Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) .40 Caliber Schuetzen (Read 8929 times)
DonH
Ex Member

.40 Caliber Schuetzen
Jun 13th, 2007 at 5:59am
Print Post  
IF putting together a rifle in .40 caliber for 200 yd work and shot mainly with breech-seated bullets which case would be suggested? This is not to ask if one thinks the .40 is good, bad or indifferent for the task. I have my reasons for considering it which probably have no bearing on other's needs.

Cases which come to mind are the .40-50 Sharps (SS & BN). Something could be done with a short case like a .38-40 or .44-40 for breech-seat only.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: .40 Caliber Schuetzen
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 8:26am
Print Post  
Don
I would use a 40 stright case. Anywhere from 40-50 to 40-70 would do the trick. Using the stright case you can seat a wad anywhere along the inside length of the case. I would start with a 40-50 stright then if you want to cahnge anything there is room to re-chamber. 
40 Rod

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 8:32am
Print Post  
What John said Cool

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Good morning Don!  When I started playing around with that .40-40 Maynard of mine (which I made from a .30-40 case with a brass "washer" added to the rim) a while back, that pathway showed a LOT of promise very quickly.  Since there are several standard .40s that are basically the .30-40 or .303 Brit case straightened out and cut to length, that is where I would go if I were pursuing the project you mention.  IIRC, the later "normal rimmed" Maynards in their .40 cal series were available in 40, 50, 60 and 70 grain loadings by simply making the chamber and brass longer.  This would be a pretty cool way to experiment as well...start small and go until you get the result you want.

All the best,
Charlie the Frog

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Don:

The .40-50 Sharps Straight case will have more than enough capacity for imitation gunpowder loads. If I was going to build a Black Powder Schuetzen load the .40-50 SS is the chambering I would use.

I suspect I understand your reasoning and I think the .40 is an excellent idea. I have found the .40s to show excellent accuracy with cast bullets and fixed BP loads. I think some fine work could be done with a breech seated .40 if the rifle was heavy enough to take excess recoil out of the equation.

Glenn

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Thanks Men;

Those are the kind of comments I hoped to see. And from those with experience with .40s. I am aware of one .40 using a short tapered case. This one is very interesting but is a breechseat-only proposition . It might be the ideal should I commit to such a project and restrict it to schuetzen only. I am not sure I would want to preclude the use of fixed ammunition. 

Glenn;
Re: your comments regarding rifle weight, I have thought of that . Weight may be the easiest part of the equatiion. There are downsides to the idea like heavier recoil and handling the heavier rifle required. The major possibility on the plus side might very well outweigh all the negatives. BTW, this would be a bench-only rifle as is 40 Rod's .40.

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
I am having fun with mine. An 18 lb. Hepburn in .40-60 Maynard.

IP Logged

Wapiti

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Grin Ron Long shot a High Wall .40/65 for a bench gun at Golden one year (early '90s) - very accurate.

While working up a load in the 100 yd. tunnel it literally put 5 shots thru the same hole. I didn't believe it and I was watching!

Good shooting!

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Dangerous Dan the Torpedo Man used a Browning 40-65 to earn both plaques (iron sights and scope) of the Pedersoli MOA Challenge. The criteria is four witnessed consecutively-fired groups, all under 1 MOA C-to-C, at 100 yds as I recall.

The key word here is consecutive. Try it sometime with the irons if you want a real challenge, there's many a slip 'twixt...............
I hafta reluctantly give Dan credit for being a good shooter, regards, Joe

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Bench only may be the saving factor with a 40 cal. You can make the rifle as heavy as you like

I shoot both 32/40 and 38/55 offhand.  I can tell you there is a definate fatigue factor in the larger cartridges shooting a Hudson match. I still like the 38/55 and shoot it often but if I was betting on scores would pick up the 32/40 evertime.

Boats

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #10 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Don- If you don't mind a wildcat look at the .307 and .356 Win. cases- .308 with a 30-30 rim. Cut off at the base of the shoulder they are 1.5" long and 40 caliber! .225 Win will work too. Chamber using std. 308 reamer and bore for the rim. Another advantage that it also has is the soft transition into the throat (cut separately) given by the shoulder radius on the reamer.

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 6:11am
Print Post  
Gentlemen;

I will fill in some blanks which I purposely open in my initial post. Thise who know me know this already - that I am right-handed and WAS right-eye dominant but now shoot left handed and with all the magnification I can get. I manage to do relatively well off the bench though any good shooter need not fear. I do however require some spotting assistance at 200 yds and sometimes at 100 with the .22. What I intend to experiment with is how much better I might be able to see the bullet holes made by a larger caliber. That would make things much easier.
Over time I may play at offhand (and maybe with offset scope mounts which would allow me to shoot RH again) to see what sort of proficiency (?) I might attain. Given the high magnification scope required and the attendant eye fatigue and at this point, the extreme wobble factor from the LH thing it makes more sense to shoot BR and enjoy it. All that said, the heavier recoil and necessarily heavier rifle would be a small price to pay if it makes it easier to continue to enjoy the sport and need to trouble others less in order to do so. FIRST I need to see how much it might help things.

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 10:04am
Print Post  
DonH
            A friend from Tenn. has an interesting 40 cal, he uses a 40/65 chambering reamer and chambers just deep enough to use a 44/40 [or 38/40] case, using this chambering  reamer you can shoot fixed or breechseated bullets. Its called the 40 Nickols and shoots very good.  leadball

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
greetings don h,

have a 40 breech only. the case is a 30-40 krag cut off at the shoulder. shoots great..

,,ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 12:06am
Print Post  
Just to throw in my 2 cents since I  have a very accurate HiWall which Ron Long re-barreled for me some years ago. Ron Long's 40-65 is not a normal 40-65 as it has a neck! RCBS even makes Ron Long dies! I never shot mine with smokless, but with a load of Swiss 1 1/2 it is FANTASTIC.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint