Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Possible Pope Mould (Read 4453 times)
Doug_Nelson

Possible Pope Mould
Apr 25th, 2007 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
A bullet mould sold on Ebay yesterday (4/24) for $565.55.  It was not marked "Pope", but otherwise appeared to be a Pope mould-- nose pour, 2 lube holes marked "wax".  Diameter was "5/16" which is probably .32 but could be .33.  Considering the selling price, at least two people believed it to be a Pope mould.  Anyone know whether Pope sometimes did not mark his moulds?  For those interested, you should still be able to view the mould by searching on item 320104880938  .

Doug

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Re: Possible Pope Mould
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Doug, I have here two Pope Molds that are stamped on the side
"H.M. Pope Hartford" It appears that he used his Barrel stamp "Rifled by H.M.Pope Hartford Ct." set off to one side so the "Rifled by" and the Ct. were off the Mold. The stamping by the way is on a diaganol from corner to corner. I have others that belong to Scott that are Pope  but are not stamped. His 32-40 cavities are very exactly the same. Bullet is 1.000 Inches long and is tapered from .315 to .324 at the base. Weights run right at 193 or 195 grs. The stamping on both molds is very light. If you did not look closely it would be easy to overlook the stamping. I have seen many with no stamping at all other than the wax stamp, that seems to be consistant thru all of his Molds. The other thing to look for is, Nose Pour, and the sprue plate has it's cutoff snout straight out away from the holder casting. The other thing I have noticed is the screw that goes thru the top and bottom plates is peened over the nut, almost as if he worked on the Mold to get it right and peened the screw over the nut so it would stay put where he had it regulated. My early Hartford Pope Mold the top and bottom sprue plate is one piece. Quite a feat to machine all that material out of the middle and keep everything square and parallel. The later ones the topm and bottom are seperate plates with a round cylindrical standoff to maintain the spacing, here again the screw that goes thru is peened to keep it where he got it right. HTH, Regards,FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Top Pope mould is just marked "WAX" bottom using his barrel stamp.
I have always referred to the "WAX" moulds as Stevens-Pope moulds but have no idea if that true or not.  Top one is 32-200 bottom 33-220.  There has never been a better mould made, ever.

The mould on Ebay looks like a Pope to me.  I sold my .32 Wax to friend because it shot so well in his .32-40 Ballard.  I regretted selling it,  cost me $200 to replace it a few years later, at the time I cried about the high price I had to pay for it.   

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2007 at 3:17pm by »  

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Mike, did you sneak down into my celler to take those pictures. Roll Eyes
Seriously those two pictures just about say it. The only other thing is I think that when he was in N.J. he started making the top and bottom plate seperate with a standoff. I have two of those here. The cavities are however still identical to the earlier ones. Well thats about it Doug.
Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Doug_Nelson

Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Mike, Fitz, thank you for the replies and pictures.  I'm glad to know that 'arry didn't always stamp his name.  Perhaps the forthcoming books will clarify why.

Regards,
Doug

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint