Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New 50 shot bench record (Read 5379 times)
frederick
Ex Member

New 50 shot bench record
Jun 24th, 2007 at 10:37am
Print Post  
schuetzendave

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: New 200 yard scope record   

On May 8 th. I had a very good day and broke the 1996 Earl Hines Raton record of 1241(41x) for 200 yard 50 shot plain base cast bullet using a scope off the bench. 

I was fortunate to shoot a 1245 (45x) which included two perfect targets at Tommy Mason's International Benchrest competition at Nine Mile Falls, WA. 
The five targets scored 247, 249, 249, 250 & 250. 

The smallest of the two perfect targets had a 10 shot group size of.799 

This is from the Wyoming Schuetzen Union forum.

fred

IP Logged

frederick
Ex Member

Re: New 50 shot bench record
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Equipment:

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject:    

The rifle was a Miller deHaas. 
The caliber was .321X1.470 RKS. 
The barrel was a Ron Smith 11.5 gain twist. 
The primer was Remington 7 1/2. 
The powder was 13.2 grains H108. 
The lube was Alberta Schuetzen. 
The wad was pipe insulation. 
The bullet was a 232 grain Jones. 
The scope was a 6-24x Burris. 
The bullet seater was a Weber. 
The alloy was 20:1. 

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 6:06am
Print Post  
I don't know why there has been no response, but I'm just amazed that a person could shoot 2 250s out 5 targets in a match. The shooter is to be congratulated on this wonderful shooting . What is his real name? 
joe brennan

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Frederick, looks like you had a VERY good day indeed!  Congratulations on a fine series of targets...lots of folks (it seems) can do pretty well ONE time in a row, but your excellent FIVE target string says you are indeed doing something very right!  Cheesy

I would like to ask one question, if I might.  What is meant by "pipe insulation" for your wad?  Here on the right coast, pipe insulation is usually 1" or more thick rubbery foam.  I would really love to hear what you are using and how it's put into the case.   Undecided

Congratulations again and TIA for the info.   
Charlie Shaeff
the Green Frog

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
frederick;
             An exceptiional day at the range,  CONGRADS---leadball

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 10:43am
Print Post  
This new record was shot by Dave Patterson from St. Albert, Alberta, Canada. Fred only forwarded a thread from the Wyoming Schuetzen forum.

The pipe insulation is is the black thick foam stuff they sell to insulate 3/4" copper pipe.

The thick wads are inserted to be level with the top of the 32 RKS case (357 Max @1.470 tapered with .223) to prevent the wrinkling/lube denting of the cases that occurs when you place wads on the powder column and use  hotter powder loads.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Thanks, Schuetzendave.  Is there ever any residue problem in the bbl from that foam or does it all burn/get pushed out?

Froggie

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #7 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
The wad is pushed out of the barrel and looks like a big black bumble bee was in the barrel when you take a shot. Contrary to popular belief the wad material does not burn or melt.

There is no additional carbon build up or fouling of the barrel from use of this wad material.

However the use of JB's bore paste is the only effective way I know of for cleaning the carbon fouling that eventually builds up in all barrels that are only cleaned with bore cleaning solvents. Knowledge learned from having access to a good bore scope.

The longer wad also helps prevent lube blow back around the front edges of the case mouth. I believe it helps seal the side of the case mouth from gas blow around until sufficient pressure builds up for the brass to seal against the side of the chamber. The longer wad also prevents twisting of the elevated wads when transporting or handling filled cases. Nothing worse than a powder spill in a Miller action in the middle of a competition.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
I struggled for three years trying to get my Miller to shoot the way I thought it was capable of. Three things that immediatedly tightened up the group size and contributed to the new record were.

1.) I went to a Weber bullet seater that is adjustable and has a longer throw. By being able to fine tune my chamber volume and having a seater that aligned the bullet straight every time, I increased my per target score by an average of 6.6 points.

2.) I bought a new Jones bullet mould since my bullets were coming out oval even after I tightened up the worn pins. Face it, bullet molds can wear out after more than 30,000 castings.

3.) I went to thicker elevated wads to prevent case wrinkling and lube blow back. I believe the thick wads also helps protect the base of the bullet from deformation and/or gas cutting due to the increased insulation from the thicker wad. Also I think the thicker wad helps wipe the barrel of excess lube and fouling resulting in a more consistent enviroment in your barrel for the next shot.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Dave,

I assume that we're going to see your smiling face this coming August in Raton. Yes?

Bob

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
My wife and son advises I will be present (either dead or alive) for the birth of our first grand child (beginning of August) So I will be unable to play with you guys at Raton until next year since my life and trigger finger have been severly threatened. but on the other hand I already have a 25 RKS Highwall being made up for this grand child.

IP Logged

Wapiti

Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2007 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Gents,

Check your schedules- Raton starts in July again this year!

Good shooting. Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint