Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) External adjusted scopes (Read 6701 times)
JerryW
Participating Member

External adjusted scopes
Jun 22nd, 2007 at 11:46am
Print Post  
You think anyone will ever produce thease again? The old guns look funny with those new ones on them. JerryW

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: External adjusted scopes
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Spoke with a guy at the Eau Claire, WI, ISSA Schuetzenfest last weekend who is working with a production facility in eastern Europe to have the Unertl duplicated, but with nitrogen filling and good seals.  Trying for a price range of $500-$600.  More as I learn more...

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Good news, but they'd better check the quality of their sand for their lenses. The superior quality of the old-time Pennsylvania sand deposits is one of the main things that made Unertls famous. Some, but I emphasize only some, of the present-day Austrian sand is adequate, but only just. Scarcity of good sand is one of the main reasons that modern quality optics are so expensive, believe it or not.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
I suspect that the day is not far off when plastics will be better than glass. Maybe even already.  There are some amazing plastics out there.

Brent

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
The principle reason B&L was considered top dog was because of their ownership of the finest know deposit of quartz sand on the planet.

I thought that was in Minnesota?

IP Logged

j_c_johnson

C C Johnson's grandson

Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
My father met John Unertl in the 30's at Camp Perry on commercial row (back when it was in tents) and got a tour of the Unertl facilities in the early 80's.  At that time civilian sales were of low interest due to military contracts (Dad said 
Unertl was very proud to be the sole source for Trident sub periscope lenses)

Too bad they put so many eggs in the government contract basket!

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
One of the reasons Leica's are so expensive (other than being hand built) is they have the finest quality lenses.  It is readily apparent - you can take any other camera with the same focal length lense and take the same picture (from the same tripod) on the same type of film - develop the films - you don't have to ask which one is which, the difference is obvious.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Old glass is nice stuff, no doubt about it.  But modern grinding and esp. modern coatings are pretty special. 

All of that is great and wonderful, and even important.  In a binoculars, a spotting scope and maybe even a hunting scope (don't have one).  But why does it matter to a target rifle?  Really, for Schuetzen shooting, I would wager than not one point is dropped due to the difference between Unertl quality glass and Tasco quality glass.  Mind you, I'm only refering to the glass.  We can't really know this, but I think we all obsess obout target scope glass way too much.  Quality of the knobs, the return from recoil the  mounts, etc. matter more.

Brent

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2007 at 12:51am
Print Post  
What Brent said. And I'm a guy who likes Unertls above all others, and it's still what Brent said.

My good friend Fearless Frank made an excellent point recently. He owns a few thousand acres of (deer hunting) land with a lot of long shooting vistas, out to over 1000 yds, as well as lots of narrow and poorly-lit shooting lanes and woods. We were discussing hunting glass and our poor experiences with some brands and preferences for others. I lamented that I had never read or even heard of a credible side-by-side comparison of a representative variety of scopes by someone I'd consider reliable, so I really didn't know how much I was giving up by using Leupolds on most of my hunting rifles.

Frank is an experienced and widely-traveled hunter and clays shooter, owns & shoots many serious target rifles with Unertl, Swarovski, Zeiss, etc optics, and I therefore value his opinion. His opinion ain't always gospel but I always value it 'cause he's a smart & experienced outdoorsman. His words eventually turned into a kind of epiphany for me when I tried what he said and saw he was right.

He said "If you can see it with your binoculars, you can kill it with your Leupold scope." I repeat, I tried it and he was right. I use Leica Geovids, I've found nothing better, and their superiority to the Leupold glass was very apparent, but the less-sharp & less-bright Leupold scopes were still perfectly adequate for any animal spotted, no matter how poorly-lit or far away.

And 200-yd target shooting with a spotting scope handy sure makes for a whole lot easier viewing than a poorly-lit animal at extended range. So, what Brent said. But I still like my Unertls for braggin' rights, they just kinda go with a rifle of a certain quality. (VBG)
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 23rd, 2007 at 6:43am
Print Post  
"He said "If you can see it with your binoculars, you can kill it with your Leupold scope." I repeat, I tried it and he was right. I use Leica Geovids, I've found nothing better, and their superiority to the Leupold glass was very apparent, but the less-sharp & less-bright Leupold scopes were still perfectly adequate for any animal spotted, no matter how poorly-lit or far away."

Schmidt&Bender Is like  what Leica is to all other binos. I'm sure no expert, I just know what I can see better with.

I live in a valley surrounded by mountains. You can do a side by side comparison between new Zeiss, Leupold LPS and S&B here and with my tired old eyes, I see a difference.

I find reading what Brent has to say reminds me of my days of 20/10 vision.

I find what J.D. has to say reminds me of my experience before getting hit with my current eye problems.

I own the worlds best, I believe in optics, and I would gladly trade it off in a second for my iron sight vision of the past.

I don't care about what it takes to keep me shooting, I just know the time is coming when I won't be able to any longer. Now that sucks, so use whatever works for you and be happy that it does work for you.   Shocked

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 23rd, 2007 at 7:08am
Print Post  
Just like the thing about just which American car really is an AMERICAN car these days, one must be careful about comparing rifle scopes, binoculars, cameras, etc. on the basis of optical quality. Very few scopes or cameras made ANYWHERE these days use glass made anywhere other than Japan. To my understanding this includes some of the buggest names in European optics. 
As for USA made rifle scopes (there are only 2 makes other than small semi-custom operations) as recently as 2000, only one of them made their own glass. It wasn't Leupold. The acquisition of the other American scope manufacturer by Beretta may have changed where their glass comes from. Owning and using Burris scopes has never held the stauts thing like Leupold but those who have used them generally say (as have some Leupold users) they are brighter than Leupold. They are as rugged and reliable.

None of the above has much to do with why I like Unertl or other external adjustment scopes. I like them because of their ease of repeatability and their greater range of adjustment which in some cases allows them to do what no internal adjustment scope can do. For instance, I cannot see any modern scope accommodating the trajectory of a BPCR much past 200 - 300 yards, if that far. The amount of elevation change required to add 100 yards shooting disrtance  with a BP velocity often is nearly enough to use up the total range of elevation adjustment in a modern scope. Not many of them will go to a thousand yards with a modern high velocity rifle.

Besides all that, Unertl types just LOOK right on old rifles. Almost as right as Malcolms.

JMH(?)O

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 23rd, 2007 at 10:00am
Print Post  
I found a lot of good information on this web page, they have a lot of useful insight on the scope market. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)  Cool

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 23rd, 2007 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Quote:

As for USA made rifle scopes (there are only 2 makes other than small semi-custom operations) as recently as 2000, only one of them made their own glass. It wasn't Leupold.  Owning and using Burris scopes has never held the stauts thing like Leupold but those who have used them generally say (as have some Leupold users) they are brighter than Leupold. They are as rugged and reliable.

JMH(?)O    

It's my understanding that most of the good sand now comes from several places in SE Asia, now in somewhat of a state of political flux. I believe that's where Leupold gets most of their glass.

I avoided Burris scopes in the past because of their (tenuous, ancient) connection to the truly pitiful Redfield brand, but did purchase one of their small Scout scopes for my Win 1890. I've been extremely pleased and will probably buy Burris again.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #13 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 1:53pm
Print Post  

I still like iron sights, all of the above not withstanding.   Cheesy

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
I don't have iron sights on my heavy 300 Mag, nor on the 223 and 219 Improved and 22-250 varminters. All others including all 22LRs have iron sights and most also have quick-detach scopes of either the Unertl or Leupold style, or in one case both. Irons are still fine in my book but my old eyes require a scope for most game shooting, to be sporting and fair to the game. Probably won't be long until a scope will be all I can use, unfortunatetly.

BTW Brent is right about the Lyman 17, I like 'em a lot and enjoy the wide variety of inserts available.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint