Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Wind Probes (Read 11005 times)
Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Wind Probes
May 15th, 2007 at 9:42am
Print Post  
I noticed two different types of wind probes at Etna Green. One low one with a toilet float and a taller one with two cups glued together. Where do you get either? Prices? Which one is better (that opened a can of worms!). Does anybody have a web sight address?
Thanks

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Re: Wind Probes
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2007 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
The toilet bowl float is a design made by someone local to the Ft Wayne area. As I recall I paid around $200 for it. The other design has some added features and comes in a large and small version somewhere priced between $300-$400. 

The toilet bowl design has no dampening. It is simply counterweighted. Sensitivity can be adjusted by adding more counterweight or moving the counterweight up or down (limited travel). 

The other design has a built in dampener, sort of a piston in a closed tube affair. This tends to smooth out the changes in wind changes. It also has a counterweight to adjust for wind strength.

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2007 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Here is the guy to get hold of for the probe you shot over at the 22 shoot:

e-mail me at Genebeggs@cableone.net, I'll tell you everything I know about the Wind Probe.

This is the guy that  came up with them.

A very well done product.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2007 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
MI-shooter wrote on May 15th, 2007 at 12:47pm:
The toilet bowl float is a design made by someone local to the Ft Wayne area. As I recall I paid around $200 for it. The other design has some added features and comes in a large and small version somewhere priced between $300-$400. 

The toilet bowl design has no dampening. It is simply counterweighted. Sensitivity can be adjusted by adding more counterweight or moving the counterweight up or down (limited travel). 

The other design has a built in dampener, sort of a piston in a closed tube affair. This tends to smooth out the changes in wind changes. It also has a counterweight to adjust for wind strength.

I kept on looking for the decimal points in those prices, thought my cataracts had finally got the better of me, but My Bride smilingly pointed out that there weren't no stinkin' decimal points! Wow!
Just color me amazed, Joe

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2007 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Lends some credence to a theory I've been collecting data on for years...

Benchresters are crazy!  Cheesy

(What, a stick and some orange streamer tape like the prone shooters at our club uses is too "cheap" for the bench guys?  They have to spend $200-$400 on a WIND FLAG?!?!... Clinically insane...)

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2007 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
and that just tells you the left-right component of the wind. You still need another gizmo to tell direction. 

Ain't there a game where a .22 rifle and a box of ammo is all ya need?

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2007 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
22rf silhouettes?

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

chrisj

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2007 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
offhand schutzen

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 17th, 2007 at 6:07am
Print Post  
Offnand Schuezen you can read the wind by watching conditons on trees, grass, dust from bullet strikes etc.  The best wind guage anywere is your sighter target. Shoot one and see were it goes.

And you can use all the benchrest shooters wind gizmos.

Boats

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 17th, 2007 at 7:47am
Print Post  
boats wrote on May 17th, 2007 at 6:07am:
Offnand Schuezen you can read the wind by watching conditons on trees, grass, dust from bullet strikes etc.  The best wind guage anywere is your sighter target. Shoot one and see were it goes.

And you can use all the benchrest shooters wind gizmos.

Boats

Well, that sorta depends on the match that you are shooting.  A WSU match gives you 10 minutes for intial sighters and that's it for the rest of the match.  So, that won't do.

Wind from bullet strikes is wind that will never affect bullet flight.   

Wind on your face is more important that anything you are going to see down range, but it is only one reading of course.

Brent

IP Logged

chrisj

Reply #10 - May 17th, 2007 at 9:31am
Print Post  
In offhand schuetzen, which is all I do,  when I hold for the wind there's an irritating tendency for the shot to go where I was holding.  So at most all I do is sight in with the wind and watch for changes.  The most I do with any wind indication is make a shoot/don't shoot decision.  Some of the oldtimers I shot with watched the grass on the backstop behind the target.  I think that's too far downrange, but it keeps your attention in the vicinity of the target.  The most valuable information I get is where did the last shot go compared to where the sights were pointed when I let it off.

It also does not make any sense to try to hold a few rings over for the wind when you can't hold inside the 20 ring to begin with.  Far better to concentrate on improving your hold rather than worrying much about the wind.

Chris
Iowa

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 17th, 2007 at 10:00am
Print Post  
The wind can be important, sometimes very important. But IMO the most important component of the wind is its force & direction at the rifle's muzzle at the time of the shot. IOW it's much like Brent said, it's the feel of the wind on your face that's the best wind indicator.

"Chasing your (single) spotter" is one of the classic errors of even experienced shooters. Far better IMO to concentrate on calling your shots and adjusting only after more than one seem to go in the same direction. A friend of mine, a nationally-known and -ranked BPCRS shooter who shall remain nameless, coulda/woulda/shoulda made Master Class a long time before he actually did, except that he insisted on chasing his spotter.
JMOFWIW, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #12 - May 17th, 2007 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
WinkTheres a big difference in offhand and bench!!! HuhEveryone know wind does not effect offhand shots!!! Shocked

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #13 - May 17th, 2007 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
From the bench I prefer to just watch Borton's assortment of flags and probes and shoot when he does!   Cheesy  That's the technique I hope to employ next week @ E-G.  Wink

Froggie

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 18th, 2007 at 6:25am
Print Post  
My first few visits to EG I didn't have a clue about wind skills, much less the condition monitoring equipment, or much of everything else come to think of it. However I quickly realized that there was a definant ebb and flow to the shooting.  There would be moments during a relay when there was very little shooting and a few minutes later it would be a veritable fusillade.  not knowing any better I simply shot when everyone else was shooting and held my fire when there were few if any guns going off.   Meaning of course DURING the relays  Wink 
 Since then I've developed a respectful appreciation for the wind and mirage conditions.  I've built or bought various flags, stands. wind probe, stakes to anchor them, a little laser to align them properly, and a whole seperate box to haul them in. Now I'm working on learning how to use them.
  Oddly enough I was looking back through an old notebook of fired targets and I found the best Schoyen centerfire I've ever done---and it was that first season when I was shooting "by concensus".  However it was with a 45-70 and 500 grain bullets so wind may have been a little bit less of a factor.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint