Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 22rf/barrel temps/accuracy (Read 15857 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

22rf/barrel temps/accuracy
Apr 19th, 2007 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
another 22rf topic.

We are all familiar with the "cold barrel" 1st shot zeroing that hunters and especially snipers work toward with high-power rifles.  as the barrel heats up and expands the barrel shifts enough to move bullet impact.   this is pretty well established and documented.

Shooting at Etna G in the 22rf matches I have noted a similar occurrance.  my first shots out of a cold barrel will be low by a couple inches and to the left.  Over 5 or 6 shots the bullet strike moves up and right and then stabilizes.   I noticed this with the low wall first and then the round barrelled BSA.  At the Fall 22rf match with the Swiss Federal rifle which has a much heavier oct barrell it seemed to take several more shots to settle down than the smaller barrelled  BSA.  I imagine the #3 win profile barrel on the ruger will be similar.
 I have noted but not documented that some times on cool mornings the barrel will cool enough between relays to start dropping the first shot ot two ---yet later as the day warms up-- the break between relays does not have as much effect.

I don't see the 22rf as generating THAT much heat, enough to cause the barrel to shift enough to move the impact point.   I'm thinking is is more a matter of warming the barrell just a little, just enough to make the waxey lube softer, slipperier.  The dropping initial bullets must be due to loss of velocity due to more friction in the barrell.

does this make sense? has anyone else noted it and come up with a better explaination.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

3sixbits
Ex Member

Re: 22rf/barrel temps/accuracy
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
I think it really depends more on the outside air temp. Using my 40X Rem and 40X scope in cold weather (read below 20 degs.) from benchrest I do not see the changes as the barrel cools to fast. It's as the temp changes, as the day progresses where I see the biggest differences. And I might add, I see this with all brands of ammo from the vary highend stuff to the bargain basement crap (some of which does better than the highend stuff).

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
I can see that, at those chilly temps the barrels would stay cold, so the lube would have consistant consistancy no matter how many 22s you put through it- at least at single shot rifle pace.  Now if you were blasting 30 round clips through a light barrell 10-22 as fast as you could trip the trigger it might be a different story.

IP Logged

breecher
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
My .22 insert throws it's first shot about 4" high at 100 yards. This is from a Dave Crosno insert. Interestingly, even if the rifle has cooled for 10 minutes or so, the high shot does not reoccur until the next mornings first shot. This is using fine match ammo, I do not clean this
rimfire daily. An opinion is that over a period of hours the fouling and residue takes a set, hence high shot.

breecher

IP Logged

chrisj

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
I was taught to throw away the first three shots.  In Davenport this was so common that when the range was moved, the concentration of lead in the dirt in front of the shooting house was as high as in the backstop.

A few years ago in practices I shot the first 20 shots from a sandbag on the bench to isolate some skills, followed by my usual offhand 20 to 60 shots.  This was indoors at 50 feet in June and July (hot in the range).  The first shot tended to be several rings out, high and left (on the rings of Davenport's indoor target).  The second shot was about a ring out, high and slightly left. the third was low.  The fourth was where it should be.  During the first ten shots after that, I might change the sights a click or two, but if I did I took the change out during the second ten shots, returning the sight settings to where they were after the previous day.

From this, I think it takes 10 to 15 shots for my rifle to settle down.  Shooting offhand, the difference between the first 10 and second ten shots is less important than a whole lot of other stuff, so I usually don't worry about it.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
I don't scrub the bore or use any chemicals in mine.  I'll run a a couple dry patches through at the end of a days shooting and maybe between relays if it looks especially gunky.  I do try to brush out the chamber gently every so often too. Considering the waxy lubes and steel of the barrel,  I just look at it like a well seasoned iron skillet  and don't risk messing it up by de-greasing it.   I suspect its the cold lube ein the bore and on the bullets that slows down the first couple shots----but that might not expalin why your first shot goes high.

sometimes if changing ammo brands I'll shoot  20 or 25  before it settles down to the new ammo.

also I only shoot the plain-lead outside-lubed ammo in my target rifles none of the plated or copper flashed stuff.  Thats what the 10-22 is for and I haven't shot it in a couple years

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Recently in a Precision Shooting article by Bill Calfee he proposed that if you stop shooting for more than a minute or so you should wipe out your bore because the fouling "hardens" and can be the cause of fliers. I wonder if the "cold barrel" syndrome is due to hardened lube/fowling?

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 6:15am
Print Post  
This discussion is much like re-discovering the wheel. This topic, I learned many years ago (1950's) when I started shooting small-bore in school.

I was shooting a Winchester Model 52 with the original iron sights in the NRA Junior Division. Even with iron sights we normally would dump 3 to 5 rounds into the backstop to bring the barrel up to speed. Even after a relay change we would follow the same practice. (Still have the Win.52)
Smiley ;
When I started shooting small-bore competition in the Army and I was using the great Winchester Mark III ammo, I would still follow the dumping 3 to 5 rounds into the backstop only I kept a separate box of cheaper ammo to do this with. Wink

I am shooting a BSA MkIII that I acquired in the Canal Zone back in 1959 and it still keeps them in the X-ring. and have shot many 100's on the A-36 target. I was shooting a BSA MkII before that. Very seldom cleaned the barrel other than a wet (Hoppies) patch down the bore now & then. If I did, then it took several rounds to bring the barrel back to where it was.

If for some reason I did not follow this practice, my first shot would be out of the "zero" spot and then I would go off target and dump the next few rounds to bring everything back to normal.

I still have some old MkIII and NO, it's not available except for the empty boxes.  Cheesy Thanks.  4227

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 11:10am
Print Post  
It may be like rediscovering the wheel for those who have had plenty of small-bore competition experience, but I for one have not had the privilege of that. I need all the wheel-discovering I can get and I really appreciate everyone's willingness to share info.  Based on the increasing number of guys who are showing up athe 22-only matches at EG, I'm probably not the only one

In that light, I might mention that the current issue (April 2007) of precision shooting has an interesting article about small bore barrels and conditioning entitled " Final Finish;  fire lapping a winchester 52 sporter"  I have not finished it yet myself and I know that fire lapping is a controversial topic.  but it also has some other interesting info.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
DWS  & Others, sorry,   Sad I did not intend my "re-discovering the wheel" to be a disparaging remark. I meant that we as shooters are re-discovering tips/facts that have been discovered long past. You only have to go back and review the "Shooting & Fishing" magazines of the early 1900's to read about what many of our topics here are.

Quite often in our hurry-up society we want the answers right now and are not willing to put forth the research and time necessary to find it in a previously  published work. That is why a index is so necessary.
Go back in the mid part of the 1900's after the war and look at the small-bore stories, data, etc published in the American Rifleman and other publications. Great reading. Precision Shooting is another good one. 
Don't get me wrong, finding out something on your own is a great good feeling, I know.  Keep Shooting!   4227

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
What 4227 said. Regards, Joe

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
4227 et al.,
I also need to post a bit of an apology,  I'm afraid my response may have come across as a bit snippy and snarky though it was not intended to be that way. 
There is so much that those of us with less experience do not know, we NEED to be able to learn from you guys who have gone through much of this already. so that at some future point we will be able to pass it on to the shooters who follow us.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2007 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
This dissertation reminds me of when I was on the U.S.Army Caribbean Rifle Team and some of the session we had there. Smiley
One was on the ability and learning on how to CONCENTRATE on the subject at hand.   Roll Eyes
  We were in a classroom with the shades drawn. Each of us had a candle in a holder in front of us. We lit the candle as instructed, then the instructor turned off the lights. We were to stare at our own candle on till we could separate the different colors of the flame and then describe each portion of the flame along with the shape and different colors.
Grin
The ability to concentrate on the necessary and shut out the un-necessary. This is a learned practice and does not come-by easily. How many times have we been on the line and someone tells a joke and we start listening to them rather than what we are doing. That's how double loads happen. Or, we are in the midst of a good string and we are distracted and do not notice a slight wind change?  Sad

Reading the wind is a totally different topic. Jim Borton is one of the best wind readers shooting right now that I know of. There is no substitute for shooting to learn on what the wind is doing. Watch the flags, watch the grass, watch the smoke/dust. Watch what is happening to other shooters.
A lot to watch, but if you are shooting, this is what you need to do. Concentrate. How many of you can visualize a target, say the A-36 and superimpose your crosshairs on it with a bullet hold dead center, all in your mind such that you can "SEE" the printing specks on the paper?  That is concentration.    Smiley
  This is how we learn to shoot. Concentrate and shoot. There you go, your lesson for now.
Try the candle trick and see if it works for you. I still do it now and then.  Good Shooting,   4227   Wink

IP Logged

horsefly
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Good morning, Board;

I think that there are several good lessons in the last several posts and not all of then are about shooting.  Civility is a gentleman's trait.  Sometimes I don't have much of it, but I try.

First, the remarks about concentration are exactly on target (take the pun if you want it).  Find it by whatever means is necessary.  I think I'll try the candle thing.

I want to make another remark here about rediscovery.  The old guys were not dummies and the old ways weren't always crude.  I mean this about a lot of things.  Maybe one of the best non-gun examples is wood working.  If you think the old ways were crude, look at a few pieces of late 1700 furniture.  No power saws, no routers, no Elmer's glue.....

We in BPCR are doing very much the same thing as you folks are.  We are rediscovering one new-old technique after another.  I really wish we had some of those crude old duffers to show us what they forgot 100 years ago.

I don't know a single thing about shooting that I'm not willing to pass on.  Now, if I could just find someone to listen.

Y'all be good.

horsefly

P.S.

I just read back over the post and don't want anyone to think I'm taking sides.... I'm not.  It's a good thread.

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Quote:

I don't know a single thing about shooting that I'm not willing to pass on.  Now, if I could just find someone to listen.

Mr. Horsefly:

I will listen. How much do you pay?

Concentration is a Real Big player in high level performance of any kind. Patience is another positive but elusive part of the puzzle.

I think that is what the "Zone" is all about. If you have ever been in the zone you will recall how easy it was to perform well. So very simple.  Perhaps this is the key. Doing well is simple because you make it simple, focusing on what you need to with no other mental clutter getting in the way.

I wish I knew the secret of calling up that state of mind at will...

Glenn

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint