Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rebarrel or new rifle?  (7mm) (Read 11767 times)
3sixbits
Ex Member

Re: Rebarrel or new rifle?  (7mm)
Reply #15 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
When I talked to Mecham a month or so back about some dies, he told me that he is really interested more in his reloading equipment than building rifles. He may be out of the mix if you are thinking of a rifle from him.

Of course it's none of my concern about what you do for fun, I do know it would be cheaper to "run what you brung" for a while, until you find that magic moment.  Wink

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
As to availability of the Miller action, who knows? The action was being made by Dakota which has recently been through bankruptcy, auction and bought back by the previous owner! Doesn't sound like one can count on that route. The Peregrine was our of production then back under Cooper but is no longer listed by them. I don't know what thre status of the Hall or Hoch actions are. these are great actions but it seems that unless you can get someone to part with one you better look at something else.

I agree with Froggy, shoot what you have, watch and learn. Chsances are you will get a chance to shoot other rifles without having to buy them first.

IP Logged

cam0063
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jul 5th, 2007 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Hi Cat,

After a long break from the forums, couldn`t help but add a few words here, now I have some time to regularly visit again... On your Ruger, I totally Agree with Joe... You have a Gem! 1/2 MOA @ 100, now that is too good to mess with... A quote from Mike Venturinos book "Shooting Buffalo Rifles" when he was considering rechambering his very accurate C Sharps .45-70 to .45-90 his mate Bob Glot spoke "in the same voice one would use with a very stupid child" [cutting it short here] - "please don`t go messing with a rifle that shoots this good!" "That was good advice and I heeded it" Yep, you have a great rifle there that is as complete as anyone would want for its intended tasks in the field. Keep it, you would regret changing it as much as selling it - I would Wink As for Schuetzen, I am not experienced [one day I hope to have a dedicated rifle or 2 and enjoy this great past time], However these guys know their stuff and there is some good advice to be had. Frogs advice makes a lot of sense and would be my approach... Good luck and enjoy...

cheers,

Cam...

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #18 - Jul 6th, 2007 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Finding a fast lock time striker style Schuetzen  action is certainly diificult  to obtain these days.

Here is a response from another thread about the future availability of the Yost action:

"This is true! The castings are being poured as I post this.  My company bought from the Yost family the molds and all the tooling to continue the Yost Action legacy.  We do not have a website yet, and are not ready to start taking orders, but our goal is to be in full manufacturing in the next several months.  Keep and eye here and in the Single Shot Journal for more information and a press release.  Jon Larrabee 
(jlarrabee@controlconceptsusa.com) 1 800 745-6551"

Also the rights to the Hoch action have been purchased by an avid Schuetzen shooter and hopefully his plans to refine this action will materialize.

And we can only pray that the highly prized Miller deHaas comes available again to the Schuetzen fraternity that has come to depend on it since it's creation by the late Dean Miller.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 6th, 2007 at 7:36am
Print Post  
Fast lock time striker-style, and available?  Depends...  no good for 38-55 or 32-40 (well, maybe in a pinch if breechseating) - but a BSA cadet or 12/15 action sounds like fulfilling all those criteria - unless you absolutely need a set trigger, that is...

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #20 - Jul 6th, 2007 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Ahhh so many options.  Good thing I'm not in a hurry.

I do have a Cadet that will get tweeked.

I think much range time is in order prior to making any decision.

(Here it's a temptation to ask y'all to send me your favorite rifle to try out - I won't ask you to do that because I KNOW that some of you would!    Cheesy:)  And that is something that needs to be done face to face.  So I'll see you at the next match.)

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jul 6th, 2007 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian wrote on Jul 6th, 2007 at 7:36am:
...  no good for 38-55 or 32-40 (well, maybe in a pinch if breechseating) - but a BSA cadet or 12/15 action sounds like fulfilling all those criteria - ...

My friend Fearless Frank has a Cadet 310 rechambered to 32 Win Special, a common conversion offered by the importer back in the '50s. I kinda figured that if a Cadet would handle a Special then it would probably have little trouble chambering any of the more usual 32-40 loads, even using a really long bullet. Could be wrong, though. If rim clearance is a problem (shouldn't be) then a few minutes with a small grinding burr will cure it.

The large Martini, although frequently as ugly as a Borchardt (I own both), is also an excellent choice for any accuracy-minded shooter. One of the later ones altered for the 303 cartridge should be just about perfect for a bench gun, and super inexpensive too!

If you can abide the ugliness, just think about how upset your opponents will be! I mean, after all, every single one of them would be either RAOTFLTAO or else worrying themselves into a palpitation about your new secret skunkworks tack-driver. KnowwhutImean, Vern?
Just a thought, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #22 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 1:29am
Print Post  
I looked into converting an old 310 Cadet into a Schuetzen quaterbore but wasn't successful in finding a design for a functional bullet seater for this action. While many 32 wildcat fixed ammunition conversions have been made out of Cadets has anyone been successful in setting up a breach seater that can curve downwards with long bullets into the throat and do so in the limited space left after mounting a scope?

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 3:49am
Print Post  
Ask board member 38-Cal - he shoots a 12-15 in .38 extra long with a breechseater...  You'll probably have to use a plugged case though.  I do know he put an external stud on the action for his breechseater.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 3:53am
Print Post  
J D,
The Martini is a bit of a weird action - the big ones will easily gobble up rounds like 577-450 or #2 Musket, but can choke on something like a 45-90 - the issue is 'making the bend', and long, straight cases are not too good at that.  BN's, OTOH, will go in easily, even if they are longer than that straight case...
32-40 is rather straight, and while it can be done, you would have a limited OAL for fixed cartridges - which is no issue for breechseating, of course.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint