Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Locations for lead (Read 5442 times)
sunvale1
Ex Member

Locations for lead
May 30th, 2007 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Since the cost for lead is getting so high, were can a person purchase some good lead alloy in the Michigan area and surrounding states within about 200 miles. Shipping cost is also a consideration in the purchase. I like to go and get it.
sunvale

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Re: Locations for lead
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2007 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
In the Muzzleblast there is a fellow that advertizes Pure Lead, Pure Tin.

Harold Barnes
231 E Thorington St
Universal IN 47884
765 832 6620

I have never gotten any from him but have always been curious, because if my source should ever dry up.

No costs in the ad, just what is above.

I would like to know if you do get hold of him.

IP Logged

sunvale1
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2007 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
ASST,
I gave him a call and left a message. If it is him, I will check prices. He is about 150 miles from mejust west of Indi.
Thanks
sunvale

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2007 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Mr. Sunvale. Where in Michigan are you? I live about 25 miles East of Lansing just off I-96. I have lead! and some tin! If you are close I'm sure we can get togeather. Call me at 517-521-3635.   Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2007 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
"woodie" Woodruff usually brings a truckload of really prime 24 or 25/1 to the Fall shoot.  but it doesn't last a real long time.  the line forms when he pulls in.  I always try to buy a couple hundred # each fall to add to my small hoard in the basement.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

sunvale1
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 30th, 2007 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
I melt down all the wheel weights I can lay my hands on and hord it for cowboy shooting. Use a furnace that bottom purs and melts 350# at a time. Makes casting 500# of 10lb ingots short work.
sunvale

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Make a few calls to the public works superintendent of your local communities. Many cities and villages around here have been replacing lead water pipe, and in about five years I was able to get over 2,000 lbs of lead pipe. Also contact the local utililty contractors. They usually get to keep the lead pipe that they remove from the ground.  I realize this is blasphemy for Schuetzen shooters, but if you like to use wheel weights, and I use them a lot, contact the tire dealers in your area. I used to leave a five gallon pail with my phone number on it and they would call when it got full. Depending on how long I live , I probably have a lifetime supply of lead pipe and wheel weights. An alloy of 60% lead pipe and 40% wheel weights is VERY soft. I use it for 45-70 and 38-55.  I use straight WW water quenched for 308,30-06,etc. I hope you find this info usefull. Joe S

IP Logged

sunvale1
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
When it come to finding lead, I'm always a day late ot a dollar short.  I have a couple of places that do the bucket thing for me and I bring them doughnuts or pizzas for the WW. I use the WW for coboy shooting only.  How good of a bullet do you make out of the 60%-40% mix. I was under the impression that it borders on sacriledge using such a mix of bullet lead in a Sharps or other such fine gun.
sunvale 
aka
Peter

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
It's one of those don't ask dont tell sorta things. Or if asked , lie. Just good common sense. Same go's for plastic wad's. And duplex loads. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
The 60/40 lead pipe to wheelweights makes very good bullets if I do my part. With fixed ammo, I have not been able to notice a difference between the 60-40 and 20/1 or 30/1 lead pipe and tin. Until I notice a difference, I will shoot the WW since they are a lot cheaper than tin. I will try breechseating again this fall, and will compare the different allowy again. I assume that this has been done many times in the last 100 years and that there is a reason why Schuetzen shooters prefer the tin alloy. But so far, in my rifles, I see no advantage. Joe S

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint