Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pics of Stevens 44/44 1/2 with Pistol grip stocks? (Read 7537 times)
Paul_F.
Ex Member

Pics of Stevens 44/44 1/2 with Pistol grip stocks?
Jul 27th, 2007 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
If anyone has decent pics of a Stevens 44 or 44 1/2 with a curved grip stock ("pistol grip" just doesn't sound right in this context...)... I would appreciate seeing it!

I'm contemplating building a 44, and fancy the curved grip style from a couple small grainy pics in Grants book... mostly from the "Ladies Model" rifles.

I'm coming up empty with Google image searches (but if you search for Stevens 44 Ladies Model Custom, for some reason you get some pics of naked girls... kinda distracts from the rifle search!).

If the picture is of your rifle, and it's a "retrofit", I'd be interested to know who supplied a semi-inlet blank if you went that route.

Many thanks!
Paul F.

IP Logged

KenK
Ex Member

Re: Pics of Stevens 44/44 1/2 with Pistol grip sto
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Not the best pictures in the world but  here are some to get you started.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 5:49pm
Print Post  

I don't know who Halp is but he sure has the photos of single shots. I wish we could get him to post some of his methods, top quality stuff

Boats

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Boats, 

The screen name "halp" is a gentleman in the DC area who has been active in the single shot game for years.  I believe he was having some vision problems when I last heard from/about him and has probably quit adding new posts.  I hope he will be able to return at some time in the future but the last report I got didn't sound too encouraging.

Froggie

IP Logged

Dave_Carpenter
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
He was blinded in an auto accident , folks are helping with the site and new pictures will be added in the future I'm told.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
KenK;
Thanks!  Some real nice ones there, but like you said, not all great pics.  No examples of single triggers that I found there either.

They DO supply stocks too... so that's something to add to my notes!

Re: Halp's site.

Found that site about an hour after I posted.
Some GREAT pics there!   
I wish him a 100% recovery if possible! 
(and I'm gonna copy those pics of the Creedmoor box on his site... that would be COOL having a leather case for match stuff, if I could only get my amount of junk down to that much stuff!).

SOMEONE must have an original Stevens 44 "Ladies model" out there...

Paul F.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Halp introduced himself to me at the OGCA a couple of years ago. It was a pleasure to meet him. I am truly sorry for his accident. He has added to all of our pleasure with his many single shot rifle and accessories photos.

I wish him nothing but the best in recovery.

Dale53

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
I have never seen a Ladies rifle picture or in person.  The reproduction stevens catalogs have some pretty good drawings of them as well as the origional specs.

Paul Shuttleworth knows these rifles well and has stocks etc for orrigionals as well as his CPA action.

I am no expert on origional Stevens rifles. However it seems from the catalog the ladies model # 55 is a Stevens 52 Schutezen Jr stock without a cheekpiece, and shorter lighter barrel in small calibers. The 52 & 55 are both pistol grip

I shoot a Stevens 52 style CPA and for my size and shape need the cheek piece.  Unless you want a light gallery rifle or one for a small person I would recomend the 52. Sticking to the origional patterns you probably see more 52's on the firing line than any other style.   

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Here's a couple pictures of my Stevens 49 on a 44 frame, and my Stevens 47 on a 44 1/2 frame, and a project rifle 44 1/2:

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2007 at 8:45pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Boats;

Thanks for the model number clarifications!  I'm new to Stevens-es, and haven't got 'em all quite sorted out in my brain yet Smiley

I think (so far) that a 52 style with single trigger is my goal... until I change my mind, of course...  I only say single trigger because my "organ donor" 44 rifle is a single trigger. 

Marlinguy;
Thanks!  Some gorgeous shootin' sticks there!   
I am filled with envy... particularly for that one in that last picture.. (you ever feel the urge to sell that one, call.. oh, nevermind.. I know you're smarter than that! LOL! )

Paul F.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Paul

Remember that these rifles in target form were probaly all special order and had many options.  No doubt the Stevens factory would cross over models and stocks.

It's a topic worth exploring at gun shows with books etc before you commit to a particular stock shape

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
The Stevens Ladies Model is a unique design. It's based on the 44 receiver, but slimmed down. It's not as small as a Favorite, but ressembles that action more than it does a regular 44 action.
I have a friend who owns two Ladies Models, and they are generally a scaled down gun in almost every way. Lighter stocks, barrels, actions, etc. 
Once you've seen a Ladies Model, you'll never mistake any other Stevens for one! They are truly unique, and the difference can't be seen in a picture, unless a full sized 44 Stevens is sitting next to it in a picture.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint