Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic dot reticles (Read 4132 times)
wufhunter

dot reticles
May 22nd, 2007 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Does anyone use "dot reticles" for offhand shooting?  What has your success or lack thereof been and what size of dot(MOA or portion thereof) did you use?  I've used the plain crosshair and am curious if there is an advantage to the dot type.  Thanks in advance.
wufhunter

Buaidh no bas

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: dot reticles
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2007 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
The 1/4 min dot on the fine crosshairs of my 15X Lyman STS make me THINK I am doing better with my offhand rifle.   Roll Eyes  I think it is mostly a matter of taste and what you are used to.  I have the same arrangement on the 8X TS Jr on my rimfire rifle, but simple crosshairs on my bench gun.  Go figure!  Undecided

Froggie

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2007 at 6:14am
Print Post  
I like a dot, My modern offhand Silouette scopes have all be altered to dot's 1/2 MOA. They are much favored by Silouetter shooters. Some shooters use even larger as much as 1 moa. Of course Steel Silouettes are large.   1/4 is to my mind too small for offhand while with the ASSRA target 1 moa would more than cover the center.  I suspect 1/2 is right for our game.

My Schuetzen Scopes, two Unertils and one STS do not have dots. And I wish they did.  Aftere this season if I settle on only using one external adjustment scope will send it off to have a dot installed

Boats

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2007 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
I have a Burris with a 1/8 minute dot and one with a 1 minute dot.
I found the 1 minute dot covers the bull. With the 1/8 minute dot I am able to center and acquire the bullseye (sight picture) better which allows me to shoot better offhand when using greater than 20X magnification. 

If you just use the red area as your sight picture then the size of the dot doessn't matter. However as you develop your skills and actually use the white bull with higher power scopes, a finer dot is more beneficial to quicker acquisition of sight picture. And the quicker you are able to acquire sight picture the more accurate you will be able to shoot since the oxygen to your eye is depleting within 10 to 15 seconds. And the longer you take to get the shot off the less accurate you will be able to shoot offhand.

IP Logged

wufhunter

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2007 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Thank you on and all.  I'm going to have to try a dot, just didn't want to go where no one has been before! Grin  Any insight on who can do the job on a Unertl scope?  Thanks in advance
Wufhunter

Buaidh no bas

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2007 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

TK Lee is the man and works on Unertls. I would not be suprised if he did not do the dot work for some other people too.

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 25th, 2007 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
After posting his web site I had a better look at it. he gives some good advice on picking a dot size including putting a dot sized black disk on your target at the intended range.  In any event I prefer 1/2 MOA for offhand on paper targets with a 16 or 20 power scope.

Also I see some of the old guys recomend a 4 moa dot on hunting scopes. My old Weaver 2 1/2 power on a Springfield sporter has a 4 moa lee dot with no cross hairs at all, There is nothing I have ever seen better for fast woods hunting.

Boats

IP Logged

Wapiti

Reply #7 - May 28th, 2007 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Cool It's a simple philosophy- put the dot where you want the bullet to go! You only align one item.

My offhand rifles have 2/3 min. dots- which are pretty hard to distinguish from 1/2 min dots. This recommendation came from the late Dick Thomas of Premier, for my silhouette dots. Works fine for Schuetzen.

All my 36X bench scopes have an 1/8 min dot, which of course is smaller than a .32 bullet hole at 200, or a RF at 100.

Good shooting!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint