Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rebarrel or new rifle?  (7mm) (Read 11762 times)
Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Rebarrel or new rifle?  (7mm)
Jul 3rd, 2007 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
I have a Ruger #3 custom wood and barrel (octagon) in 7mm-08 that does under 1/2" groups at a 100 yards (jacketed bullets).

I would like to shoot lead, so I'm considering having it cut and rechambered to something like 7mm TCU and breech-seating; OR I could trade for something in 30 caliber small chamber-ish.

A dilemma, I'd hate to part with such a good shooter, but 7-08 seems a bit over bore for Scheutzen.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

frederick
Ex Member

Re: Rebarrel or new rifle?  (7mm)
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2007 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Avoid aggravation and a rifle that would be marginal overall from a schuetzen standpoint. New rifle.

fred

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2007 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
I would try it the way it is. I never found large cases to be a problem, except for the safety angle(double charging possible), but I agree with Fred if you are serious about this type of shooting get a different rifle.

IP Logged

rk4570
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2007 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
If time is not a factor you could rebarrel, but in my exp. a rebarrel job would be 6 months min. & maybe more. then there is also the cost of the barrel  etc.    Cool

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2007 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
If you wish to be competitive in the Schuetzen game I would suggest you consider the equipment the top shooters are using.

The Ruger needs a lot of work to tune it up for Schuetzen and some argue it will still be too slow in terms of lock time and the vibrations set up by the forearm spring will always be an impediment. Rugers are great sporter rifles but there is a reason not many use them for the Schuetzen game. You would be better to sell your good performing Ruger and investing the cash in a custom rifle that meets your needs.

I suggest you select a Miller deHaas, a Yost, a Perigirine, a Hoch or a Hall action to mount a RKS gain twist barrel on. These falling block actions have fast lock times. Or you can go the route of customizing a Winchester Highwall to improve the trigger, speed up the lock time, and convert the firing pin with a Neidner firing pin and stabilize the stock with a through bolt conversion, install a set trigger and a forearm hanger etc. (if you have a lot of money and patience and can find a good gunsmith willing to do all of the necessary conversions. 

I believe over 95% of schuetzen competitors are using a 32 caliber in the 200 to 235 grain range and with twists of 1:14 to 1:11.5. Of course many argue the heavier bullets with tighter twists perform better in the wind.

I would definitely suggest you build yourself a custom rifle if you are serious about Schuetzen.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2007 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Ability to select caliber and rate of twist.
Trigger options.
LOCK TIME
Custom stock options ...

Thanks!  That broadens my perspective.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2007 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
When tooling up for a new shooting style, a good way to go is to hang out, go to some of the bigger matches.

Doing so will get you exposed to new people that have a lot of gear and get you introduced to the gunsmiths of that group.

It won't be long and you will get to find a lot of gear that for one reason or another will be up for sell.

You can save a lot of money this way and have gear that is easier to sell when that time comes if you are careful. 

Just my two cents. Smiley

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2007 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
I well understand the buying and selling (did gun shows for 14 months).

I often picked up one of my 'dream' rifles when someone else got the hots for a different dream or retired from shooting or ...

So many toys, so little time.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2007 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Cat_Whisperer wrote on Jul 3rd, 2007 at 4:00pm:
I have a Ruger #3 custom wood and barrel (octagon) in 7mm-08 that does under 1/2" groups at a 100 yards (jacketed bullets).

That is a near-perfect example of a rifle that IMO, should you have the misfortune to get rid of it, you would regret and rue the loss for the rest of your life.

Been there, done that, 'cause I was young & dumb. Please don't make the same mistake, sell something else if you hafta but don't let a good shooter get away (unless you give it to a friend, of course)!
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 6:17am
Print Post  
Agree 100%.

A friend of mine says, "guns are meant to be bought."  (Note the emphasis on the period.)

I think that's why folks that have as many guns as I do scare the hell out of me.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

r3727
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 7:15am
Print Post  
What price for the Ruger #3 if you decide to sell? Any pictures?
r3727

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 7:33am
Print Post  
I believe all those actions mentioned by schuetzendave as the most desirable are either out of production or difficult to come by. The easiest route to a new rifle is a CPA (or Ballard or Meacham if you can spend that kind of money) in your caliber of choice. The RKS barrels are unquestionably good but are not the only route. I have seen very high, match-winning, scores fired by SPG with a Douglas barrel. 

You could always take that Ruger and try it for a while and see if you if you WANT to go further. As to the Ruger action, lighter speedlocked hammers are available as are set triggers. The lock time will be slower than a striker-fired actionm by milliseconds. Working on follow-through can help offset that.

Well, that should stir up enough hornets for one post!

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Well, since the rifle is accurate as it is with jacketed bullets, breach seating is in order.   

Selling is a MOST difficult decision; not in the cards this year.

Even rechambering it would take till at least October around here.

The trigger was done by the former owner, although I have had a Canjar trigger on another that I liked VERY much.   

Building or trading for something seem to be the realistic options

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Agree with Don on CPA.  I had a CPA BPC rifle and wanted a Scutetzen. Was on Millers waiting list for years.  Went back to Paul Shuttleworth and within a few months was shooting a new Scheutzen set up properly with all the acessories required.  I understand Ballard or Meachum can do the same.  Not only that the things I was not too sure about I took Pauls advice and it was the right way to go.

While I think a modern SS action with heavy short barrel and short .32 cartridge has more potential they are not easy to buy.  The only thing easy about getting one is the internal adjustment scope. It's a shame turn key is not out there for most Shuetzens and If I am wrong would like to know.  I did get a letter from Miller after Dakota bought them that my number was up. Must have been 6 years after I put the order in.

As far as the cost I sold a number of unused rifles and pistols and paid for the CPA complety from Surplus. So it was Free.  I think you can get into a CPA for 1500 or so, add scope bullet mold etc and you have 2000  bucks. Of course you can spend more with better scope iron sights mechanical seater powder measure. on and on.   

That Ruger 7mm 08 is pretty sell-able  would not mind having it myself.

Boats

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #14 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Hey, Cat,   

First, let me say how happy I was glad to see you and your shooting partner Dale show up and shoot at Brushy Mtn.  As you saw, once bitten, forever smitten, it seems.  I would suggest you make haste slowly as far as selling favorite old pieces goes...I let a plain sporter high-wall and a basic 44 1/2 Stevens get away from me because I thought I wanted to get a competitive rifle right away.  Five years later I was still chasing and building, and would have loved to have both of them back!

That big blaster you used here will be much more manageable if you hang the biggest, heaviest scope you can find on top of it and down load some rounds equivalent to the target 45-70.  As I recall, you are also in the midst of building something that will also be competitive...not on a "national" level, perhaps, but fun to get started with.  As others have said, you can order something from Ballard Rifle, CPA, or others as you decide what it is you really want to shoot long term.  If you go to many of the matches, there will be some rifles for sale at many of them as well.  I do know of people who have died waiting for that "perfect" rifle everyone said they should order while they could have been enjoying shooting a "lesser" rifle.

I guess what I am saying is that you can spend a lot of time and money chasing the right rifle without a real plan for what you want to catch in the end.  I know I did.  Do some shooting at matches with what you have and are already building and have fun.  You will then be able to decide what you really want to go after rather than what everyone else tells you is what you need.  Stay in touch.

Froggie

PS  I guess I've been in a more introspective mood while I was writing this, and those who know me well will say it's a case of saying, "do as I say, not as I did."  As with all advice, it's worth at least what you pay for it, but that's my take on it this morning.  YMMV

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint