Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) ?? cleaning competition .22rf (Read 12741 times)
marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: ?? cleaning competition .22rf
Reply #15 - May 10th, 2007 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Haven't shot competitively with a .22 rifmire for a number of years, but when I did I rarely cleaned my competition gun unless I saw a change in accuracy or function. When I clean my .22 rifles now I use one of the Hoppes Bore Snakes, which simply pulls through.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Phoenix
Ex Member

Reply #16 - May 10th, 2007 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
DO you push the snake, that thing sure works good. no chance of a scuff, i also have made them out fish line. use to tie knots in parachute cord m14 cleaner upper. ben

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - May 10th, 2007 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Just food for thought, Why not use a 20 or even a 17 cal rod? At that point one should be able to come up with a bore guide.
Just to add my two cents, I clean after every competition and use a brass brush, round patches, a Dewey coated rod and Ed's Red solvent I mix myself. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - May 10th, 2007 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
I should mention that I don't use the lanolin nor the CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent when I mix. 
Also, for God's sake open a window when you use the Acetone mix. It really makes me wonder how they can sell Nail Polish Remover with Acetone with which women close themselves in the bathroom and clean and paint their nails!

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - May 11th, 2007 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Pat,  Have you ever figured out why the beautitians and fingernail artists have a rep for being "ditsey"?  occupational disease, just like the "mad hatters" back in the previous centuries when mercury was used to process the fur into fel and shape it into hats.

aside from that.  I mostly use a rod every couple relays to push the crud out of the bore.  however the new ruger has a real tight match chamber---I have to use a breech seater.  and the lube build up in the chamber mouth needs cleaning every so often so I'm starting to pay more attention to bore and chamber care.  There is a whole lot of anecdotal material and theories about bore cleaning and conditioning out "there".  However in the 22rf world we have a whole different set of conditions that centerfire and centerfire BP.  This is one of the reasons I started this thread.  To see what kind of data/experience/belief/convictions we have here in the ASSRA/rimfire community.  I suspect that the BR50 guys and the NRA smallbore competition shooters may have a bunch of info/experience we can tap into and apply to our end of the game.

Re the use of sub calibre rods:  As I understand it a properly fitted rod will be just a precise slip fit in the bore. anything less can allow the rod to flex and bang against the interior.  I suspect that it is the action of pumping the rod back and forth that has the most potential for damage.
In theory the first tight patch through should push out anything not cooked onto or embedded in the bore.  
 I've never, in recent years, used a brush.  I simply push patches through until they come out clean.
However I'm researching and reconsidering my practices. 

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - May 11th, 2007 at 8:50am
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on May 11th, 2007 at 8:09am:
Pat,  Have you ever figured out why the beautitians and fingernail artists have a rep for being "ditsey"?  occupational disease, just like the "mad hatters" back in the previous centuries when mercury was used to process the fur into fel and shape it into hats.

aside from that.  I mostly use a rod every couple relays to push the crud out of the bore.  however the new ruger has a real tight match chamber---I have to use a breech seater.  and the lube build up in the chamber mouth needs cleaning every so often so I'm starting to pay more attention to bore and chamber care.  There is a whole lot of anecdotal material and theories about bore cleaning and conditioning out "there".  However in the 22rf world we have a whole different set of conditions that centerfire and centerfire BP.  This is one of the reasons I started this thread.  To see what kind of data/experience/belief/convictions we have here in the ASSRA/rimfire community.  I suspect that the BR50 guys and the NRA smallbore competition shooters may have a bunch of info/experience we can tap into and apply to our end of the game.

Re the use of sub calibre rods:  As I understand it a properly fitted rod will be just a precise slip fit in the bore. anything less can allow the rod to flex and bang against the interior.  I suspect that it is the action of pumping the rod back and forth that has the most potential for damage.
In theory the first tight patch through should push out anything not cooked onto or embedded in the bore.  
 I've never, in recent years, used a brush.  I simply push patches through until they come out clean.
However I'm researching and reconsidering my practices. 

The best bore quides have an insert placed on the rod which is then inserted in the actual quide itself, it's tight, properly fitted you cannot push a brush, for instance, through the insert. 
 Since you mentioned the chamber, here is another little update-curveball for you. You'd be surprised at how a lot of match chambers are being cut these days. Some of the best of the best match chambers no longer engrave much if any of the drive band . A good friend that has made barrels for a substantial number of IR 50/50 hall of famers cuts a chamber with no engraving at all. I am currently shooting a one-off chamber reamer that only engraves about 1/4 of the drive band. Lots of this stuff is designed to deal with the fouling in the throat. 
 Also just an FYI,BR50 is today essentially dead. Today the largest organizations in decending order are probably IR 50/50, ARA and RBA. Go over to the home page of BR central, all the org's have their links there, you can see the targets,records, etc. it's all pretty neat... horrribly frustrating. I'm up in Syracuse, N.Y. and we shoot IR50 about 3 out of 4 weeks a year from April thru October. If I can help anybody with the care and feeding of quality .22's I'd be happy. Also, I don't want to sound preachy here but again this .22 BR stuff has taught us a lot about .22's particularly in the last couple years, once you can get past digesting $10-$12 a box match ammo, the rest is easy. Grin

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2007 at 9:06am by tim_s »  

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint