Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) "Order of Operations" on a custom rifle project? (Read 9503 times)
Paul_F.
Ex Member

Re: "Order of Operations" on a custom rifle projec
Reply #15 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Having had some metallurgy training... that's interesting!

With THAT long a heat-soak, packed in charcoal, they're not JUST fully annealing the part, they're "pack carburizing" it... adding carbon to the surface. 
They're turning the surface into higher carbon steel than the rest of the part (assuming the reciever isn't already .90% carbon content.

I made a set of parallels and a set of V blocks out of mild steel and carburized them for only 6 hours and got a hard and DEEP surface (.030" of hard case). What I wouldn't give for access to that furnace the college had NOW...  Sad

A Kitchen oven would only temper/stress relieve the part, but not fully anneal it. It would make it softer, but not as soft as a full 1350F+ annealing.

Paul F.

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 8:59am
Print Post  
PAUL --- all I know is thats what I was told And. the steel cuts like a dream.  I remember that he said the part was still warm to the touch when it came out of the furnace.   ken

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Ken and Paul, sounds like good information. and for sure, the price is right.  I hate shipping things more than I have to but looks like it might be worth it.

Thanks.

Brent

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint