Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic GOVERNMENT CLASSIFIES GUN INDUSTRY AS A HOBBY (Read 2396 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

GOVERNMENT CLASSIFIES GUN INDUSTRY AS A HOBBY
Jul 14th, 2007 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Sportsmen Cry for Help as the Gun Industry Continues to Wallow In Self-Satisfied Delusions. 
By Andrew Molchan

This is the story of Mr. Scott Drummond. When Scott was growing up, his father ran a hunting lodge in western Kentucky. Scott went on to school and has two degrees in engineering. He started doing work for some of America's major corporations. Because of this background, the corporate executives started using him as their hunting guide. Scott said, "Executives of major corporations don't want to live in a tent.They want to hunt their way. I decided to open a hunting lodge and cater to upper income hunters."

In 1997 he opened a 14,000 square foot luxury hunting lodge in Arkansas next to the Ouachita National Forest. He had taken out a loan with the local bank, staffed by people who were very co-operative, and things were going great. His annual billing was approaching a million dollars. The average customer stay was $5,000, and the lodge was 100% full during season. Then the ice storm hit during the 2000-2001 hunting season. That was a setback. Furthermore, in September 2001, right at the start of hunting season, 9/11 happened. All air traffic was grounded for a week, and it took two months to return to normal. The 2001-2002 hunting season was seriously effected. His local bank, with a pro-hunting staff, said, "No problem, the SPA and FEMA will pay for much of the loss. We'll give you a $600,000 line of credit that will hold you over until the government pays you."

Mr. Drummond stated, "So I went to all the government organizations and applied for help. To make a long and sad story short, they all said that hunting, and hunting lodges, and everyone employed in hunting, and charter fishing boats, and everything in this field is classified as a hobby, and not an industry. As a hobby, they could not pay anything because they don't pay for hobby interruptions, only business interruptions. So, in disbelief I checked out the NAICS codes, and in fact everything connected to hunting is lumped into a giant category with 105 other classifications. Hunting and everyone employed in hunting do not have an NAICS code and are if fact, officially, a hobby."

Mr. Drummond went on to say, "I personally know of 25 hunting lodges that went out of business because of 9/11, and not being able to get any government help. A few years latter when hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast, over a hundred sport fishing charter boats went bankrupt and out of business because they were classified as hobbies and could not get any government help. In my case, I had spent a good part of my bank's credit line. My bank was also shocked that hunting had no NAICS classification. I had to declare chapter 13 bankruptcy, and let all of my employees go. The lodge has been sitting empty for the last three years. On the other hand, there was a liquor store a few blocks away, where we purchased liquor for lodge, and our quests would order their liquor. Liquor stores have a NAICS classification and are considered a business. The liquor store received $300,000 from the government."

Mr. Drummond continued, "Hunting lodges, dog trainers, guides, sports fishing charter boats, and everything connected to hunting and fishing desperately need an NAICS classification as an industry. There will be other natural disasters and terrorist incidents, and we will not be able to collect anything from the government because officially we're not an industry. Naturally, I looked around for some help. I started by going to Doug Painter of the NSSF Basically, he and the NSSF staff just blew me off. I don't think there's one serious hunter in 20 who even knows the NSSF exists. I went to the NRA, and perhaps with some justification they said that industry classifications is an industry issue, and not for the NRA that's mainly an organization for individual firearms rights."

Mr. Drummond showed his aggravation by saying, "I went to Washington DC to see what I personally could do. There are a lot of big numbers about hunting and fishing thrown around. What I found was that the anti-hunting Congressmen consider the hunting industry numbers to be mainly fraudulent. They told me that there's no way to verify the numbers. It's a catch-22, without industry NAICS classifications you're not real. Banks use NAICS information for loans. It's used for disaster relief, employee benefits, tax breaks and tax credits, government grants to industries, all kinds of things. Without a classification as an industry that employees people and pays taxes, we're just a collection of individuals who kill little ducks and Bambi."

Mr. Drummond has organized a meeting of like minded people with the objective of getting NAICS classifications for hunting lodges, hunting guides, sport fishing charter boats and others. The meeting will open its doors at 8:00 AM, July 30th (a Monday) in Washington DC, in the Whittem Building, room 107A. The meeting is a "Discovery Meeting," by the Department of Agriculture (DOA), with Dr. Richard Reynolds from the DOA as chairman. It is by invitation only, so call Mr. Drummond. This will probably be the one and only chance for "Discovery" and possibly some NAICS classifications before the Clintons come into power. This could be a "do or die" meeting with the DOA. Mr. Drummond's email is ScottDrummond@mac.com, and his cell phone is 660-815-4936. Or call Mr. Ron Blesser of the Sugar Grove, Ohio hunting club. His phone number is 740-746-8568.

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

KenK
Ex Member

Re: GOVERNMENT CLASSIFIES GUN INDUSTRY AS A HOBBY
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2007 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
I wish they would have given me a call.  I could have looked up their NAICS number for them.    (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2007 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Ken,
I looked into this a little prior to posting the article.  There is certainly a NAICS code (713990 - All Other Amusement and Recreation Industries) that Scott Drummonds Hunting Guide Service is associated with but the problem is there are over 100 other types of businesses using the exact same code.  So when a business applies for disaster assistance the Feds cannot determine the specific financials of the business and subsequently will not provide disaster relief.  This same situation/outcome will apply to any of the 105 businesses in the same NAICS code.

Go to (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (bottom of the page) and put in code 713990 in the NAICS code search.  Some of the other industries in the same situation are shooting clubs, hunting clubs, shooting ranges, shooting galleries, fishing guides, archery ranges, trapshooting facilities and many, many more.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

KenK
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2007 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
No disrespect texasmac but I just don't buy it.  It smells like a red herring.  I am willing to be convinced but I'm not even close to it yet.

You will find the same thing with many, many other categories.  Llama farmers, worm ranchers and dog kennels all share the same NAICS number.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint