Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 22rf/barrel temps/accuracy (Read 15877 times)
horsefly
Ex Member

Re: 22rf/barrel temps/accuracy
Reply #15 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Good morning, Board;

Hst said, "I will listen. How much do you pay?"

I don't know..... how well do you listen?

Y'all be good.

horsefly

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Quote:

Hst said, "I will listen. How much do you pay?"

I don't know..... how well do you listen?

Well, to be fair I will allow as how listening is not exactly my strong suit. In fact, I dare say that I don't ever recall actually trying it. Still, always eager to learn, don't you know. Might come in handy some day, what?

Glenn

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 5:49am
Print Post  
    The early posts in this thread remind me of conversations I have had or (or shamelessly eavesdropped on!) with long-time smallbore shooters and/or Rimfire BR shooters. The impression I have formed from such discourses is that the changing POI has to do with the warming of the lube "seasoning" in the bore. Along with this is the belief, especially among the RF BR shooters that .22 rimfire bullet lubes are not created equal. When Federal was still in the real match ammo business (Gold Medal) many of the BR shoters had abandoned this otherwise excellent ammo due to problems they attributed to the lube.
    If you think about it .22 rimfire shooting is simply lead bullet shooting. Probably the only thing about .22 RF shooting different from our centerfire shooting is that we have no control about the ammo.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Don thats about what I've concluded too.  if it is cold enough out, the slight amount of heat generated by a 22rf in a heavy barrel at our ss shooting pace means that each shot is a cold barrel shot, and we can adjust our sights accordingly.  likewise on a hot/warm summer day the ambient temps will have the barrel fairly warm to start with so the lube works fairly well.   
the problem is spring and fall days where it starts cold and gets sorta warm maybe and the ambient temp range is just enough to thicken the lub a little in the pause between relays.

I'd love to find some sort of digital readout temperature sensor I could tape to the barrel--maybe two of'em one over the chamber area and one close to the muzzle--so I could do some experimenting.  I'd record time of day, ambient temps, and barrel temps on the targets and see what patterns develop.

It'd be interesting to see how the heavy barrel on the Ruger compares to slenderer barrel on the BSA.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

horsefly
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Good morning, hst;

DEAL!!!!  You listen like I pay!

Now, on the thread topic, I think I agree with the folks that think they are warming the lube instead of the barrel.

Y'all be good.

horsefly

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 10:23am
Print Post  
I agree with the warming-the-lube theory, and always have thought so. Back in the day, 20-30 yrs ago, I refused to use Federal ammo because of their waxy lube that would gum up the works quickly. However, their much-improved dimpled ammo shot very well indeed while it was avaialble so I figured that they may have solved their problems. But now, with their super-duper ammo no longer available, I'm content with Eley. Have found that there's little or no difference in POI between the various Eley ammos regardless of the number of seasoning rounds fired, and so now I just practice with Standard and switch to Tenex without  seasoning.

But then again, I'm not what you'd call a very good shooter either.(BG)
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 10:51am
Print Post  
I might offer up a couple of thoughts. I shoot .22 benchrest in IR 50 matches most weekends from April-October in a variety of temps. We are shooting some pretty sophisticated rigs and pushing $12 a box ammo  through probably the best .22 barrels on the planet. The early shot movement probably has little to to with barrel temps,especially heavier ones. It requires a few shots to put nice clean stable lube in the bore, once lube is stabilized, shot stability is achieved. Most guns should be cleaned. Most of the top BR shooters clean guns, with brushes, just like a quality center fires. A .22 also needs attention in the chamber-throat because over time a hard ring of carbon and lead will build up and  top performance will diminish. You should be particularly attentive of cleaning if switching brands. Understand, if you are not shooting at 1/4" ten rings at 50 yards this is not as critical, but the principles are valid. Hopes this helps some.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
good info.   I was just looking at a new book on the 22rf ammo/accuracy issues that "rimfire" bought at Sinclairs.  I'm going to try to find a review copy ofr the J  it has some interersting info and thr author tested a lot of different ammo.  problem with iot was that he is a BR50 shooter so there was no evaluation of ammo performance at the longer ranges.  he had some interresting thoughts on lubes, cleaning etc etc.

this weekend at EG I did note that I was able to switch between Wolf TM and ME without much more than a small elevation adjustment----once the gun was 
"warmed up"  what ever that really means.  simplest reason being that they use the same lube on both.   maybe an outfit like ely with a whole range of specific target ammo may use different lubes and there would be a longer time span to accomodate a change between ely ammos with different lubes.

I also noted that with the #3 win profile 22 barrel that it took 15 or so shots first thing in the morning when the temps weredown right chilly.  Later in the day, (especially Sat which was quite warm and windy) if I sat out a relay and let the barrel cool to ambient temps it only took 5 or 6 to get them grouping again.   
another new lesson was that the tight match chamber that Steve put in the Ruger requires more tending to than the other .22 rifles I've used.  however it was very well worth the effort.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Apr 30th, 2007 at 12:18pm:
good info.  ..........simplest reason being that they use the same lube on both.   maybe an outfit like ely with a whole range of specific target ammo may use different lubes and there would be a longer time span to accomodate a change between ely ammos with different lubes.

another new lesson was that the tight match chamber that Steve put in the Ruger requires more tending to than the other .22 rifles I've used.  however it was very well worth the effort.

Wayne, it's my impression that Eley specifically uses the same or a very similar lube with most of their ammo, especially the target stuff. At least that's the way I believe it used to be, before the change. I was fortunate enough to find a few bricks of early-'60s Tenex, same lot #, from an estate, and used it in some of my 22LR testing. Also used another few bricks of late-'90s Tenex, again all same lot #, and maybe two boxes of late-'90s Standard for initial sight-in. There was essentially no difference in the POI of the 3 different types of ammo, about the same as the difference between lots produced in the same year. Same with the accuracy, the older Tenex wasn't quite as accurate as the later ammo but the difference was minor and again was about the same as I've seen between different lots produced in the same year. The lube on the older ammo was beginning to turn white with age but still shot better than I can.

The aforementioned tests are still ongoing but have slowed down a lot. Tenex is expensive these days! Have tested ~ a dozen walls & a number of other 22LR single shots, am on my fifth test brick of Tenex now. Yes, I know a BSA will outshoot any wall but I like low walls.

I tried to make a tool to remove the dreaded ring at the chamber mouth but finally gave up. Glenn would have no trouble but I'm not even a journeyman machinist much less a toolmaker and so sometimes..............Anyway, now I just use the same Clymer match reamer that cut the chamber, it cleans out all the crud without any problems if used with discretion and a sensitive touch.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Joe,  Steve Durren made a real neat little match chamber cleaner a few years abck and I was able to buy the last of the old ones.  However he's going to run up another batch now that the 22rf is catching on pretty well in ASSRA. its adjustable so you can set it to fit a specific chamber and really works slick. Cleans right up to the beginning of the leade

In terms of the Ely lubes I was thinking specifically of there POSSIBLY being a different lube for their biathalon ammo.  they have some real tough conditions.  cold weather.  no warmup or fouling rounds and a fair amount of chill down time between their shooting "relays"   That Biathalon ammo must be something special.   We got to thinking about it Sat am whe it was dead calm--or at least as dead calm as it gets at EG--but in the low 40's.  then it got up to near 80 by the middle later afternoon.

I don't know if any of the other 22rf match ammo makers make a specific Biathalon ammo or not.

FYI   I just found the website and online date for that book and publisher, go to:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2007 at 5:38pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - May 1st, 2007 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Joe, the current ELEY has the best .22 lube ever created by the hand of man, without question. Even in old bores it works well. I,ve been testing , among, others , a beutifull Stevens Walnut Hill in .22 short. The bore is about average for a black powder era .22. After complete cleaning, I started to run some of the ELEY match shorts down the tube @ 40yards [our indoor max] and even with the origional Stevens scope this thing shootgs little bitty round holes. 
  As to the mechanical chamber cleaners, there are 2 issues which compromize them. Frank Tirrell made a great one several years back but kind of abandoned it for three reasons. First, over time the nature of the ring in the leade is quite hard- over time it tends to deform the tool making it less effective. Second, often, the hard fouling can extend up into the grooves where the tool cannot get. Third and most importantly we've discovered the modern cleaners simply do a better job. For my benchrest guns I have used IOSSO bore cleaner. It's a white cream, it's billed as non-abrasive but it is very mildly so. Take a short rod with a nylon brush, wrap a patch soaked up with the IOSSO and short stroak it in the throat 5-6 times. It does a beautifull job of keeping the throat clean and tends to put a nice polish there-buffing the tool marks and ultimately leadiing to a reduction in the combustion ring.This tecnique works quite well on match stainless barrels which are considerably softer than the chrome moly type steels often used in these applications. I'd wager any of these .22 maintainence tips will help .22's perform better IMHO.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #26 - May 1st, 2007 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Thanks Tim, I'll try IOSSO.

I ran into the same deformation issues, BTW.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #27 - May 1st, 2007 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Quote - Recently in a Precision Shooting article by Bill Calfee he proposed that if you stop shooting for more than a minute or so you should wipe out your bore because the fouling "hardens" and can be the cause of fliers. I wonder if the "cold barrel" syndrome is due to hardened lube/fowling?
I also just read an article Calfee wrote sometime last year, in wich he said that lead forms in a barrel and will affect the group for the first shot. Shooting the old Federal match (with dimple) in IBS 50yd matches, I did find leading toward the end of my 20" Shilen and Douglas barrels. Reason given was running out of lube! Eley ammo did not seem to have as much of a problem. Now, with the almost 28" brl on my Lowall I'm sure the problem is even more prevelant (I haven't had enough time with it yet). So, in the meantime, I do at least run an Ed's Red patch through the barrel and use a bristle brush on it each night.

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - May 3rd, 2007 at 6:11am
Print Post  
About 3 years ago, I went on a Club visit to the Eley factory. Tenex is expensive because it is virtually hand made. Cheaper types of ammo are produced on automatic machines. The lube is a mixture ot beeswax and tallow: they6 did not tell me the proportions. Eley have searched for something better for the last 100 years or so and have not found it. users of semi-auto rifles have complained about build up of lube in the receiver and so Eley now offer a special ammo for this purpose and this uses a dry lube. I was given some to test and it was less accurate in single shots but OK in my old BSA pump action.
Fred.

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #29 - May 3rd, 2007 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Quote:
About 3 years ago, I went on a Club visit to the Eley factory. Tenex is expensive because it is virtually hand made. Cheaper types of ammo are produced on automatic machines. The lube is a mixture ot beeswax and tallow: they6 did not tell me the proportions. Eley have searched for something better for the last 100 years or so and have not found it. users of semi-auto rifles have complained about build up of lube in the receiver and so Eley now offer a special ammo for this purpose and this uses a dry lube. I was given some to test and it was less accurate in single shots but OK in my old BSA pump action.
Fred.

Fred, 
  In the last year or so there was a great article published about ELEY in Rifle Shooter mag and others. It included facts about production including the fact that EVERY EPS bullet is visually inspected on a  computer screen before seating. Powder charges are measured with a special laser to confirm consistant load density. The primer compound is spun in the case in a centrifuge then allowed to dry. This is the EPS in ELEY. [Eley Priming System]. A major breakthrough however is the quality of the lube in combination with a redesigned drive band on the high grade ammo. This is what Bill Calfee helped with over a period of time. It not only scrapes a lot of crap out of the bore but it allows for a great distribution of that beautifull lube down the barrel. That is why the holes on the target do not look very black, each slug is going down a cleaner bore. Lots of folks are unaware of how abrasive combustion residue is from rimfires. The priming compounds leave a form of silicate residue just like broken glass. This is why most .22 ammo suggests not dry-patching after shooting because of the hard fouling. ELEY will allow that...BUT you must do it in the first couple minutes after firing while the lube remains soft. Remember this information applies more to stainless match bbls. which are considerably softer but the principles apply to any target type envirenment. 
   Sorry to go on a bit long but these benchrest .22's are on the leading edge of unbelievable consistancy and barrel maintainence considering they are pushing a soft deformable lead slug down range 50 yards, often at a dot about 1/32" and hitting it with amazing regularity. Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint