Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 22 rimfire silhouette--single shot style--JFYI (Read 10335 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 22 rimfire silhouette--single shot style--JFYI
Reply #15 - May 7th, 2007 at 9:10am
Print Post  
I have shot a whole lot more Silouette than Schuetzen. Simply because there is match each weekend within driving distance. With Hunter and Sillouette rifle class you can get at least 2 matches in a session and some clubs run double so it's possable to shoot 4 in a day. Get a copy of NRA's Shooting Sports USA for locations and dates.

Couple of things 

Most match directors will let you shoot your Schuetzen even if it does not qualify as long as it's not for match placing or prizes. I shoot mine exactly as set up for Schuetzen matches.   Best Strategy is to have a hunter class rimfire bolt action for one match and shoot the Schuetzen in the Silouette class.  You can get a good enought hunter class rifle fairly cheap.

Shoot your Schuetzen exactly like the rest of the competitors do. That is use Match ammo, change your sight /parallax settings and keep to the time limit.  You can do it as easy as with a bolt action. I put a small sand bag on the shooting bench to rest my muzzle when reloading which speeds things up.  Shooting 5 shots in 2 1/2 minutes is good pratice, will teach you not to hang too long before breaking the shot.  

Change your scope settings.  No one has ever done well with hold overs.  Our Club also runs Lever action iron sight matches on pistol targets, We still change sight settings when changing Critters.

Sighting in. Best to get your elevations before match day.  It takes too long to completly sight in with the time constrants.  Get some cardboard boxes staple your sigher targets and set them out at match distance.  Do it offhand, the match targets are so small sighting errors from bench zeros will put you out of the game right away.  On match day the sighting period only confirms your windage zero. Trust your pre set elevations and use most of the sighter period to get warmed up.

The signifigant difference is with Schuetzen every shot counts and misses drop scores signifigantly. You see whats happining by soptting your target and get instant feedback from your shots. It teaches precision.  With Silouette a miss is as good as a mile and most people will miss a lot of targets. It teaches you to make quick decesions but it can encourge dumping shots too easily.  Without a real good spotter you never are sure what happened to a miss.  Thewmatches complement each other and are great cross training.

I find there is little differece in scores between my 7 1/2 lb hunter rifle and 14 # Schuetzen.   The Schuetzen may have a Ram advantage as it's slightly more accurate at 100 meters. Scope powers are the same The Hunter class rifle has a 3# trigger while the Schuetzen is a Set.  It would seem that would be important but it makes little difference

If you can shoot a Hudson match over 2000 you ought to be able to shoot a Silouette match with 2/3 of the animals knocked down. And the reverse is true too. Any AA class Silouetter shooter once familar with the match ought to be able to shoot a Hudson match at 2000-2100 fairly easily.

I may get some argument about this but if AAA or Master Class Silouette shooters competed in offhand Schuetzen they would win or place high most matches.  It's highly competive and competiton breeds good shooters. 

Boats

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Re: 22 rimfire silhouette--single shot style--JFYI
Reply #16 - May 7th, 2007 at 10:45am
Print Post  
DWS;
You are onto a GOOD thing. I, and a couple of friends, started a .22 silhouette match at our local club several years ago. We were all BPCR shooters and really wanted to shoot a minature version of that using .22 single shots and using the same course of fire as the BPCR's. However, we realized that if we restricted the shooters to single shots the only guys shooting would be us. That was not our desire. 

The rules have evolved and now "any safe .22" can be used. We have autos, match rifles, and several single shots on the line. We now have about 25-30 active shooters (we shoot indoors on paper in the winter). We shoot at 25,50,75, and 100 yards. We started off just shooting the chickens offhand and the rest off sticks. However, perfect scores got too numerous so we now shoot chickens and pigs offhand and the rest off sticks. A recent rule change (rules are reviewed every October - no rule changes at any other time) has the top shooters shooting everything offhand with a two target bonus. Scopes are now allowed and most use them. Iron sight users get a two target bonus.

Outdoors, perfect scores happen from time to time. Glenn Fewless was the first to shoot a perfect score with iron sights (no bonus necessary). He kind of showed us the way. I have shot several perfect scores but with a scope (my vision now makes iron sight use a memory on iron).

Most of us use the Simmons 44 mag scopes with target knobs - 1/8" clicks and an adjustable objective. We change the zero every bank AND the objective. It is really nice to have a properly focused scope on every target. Those scopes are really $300.00 scopes that could be had for $100 for several years. They are no longer offered. I don't know what Simmons has replaced them with. They have a wide adjustment range and are more repeatable than my Leupolds (hard to believe but a fact). We have a bunch of them in use and NO ONE is unhappy with them.

A single shot is absolutely no handicap for silhoutte. I can recommend the "modified" course that we use as the newbies get to shoot decent numbers (score) when they start and they are not intimidated by low scores. We have a VERY high return rate. Then adjust the course of fire (once a year) as it seems pertinent.

We charge a nominal fee to shoot (a dollar or so) and 80% of the money is returned to the shooter. One thing we learned from our muzzle loader friends is to spread the money out to many places. I worked out a spread sheet that pays so many places back depending on the turn out that particular night. Depending on number of shooters, a ninth place guy might get $.30 (that's thirty cents). You would be surprised how that keeps the guys coming back. You don't hear any body complaining because the top three guys keep winning all of the money. That sort of thing never bothered me (when I started out I just figured that I had to pay dues before I got to the winner's circle). Today, you have to "massage" new shooters so that they will come back. No use bitchting about it, it is fact, so we live with it and build our attendance.(:>)). We have two guys in wheelchairs that are competing and they are always "in the hunt". Good shots, both. I don't think either of them shot any competition in their life before they discovered us.

Our best shot just received a rebuilt Stevens 44 and will be shooting it in the future matches. See, it really does work. We have guys shooting single shots who are really not single shot guys. They just think that they are neat (they're right(:>)) and want to use them because of that. That is GOOD!

Just some thoughts on "spreading the word"...

Dale53

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint