Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Soule sights compared (Read 2786 times)
frederick
Ex Member

Soule sights compared
Jun 30th, 2007 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
I have been using a Parts Unknown rear sight for my iron sight shooting. This one has a long staff and it's disconserting to be
able to move the staff very, very slightly backwards and forward. I do recall in shooting
the M1 at 1,000 yards one always "set" the sight just before each shot
by applying a bit of pressure downward and forward. I do this with
the above mentioned sight. Also, need advice as to compensating for the slack in the verniers; should I go past a mark and then backup to
remove the slack? Any suggestions or opinions as to the sight itself or
techniques using it would be greatly appreciated.

fred

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Soule sights compared
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 8:05am
Print Post  
I will try to be brief something I have a hard time doing.

On slack and going past a mark and returning. This pratice is populer with internal adjustment scopes. Since the "sight raidius" inside a modern scope is so short very small differences in movemet makes a large difference in inpact. On a single shot with say 28 inches of sight radius and a venier to set the elevation it's not nessicary.   

I don't do it with my scopes. If they won't click properly I get it fixed or get rid of it.  There may be a reason to do the past and back routine with click adjustable Iron sights but using lots of Lymans and Redfields I have never needed to.  Thinking back I may have been told to do the down and back routine with a M1 sight in boot camp, that sight was roughly made and had lots of slack.

Anyway with my single shots I set visualy using the venier and don't worry about which way I came to the setting.  If you are not sure how repeatable you sight is I suggest putting a dial caliper on the sight setting and resetting a couple of times recording the dials reading.  as a rough rule of thumb .001 is one MOA with a long barrel tang sighted rifle.   

On the staff.  Sometimes the sight staff hits my hat on recoil and does not return to battery properly. It's imedeataly obvious since the peep hole will look oblong when sighting on the target next time.  If I flick it once the spring always returns it to the same place. Again a dial caliper will tell you right away of yours is not returning properly.

Boats

IP Logged

frederick
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Thanks for your comments, I'll do some measuring. The sight in question returns to battery o.k. but when in that position there is
a couple of .001's wiggle back and forth.

fred

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Fred,

Slight fore and aft (front and back) movement in the staff of a soule sight is not detrimental to the functioning and accuracy of the sight.  For example, let’s assume the top of the staff moves back and forth as much as 1/8”.  A simple trigonometric calculation will confirm that the corresponding vertical error of the peephole is no more than plus or minum 0.0005”, which is much less, typically a factor or 20 or 20 times less than the maximum accuracy capabilities of the vernier scale on the sight.  And this calculation assumes the peephole is at full height, the worse case condition.  So don’t worry about the slight movement as long as the sight correctly snaps back into battery.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Also, so far as lost motion in the adjustment threads goes, not to worry.

If you're moving the sight to align the vernier marks then it doesn't matter about pre-tensioning the threads, the alignment will be the same regardless of any pre-tension from either direction.

If, however,  you're moving the sight a certain definite distance or adjustment value past or before a certain mark on the scale, then the adjustment must always be made from the same side in every case, so that the thread pre-load (and thus the sight's actual movement) are the same in every instance.

This applies to all instruments that use threads as the sole agent for positioning the adjustment, such as most mechanical iron sights. Most scopes however, especially internal-adjustment ones, also use a spring to (supposedly) take all the slack out of the adjustment.

If you trust this spring and its lubrication & free movement, then you don't need to worry about pre-tensioning the threads. If you're not quite sure, then always approach the new sight postion from the direction that increases the spring tension. I don't worry too much about the external-adjustment scopes 'cause their springs and tubes are visible and can be manipulated to ensure the same relative position to the adjustment knobs, but I ALWAYS double-ensure the adjustment on the internal-adjustment ones, by approaching the new position from the tension-increasing side and then tapping lightly on the turret with the back of my Swiss Army knife.

(You don't carry a pocketknife? Then you have my utmost sympathy, 'cause you're obviously not from the South...............VBG!)
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

frederick
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 6:37am
Print Post  
I really appreciate the thoughtful and studied replies to my questions re: my Parts Unknown sights and verniers in general. The ASSRA Forum is a blessing.

fred

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint