Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 22 rimfire silhouette--single shot style--JFYI (Read 10347 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

22 rimfire silhouette--single shot style--JFYI
May 6th, 2007 at 11:28am
Print Post  
I recently found out that our local CC club which I joined several years ago to use its archery ranges has add a small bore silhouette match.  It turned out that one was this weekend at a time which did not conflict with my normal schedule; so I thought I'd take one of my 22 single shots and give it a whirl and also try to drum up some local interest in Single shots.
Just for your amusement I thought I'd share the experience

Well I went to it, and I shot in it,  but . . . . .I'se gots a lot t'learn. 

I mounted my 20x Redfield on the Swiss Federal offhand rifle, since its all done offhand.   I'd made a prong butplate for the Ruger#1 and added a palmrest  but they are not allowed and while I had Keiths figures for the Mitchell scope  and Dale McGee sent me some figures that he has used for shooting them at his local club I thought waving that 40x around might make me motion sick.
   Dale, I used your figures and clicked down from my assumed 100 yd zero for the chickens.  We only had a short time to shoot to warm up the guns and check out zeros.  ( the benches are bad at the club--really bad. Imagine shooting benches made of 1/2 plywood jello and you won't be far off. I'm going to have to build a few and donate them, or build my own heavy duty folding one to haul back and forth)   I had a difficult time getting the paralax adjusted on the redfield to give me a clear picture at 25 yds---more on scopes later.  Eventually I got a sorta fuzzy picture and decided to test fire, shooting off my elbows on a wobbley bench since practice time was fast running out.  Managed to put three shots in a paper chickens head@25 so I figured that was as good as I was gonna to get with out a whole lot more testing and setup time.  (it was about as good as the whole experience got too!!!

Naturally since I was one of the early ones there they put me #2 in the 1st relay.    Other than a bit of screwing around on the 50 yd targets at EG I've never done any offhand work. 
  (See I've got LOTS of excuses.)  
Anyway I managed to get 2 of the 10 chickens.  It amazed me since it seemed like I was waving that gun around like I was conducting an orchestra with it. Chickens 8--Wayne 2
 On to the Peeegs----Had to adjust the scope.  I later learned that other guys just use hold over and under based on the turkys---but they also use higher speed ammo.   Also had to mess with the paralax again.  Fortunately they were pretty elastic on the time limits.  I nailed the 1st two pigs.   then realized that I was shooting on the wrong bank of them.  They have two racks of five that have to be shot in order and I'd been shooting on the second one first.  So I called the range master over and he agreed to let me finish shooting that bank first, but I'd not be able to count those first two.   Totally spooked and under time pressure I missed everything on that bank, and went back to the first bank.  only got one of them.  Peeegs 9 Wayne 1.   only good pigs are smoked ham and bacon anyway.
Turkys ----eeech!  Had to do the paralax readjust and scope adjust again.  actually manged to shoot in the right sequence and even got one of the.   I hate the turkys anyway.  In my IMHSSA shooting days more than once I cleaned the rams and most of the pigs and missed everyone of the damn turkys---for a few years there I couldn't stand Thanksgiving.  Turkys 9--Wayne 1.
Rams.  now I always liked the Rams--prior to this.   Had to do the scope adjust and paralax change again. finally got a nice crisp picture but I must have miscounted on the clicks----missed everyone of the buggers.   Of course the berm is nicely sodded and green so I had no way to tell where they were going to compensate.  But then after 30 odd rounds plus a few "sighters" I was probably weaving around like a weed in a windstorm anyway.

anyway I finished up 4/40 but I had a BALL anyway.  using the single shots got a lot of attention.  Had a few guys come up and ask questions.  had some other SS stuff in the back of the van including the Ruger---it got a lot of attention and I passed out a few back issues of the J. Most of the serious guys were using CZ's a few anschutz, a couple old classic win and rem smallbore competition rifles etc and shooting in the mid to high 20s.  I think the club record is 31.  Using a single shot felt a bit like taking a knife to a gunfight, but since they are a bit more flexxible on time here locally its doable and I'll do it again for sure.   Any excuse to shoot a single shot etc etc. found out that we have another local club that shoots the 22 silhouettes every other thursday evening.  I can do that too if I'm home.

I clearly need to use a different scope with more field of view as a dedicated scope set up just for the silhouettes, all sighted in and marked with settings.  then its just a matter of practicing.   I enjoyed it a lot and it gave me something other than just archery to do at the local club anyway.

IF you do any 22rf single shot shooting, and IF you have a local club that offers the 22rf silhouettes and IF you've never tried it give it a whirl. Any of you that have experience at this who want to give advice or comments,it'd be appreciated. Even though I did poorly this first time I had a ball and it leaves lots of room to improve and it gives another excuse to play with my rifles.

DWStiles

« Last Edit: May 6th, 2007 at 11:33am by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Re: 22 rimfire silhouette--single shot style--JFYI
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2007 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Wayne, very interesting!

For several years I've been custodian of most of a set of steel RF Silhouettes of both sizes from a defunct gun club, and have had a ball with them at ranges out to 200 meters. Now, this week, I just discovered that my local club is now having RF Rifle Silhouette shooting. I'll be there next time!

For changing the parallax on an old-style target scope, I've discovered that some of the Litschert scopes have the fastest (& thus most useful) adjustment system. It's clearly a full order of magnitude faster than the more common Unertl or Lyman style, and appears to be fully as accurate as well.

Some but not nearly all Litschert Spot Shot scopes have a non-threaded sliding objective lens housing, with its parallax adjustment locked by a large-headed thumb screw. This is the fastest style; other Litschert Spot Shot scopes have several other objective lens parallax adjustment systems but most are not any faster than the Unertl or Lyman style.

For the more usual short-range silhouette shooting, 25 to 100 yds, I've found that the holdover/under method is the best for me. But for the new single shot 'buffalo' RF Silhouette shooting out to 200, I personally will definitely use my elevation adjustment.

When using the holdover method I find it useful to have, as reference, a copy of an already-fired multi-bull target into which I've fired shots using a center hold at each of the various ranges. I've tried this with both round bulls and full-size animal figures and can see advantages to both. Keeping a copy of the fired target handy when 'holding over' is good memory insurance, especially in recent years.......
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Phoenix
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2007 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
ONE OF THE MOST FUN SHOOTIN IS 22 SILLEYWET. the folks were more at ease and everybody got a can of beans or a pin. i have some targets here that we shoot for fun but  i have to be watched,cause i will twist some windage in a scope for you. lots of fun. regards,ben.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2007 at 6:42pm
Print Post  

just messing about in my backyard with my BSA 15 and some of the Aguila Colabri "sans Poudre".   got a little swinger backed by an old shot up foam archery target.   this could get to be real addicting. I can open the back door and actually be shooting inside.  wasn;t even spooking the birds on the feeder about 20 feet form the door.

Also, While hunting through some stuff I found a scope I bought last year at the  ASSRA Spring meeting auction.   I forgotten all about it.  is is a simmons fixed power with a little ram silhouette and the 24x inside it really fine duplex crosshairs and a quickly moving paralax adjustment.  like one rotation from one extreme to the other and its calibrated from 40m to 500 and infinity, target knobs and what looks like a 40mm or so objective, almost but not quite as big as those Simmons 44' that Dale53 rates so highly.  Don;t know if it is really a good scope on not until I get a chance to test it but I suspect its might be.
  Wow guys---is this a SIGN or what?????

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2007 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
DWS,

I enjoy RF silhouette shooting a lot and my rifle of choice is a cobbled-together Stevens 414 with a shortened barrel and a 3/4" Weaver scope, which I set to hit dead on on the Pigs.  Then I can shoot at the feet of the Chickens, just over the shoulders of the Turkeys and about a Ram high.  The rifle likes Winchester Wildcat Dynapoints at ~$10.00 per carton (last I bought them.)

To me it's more like plinking or hunting than "real" target shooting so I concentrate on good holds and trigger control and ignore equipment issues.  The guys I shoot with have Anschutz offhand rifles and exotic scope sights which they constantly fiddle with and gripe about.  They shoot Eley Tenex or Lapua or Federal Match at about the cost per 50 as I pay for a carton, and they keep going on about light changes, having the wrong zero, barrel never settling down, etc.  For all this activity, they don't seem to do all that much better than me, if as well; scores of 21-24 frequently win, and when the wind is up, scores of 16 sometimes do it.

For the life of me, I can't see a light change or a click in windage or elevation doing that much on a silhouette target, if you're already well into the center of mass.  Obviously, it could change a ring or two on a standard paper target, but these metal animals aren't standard targets.  The equipment guys often seem to wind up the day exasperated with their equipment, threatening to sell it or chuck it into a Bessemer converter.  If I'm exasperated, it's for my failure to practice offhand as often as I should be doing; otherwise, it's been a fun and relaxing session and another chance to shoot Old Cattywompus again.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2007 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Bent Ramrod, 
It works like this see,  if you have lots of fancy equipment you have better and more creative excuses.  If you don't win you still get some sort of karma points for having the most artistic excuses don't you? Wink    If I could not win with the really really nice full house original H Pope Glallery rifle I saw this weekend at EG Id be doing much better than with my little BSA #15 I'm sure

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 6th, 2007 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Phoenix - welcome home - I didn't think that you would be able to stay away for long - you are kinda like a prodical son to us here at the forum - here for awhile - gone for awhile. - u have a good day now -   the rimfire - cdpersons
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2007 at 7:02pm by »  

IP Logged

Phoenix
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2007 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
thak you very much----i enjoy this bunch, regards,ben.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 6th, 2007 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
.22 silhouette is way more fun than almost any match.  We have only one here per year.  It is a shame.  It would be a great way to recruit new shooters.   

Phoenix, if I catch you twisting my scope knobs I'll be eating one tough old refried bird for dinner that's for sure....  Wink Wink  Grin Grin

Brent\

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 6th, 2007 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
I'm sure that most of the ASSRA offhand 22rf shooter's'd enjoy it.  However it'll never happen at EG for the simple reason that the original deed whereby the club acquired the property contains a restrictive covenant which very specifically prohibits metallic targets. 
In a way though it is kind of good since it forces those of us who'd like to give it a try to seek out and participate in other club's events.  Just think of it as single shot missionary work that is also fun. I know a couple of guys at the single event I attended so far were interested in our activities and one local that I know of so far has sent in a membership app.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 6th, 2007 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on May 6th, 2007 at 10:52pm:
I'm sure that most of the ASSRA offhand 22rf shooter's'd enjoy it.  However it'll never happen at EG for the simple reason that the original deed whereby the club acquired the property contains a restrictive covenant which very specifically prohibits metallic targets.

And what the heck is that prohibition all about anyway?  Some STRANGE ideas there.  People for the Ethical Treatment of Iron (PETI) seems to have made some inroads in the shooting worls  Roll Eyes

Brent

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 7th, 2007 at 6:42am
Print Post  
Brent - the man who sold us the property was a noted high power benchrest shooter/gunsmith an he was very safety concious - see there are lots of rules that we are governed by that the average member knows nothing about - the list goes on. - u all have a good day now - the rimfire - cdpersons

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #12 - May 7th, 2007 at 7:55am
Print Post  
rimfire, 
I didn't realize I was being so dangerous by shooting steel silhouette.   

You be careful now.

Brent

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #13 - May 7th, 2007 at 8:10am
Print Post  
Brent,

To add to what rimfire said, the E-G range was set up to be safe specifically with the use of the berm.  While there is a reasonable "free fire zone" behind the berm, the general design is not such that ALL forms of shooting are safe there.  The area around the range could be described as a sort of "rural-residential."   Roll Eyes

By their nature, silhouettes (even for .22) bring about some non-standard deflections in the after-target trajectories of the bullets.  While the prohibitions of steel targets seem strange to some folks who have ranges whose configurations make this insignificant, they make a great deal of sense to this particular range design.   Smiley

As was previously stated, this all gives us an excuse to go to a variety of ranges, and the opportunity to "spread the word" to other shooters as well.  This is a good thing!  Wink

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 7th, 2007 at 8:16am
Print Post  
Well, Frog, we are looking for you here
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

And there won't even be any need to shoot steel.
Brent

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint