Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Were would you start (Read 3172 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Were would you start
Jul 13th, 2007 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Off topic somewhat but.

Friend of mines Daughter wants to get on the Police force. She failed the pistol test. Did well on everything else. Failed on markmanship only no saftey or handling problems. She can re-test Pistol only in a month. He is asking for some help.  Other that watching her dry fire to see whats going on I wonder were I should start. I suspect the test is not very hard but you do need to know how to shoot. 

Any ideas ? I am not much of a pistol shooter but when I have had to shoot one my offhand rifle methods did ok for me.

Boats

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Re: Were would you start
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Find a locale law enforcement center and inquire if they have a marksman ship team. Get her in to meet and talk with there coach/instructor, as soon as possible. They should be happy to take her under wing.  Wink

IP Logged

Gary M.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Boats,

I'll try and help although there are as many thoughts on this subject as there are experts  Winkand I'm just another expert Roll Eyes, although I did manage to get several folks who were having trouble through qualification.

1.  Some folks have to overcome the Recoil/Noise result of pulling the trigger.  This can only be done by practice and mental concentration.  Some can do fine with a  .22 and fall apart with a centerfire.

2.  Both arms outstretched, body centered to the target and locked with the body center of gravity forward.  

3. 70% (more or less) of pressure holding the pistol comes from the weak hand with 30% from the strong hand.  Both thumbs up along slide but not touching the slide.  Little if any holding pressure from thumbs and both should have a locating reference.  Trigger finger should provide zero pressure and be totally free for trigger control squeeze.  Do not use the index finger of the off hand to grip the front of the trigger guard.  Weak hand fingers should lay over strong hand fingers.

4. Front sight should be the focus of concentration and be used as a pointer.  The rear sight should automatically seek proper reference to the front after a short practice time.  the eyes(both open if at all possible) should see the front sight as a pointer to where you want the bullet to impact, (ALWAYS CENTER OF MASS), much like using your finger to point at an object. 

5. Trigger finger position on trigger should allow for constant straight back travel with no pressure to push to either side. After initial shot, release trigger only far enough to re-engage the sear.

6. Mental preparedness is paramount.  Accuracy is paramount.  I have been extremely disappointed over the years with the ability of MOST Officers to shoot accurately.  I always told them the the best shot should get to go through the door LAST!  God Forbid, if you can't shoot accurately, Someone who is relying on YOU, be it fellow officer or civilian, may die as a result.  You Have to be the BEST.(Period)

I was taught this method by two experienced Officers and Instructors who are not only the best I've ever seen, but they studied hours of dash cam tapes and worked from there.  It enabled me to normally qualify at or near the top of the pile.

The department where she has applied may have there own way of doing things and some Instructors are adament about "there's is the only way", so it may be that this won't be of much help.

Let me also qualify that I was only a Reserve Officer but they paid me to help those that had problems. 

Feel free to PM me if you wish and I'll send you my phone number.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2007 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks Good advice all.

I understand the training she had in the police school was the old Boot Camp kick them in the butt and yell training. Fortuantly for me when I was in Boot camp just over 40 years ago I already knew how to shoot. You need disipline but it's not likely to help marksmanship two differnet things.

Have a session planned to watch only.  .22's no doubt are the way to go training but considering the short time avalable I am leaning toward lots of Dry firing, mastering trigger pull and building a natural positon that won't fade off when under stress or recoil.  I assume given her age eyesight and alignment is not going to be an issue,

Will post something after I know more

Boats

IP Logged

R.Dupraz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2007 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Boats:

Check your PM

R.  Dupraz

IP Logged

pmcfall
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2007 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Boats

Although I am starting an interest in shooting single shot rifles and at the risk of raising the ire of the riflemen on this forum, I will confess that I use most of my time shooting conventional (bullseye) pistol competition.  I would be happy to talk to you or your friend to help the young lady achieve accuracy.

I would have several questions to find the problem areas prior to offering any advice.  Please let me know if I can help.

Phil

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2007 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
If time is a consideration I wouldn't waste it dry firing, or shooting .22's! She needs as much time as possible on the range, with the same gun and ammo that she will use for testing!
Time spent on smaller bores or dry firing will not prepare her much for the real test. In fact they might throw her off when she tries to pass the real test.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint