Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Pope -Stevens sights (Read 2679 times)
Bruce P

Pope -Stevens sights
Jun 30th, 2007 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
More questions..................

Regarding the Pope-Stevens sight as mfg. by Parts Unknown.

Have any of you used this sight? I read much about the good quality of this equipment. I would appreciate any comments.

I presume that this sight is "click-adjustable" if so how much per click? 1/4 MOA?  

Is it an improvement over the vernier/soule style sight?

Would it fit onto my CPA without any modifications?

All opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Bruce

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Re: Pope -Stevens sights
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Bruce, this sight is not "Click Adjustable" in any way. It is an exact reproduction of Popes sight. The elavation is managed by moving two locknuts that bind against each other on a screw. The Windage is a left to right motion in a Dovetail managed by a Screw. There is a Vernier scale. The elavation is a pain. It has been said that Pope designed it that way on purpose as he felt many shooters were too quick to make sight changes. The Parts Unknown is exactly the same as my original Pope sight except it is better finished. Parts Unkown sends very clear directions on adjustments. Parts Unknown makes these with Bases to fit a number of Rifles. I know he makes it for original Stevens and I suspect that he will supply it with a Base with hole spacing for the CPA rifles if they in fact are different than the original Stevens. Sergio is a nice guy to tslk with and is quite knowledgable. HTH. Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Pope tang sights are cool looking, whether original or Parts Unknown, but they are a pain to adjust! I wouldn't use one for any type of shooting that requires much adjustment.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
What FITZ and marlinguy said about adjustment and the Pope.  I had for testing the very first example from Parts Unknown, and for looks and finish it was tops.  On the other hand the adjustment is cumbersome at best.

I would love to have a Pope tang sight on a gallery rifle that would not be adjusted a lot or perhaps even an offhand .22 for 100 yd schuetzen, but if I were thinking about BPCS or even CF schuetzen @ 200 yds, I think I would have to look elsewhere.  It's long on cool but pretty short on ease of adjustment.

JMHO,
the Azure Amphibian

IP Logged

Bruce P

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys,

I think I'll stay with the equpiment I have. MVA sporting tang.

One sees these things and becomes intrigued, and wonders if another has experimented with them.

Thing is all the present manufacturers bend over backwards to satisfy nearly every facet of the sport. How fortunate we are.

Bruce

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2007 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
I have an original Pope-Stevens on my Peabody Martini Kill Deer...yep, it's a pain to adjust for elevation, but windage is easy, and is used much more than the elevation adjustment.  Yep, it's a cool looking sight, on a good looking rifle!

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint