Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Is there a competition for me in the ASSRA? (Read 3518 times)
BUTCHER
Ex Member

Is there a competition for me in the ASSRA?
Jul 12th, 2007 at 9:32am
Print Post  
     I would very much like to get involved with competing with my single-shot rifles in this organization.  Is there any listings of the specific rules and requirements for the different games?   
     I am concerned that my particular breach-loaded-by-hand single-shot rifles will not be accepted due to them being air rifles.  I would particularly like to train to shoot offhand at 100 and 200 yards.  That really sounds like a lot of fun.

BUTCHER

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Re: Is there a competition for me in the ASSRA?
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Welcome, BUTCHER, and I hope you like it here! I'm not aware of any restrictions on propellant type but I'm no Schuetzenmeister. Seems to me that your projectile will certainly meet the plain-base-lead rule, and only a churl would try to stop you from shooting with them as long as you were safe (and didn't take any prizes;, of course, VBG). Of course, some folks seem to be infested with a 'Contrary' virus......

Many Schuetzen shooters also shoot air rifles for practice since they are so hold-sensitive, so you already have something in common  with some of us here. IMO an air rifle is the best training for offhand shooting and also a lotta fun.

I'd be interested to see just what kinda equipment it would take for an air rifle to be competitive @ 200 yds. I've used only the smaller calibers from 177 to 22 and they pretty much run outa steam past 50 yds, but I understand that a few folks are building larger-bore air rifles that are capable of much better ballistics at somewhat longer ranges. Can you enlighten us further?
Welcome again, Joe

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Yes, do tell !  A 200 yard air rifle sound's interesting !!  Huh

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

BUTCHER
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
     I'd be happy to.

I will be testing the performance of my .45 caliber airgun this weekend with several loads at 50 and 100 yards.  It is expected to put out 144 grain roundball at around 900 fps.  I also will be shooting a .25 that will be putting out 42 grainers at around 950fps and that is the heaviest load available for now until I cast/swage my own.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

BUTCHER

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Is this a conversion of one of those Chinese jobs that I've coveted for so long?
Color me interested, Joe

IP Logged

BUTCHER
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
     You are close.  The rifle in the picture is a Korean Sam Yang 909 44 Super Gun (it's really a 45).  The older (and better) two tube version.  You can get about 180-200fpe out of it stock.  Mine has been tuned-up to around 270 maybe 300fpe.  I'll find out this weekend when I shoot various loads through my chrony.
     My other air rifle is an AirForce Condor.  I am receiving the .25 conversion kit this week.  Going to see around 80-90 fpe out of that one until I can cast my own heavier projectiles.

BUTCHER

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Outside the US a lot of Schuetzen competiton is Air Rifle.  Local Danish, German. Austrian etc clubs will have Air rifles on hand to shoot indoors offhand.  I used to shoot with the Austrian Club in Sydney Australia. One night a month they hung targets behind the bar and shoot at 10 meters on the Olympic air rifle target. Drank a lot of beer too.

Boats

IP Logged

BUTCHER
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
     I could really get into that sport.  I am going to see if the Lewis and Clark Air Rifle was available chambered in .25 so I can have a rifle custom made to compete with those quarter-bore guys.  Otherwise it's the .31-.32  I will have  three years to work on my aim for that is how long the waiting period is on that particular rifle.   

BUTCHER

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint