Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fecker w/ dual eye pieces (Read 9437 times)
Brent
Ex Member

Fecker w/ dual eye pieces
May 16th, 2007 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
I have a very nice fecker - probably a 1.75" give or take 0.25" that is in mint condition with the wooden case.  It came with two eye pieces and like all feckers, no mention of magnification anywhere.  The eye pieces are externally different and the smaller one has a much shorter eye relief and greater magnification than the larger one.  They came with what appear to be the original aluminum, knurled eyecaps found on late model Feckers.

My intent is to use this scope on my "new" Borchardt.   - the low power for offhand and the highpower version for bench work.  Tomorrow will be the first test of this plan.

Anyway, does anyone know of Feckers being offered with dual eye pieces or was this a custom order?   

Any way to "letter" a fecker scope like one can a Winchester rifle?

Last, the crosswires seem a bit course and I'm wondering if anyone knows where to get very thin wire material.  I'm tempted to try replacing them on my own.  They are very accessible right under the eye piece.

Any information would be helpful but I do have Strobel's book and will have to review it again tonight.

Brent

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Re: Fecker w/ dual eye pieces
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2007 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Brent, I cannot help you on any of the Fecker questions. BUT! I can say, if the crosshairs are in good order "Leave Them Alone" I have a couple of target scopes with damaged or missing Crosshairs. A few years ago a guy advertized that he had Crosshair Tungsten wire for sale. Price was reasonable, I think 3 or 4 dollars for 4 feet. It was in three sizes. .0005, .001 I think and .0015. Well seems like the thing to do say's I. Hah! I am a Toolmaker and I have and still do lots of fine work under a Microscope. But trying to deal with that wire just frustrated the heck out of me. The .0015 was nearly impossible to see once you got some of it off the cardboard it was wound on. My advice would be that if you want finer Crosshairs send the scope to parsons and let them do it. I ended up giving what I had to Jim Borten our administrater here. Maybe he will chip in on his experience. He has never by the way mentioned to me how it went for him. Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2007 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Ever tried nylon stocking thread?   

When I used to live in the South, I could always find good black widow silk (not that I needed it then).  They exist in Iowa but I have never seen one here, so not so easy.  Anyway, I have heard that both of these materials make very good crosswires.   

Brent

IP Logged

Phoenix
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2007 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
just leave the littlr feckers alone. you are fooling around again trying to stir up. first thing you will have another big fight  going on. ps   have some purple heart but no good snake wood. Undecided

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2007 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Brent - a friend of mine has a Fecker and it has two eye pieces the one is a doubler ( it dbls what ever the power of the other one is ) you are right - no mention of magnification on the scope its self.  All I would have to say is if they didn't come standard that way it seems several people bought them that way - and just because you may find a Fecker out there today with only one eye piece doesn't mean that it didn't originally come with two and the other one has become misplaced over time.  You have a good day now - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2007 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
The way to figure out the power. Set up the scope so you can look at the brick house down the street. Now look in the scope with both eyes open. What you have to do is count the bricks in the scope that with fit into one brick that you see with the eye that you are not looking in the scope with. That will be you scope power.
UndecidedNow I didn`t say it was easy!!! Shocked But if you keep working at it you will get a count.
Fitz I never got around to give it a try! but I`m going to do it someday!!

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2007 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Rimfire, 
I just spoke with Parson's about this scope.  He thinks it might be a pretty late model although it does have  5xxx serial number which I think is not particularly high.  He thinks it came with the two lens, but it is not obvious how the second eye piece could be a doubler.  It goes on instead of the original eye piece so it makes whatever magnfication it makes, independent of the other eye piece.  

Phoenix, too bad about the snake wood.  I'll find some somewhere.  I just polished up some really beautiful desert ironwood burl inlays for my Borchardt (which incidentally goes with this scope).  Oh and it seems like it wants to shoot  Getting groups in the 0.6-0.75" range at 100 yds with black powder but an occasional flier I can't figure out.  

Any chance you happen to have a spool of blackwidow spider silk?  Probably right there between the jars of Newt eyes and hummingbird tongues.

Brent

IP Logged

40-65tom

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2007 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Brent
I have some crosshair wire, I would be willing to send some to you. It is labled as #214 Nickle, thicknes is .00068. I have replaced several sets of crosshairs with it and it seems to be about what most folks cal fine. If interested send address etc. I will send enough for several attempts, ain't easy, but also not impossible.

Tom

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 18th, 2007 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Tom, I'd love to take you up on your offer.  You could send it to my office address at 
Brent Danielson
Dept EEOB
Iowa St. U.
Ames, IA 50011

Be sure to stick a note in there of what I owe you for your troubles.  I really do appreciate your generosity.

Brent

IP Logged

40-65tom

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2007 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Brent
Not a problem, won't probably get it out till Monday. If you will E-mail me at camelmail@comcast.net  I will pass along a few secrets to putting them in.

Tom

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2007 at 6:17am
Print Post  
Brent
I also have a Fecker with an extra eye piece. It is a2X to double the power of the scope. It also changes the clearence from your eye to the scope. I just keep in the box

40 Rod

IP Logged

j sells

Life is too short to rush

Reply #11 - May 22nd, 2007 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Brent, I repaired an ole lyman scope with wire from the windings of an electric tooth brush motor. Some of these small motors have really fine wire. The battery powered ones that you buy at the grocery store and toss when worn out. Jerry

Jerry

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #12 - May 24th, 2007 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Well, with some tepidation, I pulled the old, perfectly fine, but thick wires out of the Fecker yesterday and with a few trials installed pantyhose nylon.   

The first one went in easy and I thought I might be a savant at this.  But it looked a little thick and when I put up the eye piece it was no better than what I'd had before.   

And then I finally realized that I had about 15 strands of nylon, not one.  Tightly wound on each other, they were hard to see, but with a lot of experimentation, I finally got single strands and got them installed.   

They look great, and although it's a bit frustrating at times, it sure beats $65 plus shipping and 3 months to get them fixed professionally.   

Brent

IP Logged

Phoenix
Ex Member

Reply #13 - May 24th, 2007 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
panty hose Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 24th, 2007 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Yeah, you should have seen me incognito in Wally World buying the stuff.  Thank god for self-serve check outs.  Shocked Shocked

Brent

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint