Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) SPG, You hafta teach the "Duke" how to spell (Read 5923 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

SPG, You hafta teach the "Duke" how to spell
Jul 11th, 2007 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
I just received the latest edition of Guns Magazine. As usual, Mike "Duke" Venturino authored a couple of articles. One, which is titled, Confessions of a Cast Bullet Nerd! includes several references to bullet "obduration", which had me initially  Huh and wondering if I've been spelling it incorrectly for years. So I quickly pulled up Wikipedia, my favorite on-line encyclopedia. Sur' 'nuf the correct spelling is obturation. You'd think the "Duke" would have this straight by now. Grin

Here's some of what Wikipedia had to say: 

Obturate means to block or obstruct. 
In conventional English usage, obturation refers specifically to the condition of being obstructed or occluded or the action of blocking, stopping, or filling something up. The mechanism by which an undersized soft metal projectile enlarges to fill the barrel is, for hollow-base bullets, due to expansion from gas pressure within the base cavity and, for solid-base bullets, upsetting - the combined shortening and thickening that occurs when a malleable metal object (e.g. a rivet) is struck forcibly at one end. 

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Re: SPG, You hafta teach the "Duke" how to spell
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Google leads me to this definition of obDurate:

"Obdurate: cussed, stubbornly persistent in wrongdoing "

Don't tell me you've never had bullets like that!

Maybe he said precisely what he meant! LOL!   Grin

Paul F.

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 9:36am
Print Post  
I was wondering what my wife was calling me!

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
There ain't never no doubt whatsoever about what My Bride calls me! I never suspected she knew all them ole bad words, she musta been listenin' outside my shop window..............
Y'all keep it between the ditches now, y'hear? Regards, Joe

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
I'm slightly Dialecktic,  The Duke could be suffering from the same malady. Since he's twice as big as the rest of us, he's probly twice as Dialecktic. So give the big guy a break. Cheesy

Joe.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2007 at 12:12am by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
What ever he is, I enjoy reading his material more than most others.

IP Logged

oldbluelight
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 11:05am
Print Post  
I think that when it comes to spelling in a published work an author is innocent until proven guilty. It may very well be the case that MLV submitted a manuscript with the correct spelling and an error or carelessness on the part of an editor using any of the spell checking programs resulted in the malapropism. You'd be amazed at how dumb a competent author can look when seen through the prism of a careless or ignorant editor. Sometimes I think they get the job because they can't write (editors, that is).

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 11:54am
Print Post  
There is a lotta truth there, seems that many editors just can't resist 'improving' their authors' usage or spelling.

And anyone who relies solely upon the spell-check function is just BEGGING to look like an idiot. There are hundreds of words that are easily confused or in some cases may not even be entered in the silly spell-check program in the first place, so the program is quite likely to cause mistakes instead of correcting them and the user should check the results very carefully indeed!

But I have to add that the job of editor is much more difficult than that of author, and a good editor is mostly taken for granted. It's human nature to complain when unsatisfied but we often forget to congratulate good performance if it 'merely' means that everything ran smoothly.

Some folks just can't resist leaving their mark (peeing is what we in the South say) on all they touch, I had a few bosses like that in the past. Those folks should NEVER become editors. Or bosses, for that matter.
JMO, regards, Joe

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
I work at a K-8 school... Not a Teacher, just the lowly computer geek.
I'm constantly frustrated by Teachers when they come into the computer lab.... admonishing their students "don't bother trying to spell everything right, just use the spell checker".   I want to punch them...

I posted this in the Lab.  One or two teachers "got it".  Several others remain blissfully ignorant. 
(I didn't write it, I got it off the internet maybe 10 years ago...)

Eye halve a spelling chequer

It came with my pea sea

It plainly marques four my revue

Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word

And weight four it two say

Weather eye am wrong oar write

It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose bee fore two long

And eye can put the error rite

Its rare lea ever wrong

Eye have run this poem threw it

I am shore your pleased two no

Its letter perfect awl the weigh

My chequer tolled me sew. 

(and you'll notice that with the exception of "Chequer" in some spell checkers, that gets a clean bill of health!).

Paul F.

IP Logged

oldbluelight
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
J. D. I stand edited, umm, make that corrected. An editor's job is a tough one and, if it's done well, invisible to the reader (and frequently to the author also). But you admit that the title 'editor' is sometimes confered far to generously on persons incapable of the work. Those are the ones I was venting against. That's why a good editor's price is beyond rubies...because they are so rare. Authors, on the other hand, are a dime a dozen ... just ask anyone in the payroll department.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I work at a K-8 school... Not a Teacher, just the lowly computer geek.
I'm constantly frustrated by Teachers when they come into the computer lab.... admonishing their students "don't bother trying to spell everything right, just use the spell checker".   I want to punch them...
Paul F.

Paul, I sympathize. The reason I'm not teachng today is the same reason many teachers and curricula these days are very much second-rate. Lack of money, lack of enough recompense for the employer to be able to demand excellence from the employee, lack of enough money to hire truly competent administrators instead of the ubiquitous and largely worthless and counterproductive 'educators' in charge of our schools today. As far as I can tell, there are only two kinds of teachers in US secondary education today: ~ 10% are relatively competent and dedicated professionals, but they are hampered by the 90% who are incompetent time-servers.

Sometimes the same can be said for editors and authors. If we the readers don't demand excellence (and reward it properly) then we'll be faced with misspellings, misusages, bad information and outright lies sometimes. I don't know whether Mike intended the misspelling but he needs to be informed that we know it's wrong and that such a simple mistake can't help but cast doubt upon the veracity of his other writings. If he's made aware of his readers' displeasure then he'll probably try to correct the problem wherever it may lie. If he doesn't or can't correct the problem, well then.....

Also, what oldbluelight said.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
JD;

I agree with you 99.999%...
But ever notice that the sucess of a states schools varies (in almost all cases) INVERSELY with it's government funding?  "more money" is not usually a positive step, it would seem, based on actual levels of education going on in the nations schools.
However, I'm the first one to point out that it's not necessarily a cause-and-effect relationship.

I sure agree that the "professional educator" has been a large step backwards for schools. Don't get me started on teachers unions...

Paul F.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Jul 14th, 2007 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Heck, even if it's spelled correctly, you guys all use too many big words for me to understand! Wink

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SPG
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jul 16th, 2007 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen,

I've been on both sides of this street.

I'd have to say that generally one realizes that the author works the "idea" angle and the editor works the "correct presentation" angle.

It's very easy to make a mistake...even after proof-reading several times. I don't think that Sheryll and I have ever put out a completely "clean" issue. And...I have seen mistakes in the biggest and best of magazines.

As far as me teaching Duke how to spell...remember, we used to spot for one another back when I shot NRA Tin Cans. There's WAY too much territory on that one!

Gute Ziele,

Steve

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint