Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) evaluating 22 rf ammo (Read 17547 times)
Paul_F.
Ex Member

Re: evaluating 22 rf ammo
Reply #15 - Apr 14th, 2007 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Once upon a time.... In the summer of 1953 to be exact... And many years before that, and a few after...
200 yards was a standard course of fire for NRA Smallbore Prone shooting.

I present this only as a comparison data-point for anyone who questions the accuracy of the .22LR at 200 yards in a "good" rifle, with a "good" driver behind it.

The target:  The NRA A-21 smallbore rifle target (no longer used in NRA competition, but still available from several sources).  The X-Ring: 2", the 10 Ring: 4", the 9 Ring: 8". Those rings are the "black". The 8, 7, and 6 rings are 12", 16", and 20" respectively.

Now, I have in front of me a copy of the National Match Bulletin from Camp Perry, Ohio for 1953.   
The Long Range Aggregate (total of 60 shots at 200 yards, prone)...
Winner: Alonzo B Wood  Score: 594-30X  (also a NEW RECORD for that time)
2nd: T.J. Knight, 592-25X
3rd: E.M. Kucera, 591-25X
4th: Herb Hollister, 590-15X

The scores do not drop below 580 until 47th place.

I offer this only as a comparison... since the sport of standing-on-your-hind-legs Schützen and Flat-on-your-belly Prone are quite different.
Prone shooters in 1953 could shoot scores in the 590's on a target with a 4" "ten" ring.

Now, there is some debate on the relative quality of smallbore ammunition of today, versus that of past decades. Don't beleive me.. .beleive 137 time national, regional, local, world, and possibly galactic level shooters like Lones Wigger about todays best Eley versus the Eley "Paper box" ammo of the mid 70's... They're pretty sure todays is NOT better. Maybe or maybe not worse.. but NOT better.

Hope this is of interest to folks pursuing 200 yard .22LR shooting.  Me? Once I can shoot my prone rifle for 200-20X with some regularity, and once I can shoot 200 yards a bit better with my centerfires... THEN I'll take up 200 yard offhand shooting with the .22LR.   I only have so many days in the week to practice! Smiley

Paul F.

IP Logged

Bob_S

Reply #16 - Apr 14th, 2007 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
The A21 target was used for Summer League at Old Colony when I was there 25 years ago ... Fitzy will tell us if it is still in use.   It was 200 yards standing on your hind legs, any rifle, any sights; and there were a number of folks who shot 22 RF's.    I seem to recall Fitzy shooting a 22 RF Ballard.  The other kicker was, the match was fired after dinner on a week nite ... under the lights!   Anything over 180 was considered a pretty good score.

I still have a bunch of the A21's that I got from National Target a few years ago: I used to shoot my Model 52C prone at 200 yards until NVGC got shut down.   Embarrassed

Resp'y,
Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
DWS;
  Found another site for you if interested. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Eley operate a Customer Range, which is run by a friend of mine, Bert Brookes. The reason for this is that ammo varies slightly from batch to batch. You take your own rifle along: Bert has a variety of bench rest fixtures to suit all actions. The action is removed from the stock and fitted to the bench where several batches of Tenex can be evaluated.
having matched ammo to rifle, the whole batch can be purchased or reserved. This means that Eley will keep the batch for the individual customer, allowing it to be purchased as required. I know that it is a long way from Birmingham UK to the USA, but some Olympic competitors make the trip, as do the Europeans.
Fred.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 7:59am
Print Post  
Fred

That sort of test would yeld results that could be counted on when match shooting. The US top teams test in the same way. Machine rest indoors.  However the idea thats often repeated in America is an individual can put his rifle on sandbags outdoors and fire a small sample with a number of different brands of ammo finding one that shoots better than the rest. As a sub goal he is also looking for inexpensive as well as accurate. The data collected under those conditons is simply not valid.   

My advice which few agree with, is to buy a top brand of match ammo and stick with it paying attention to position and conditons.  I would also say a shooter would not go wrong with Ely.

Boats

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 8:08am
Print Post  
boats wrote on Apr 17th, 2007 at 7:59am:
Fred

That sort of test would yeld results that could be counted on when match shooting. The US top teams test in the same way. Machine rest indoors.  However the idea thats often repeated in America is an individual can put his rifle on sandbags outdoors and fire a small sample with a number of different brands of ammo finding one that shoots better than the rest. As a sub goal he is also looking for inexpensive as well as accurate. The data collected under those conditons is simply not valid.  

Whoa dude!!!  Let's not go overboard there.  The data can be valid.  The testing will be different and will be voluminous but it will be valid as all get out.  Field testing of any hypothesis can be done with a  modicum of care in test design and execution.   

Brent

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 11:14am
Print Post  
boats wrote on Apr 17th, 2007 at 7:59am:
Fred

My advice which few agree with, is to buy a top brand of match ammo and stick with it paying attention to position and conditons.  I would also say a shooter would not go wrong with Ely.

Boats

What Boats said, and plenty of it. I shoot Tenex and practice/rough zero with Standard. The ammo is a heckuva lot better than I am. Regards, Joe

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 11:16am
Print Post  
    I think its about time that the ASSRA gets rid of the no barrel tuners rule.  
   If you are the individual that for whatever reason winds up with a .22 rifle that due to length, or weight of barrel so that it  is tuned to a particular brand of ammunition that shoots very small groups you probably don’t need a tuner.  For the rest of us we are left with buying many different brands of match ammo to find the one that shoots best in our rifle.
    A tuner would sure simplify the ammo selection process and probably save you more than the price of the tuner in the long run.

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Brent

I ought to modify that statement to "most test" Although I stand by the small sample part.  You can learn many things with small samples but accuracy  potential is not one of them. What I have found with pratice grade ammo is it shoots fine until you get a flyer.  It make take a 100 rounds to get a couple of flyers.   Given our re-entry format it's also possable to throw bad groups away masking true data.   

You need to stick with something a while to find out if it perfoms well.

Boats

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Boats, I do not entirely disagree with your subjective comments.  But I am much afraid that they are generally misinterpretted.  What passes for testing in the world of amatuer shooting is pretty much guarenteed to produce unreliable results.  That one can do MUCH MUCH better is pretty evident to anyone that understands testing processes and data analysis.   

Brent

IP Logged

aross007
Participating Member

Reply #25 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Brent,

I think I understand what you are saying, I teach graduate level engineering, and am continually amazed by the conclusions drawn in the literature and by my students from insufficient data sets and flawed analysis.

On the other hand, I find the task of finding the "best" ammunition for my .22 (or load for my BPCR) to be a lot of fun.   

You say "That one can do MUCH MUCH better is pretty evident to anyone that understands testing processes and data analysis."  I agree with the theory, how would you apply it in practice?  I.e. what would you consider to be a valid and practical test of ammunition for a .22 rf?

Thanks,
Alan

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 7:52am
Print Post  
Alan, 
With an emphasis on "practical" as well as valid I have proposed - and actually use-  the following:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

There are more powerful mehtods of course, and one of them is glossed over briefly in that website.  However, it is, in my experience, a bit impractical.   

I have discovered that MANOVA approaches have been used by benchrest shooters developing loads that have many variables to be considered (unlike .22 rf).  They have been published under another name, but I know the methods as MANOVA and can't recall what lable has been used in such publications.  Nonetheless, the methods are out there.  In fact, my approach could be extended to MANOVA analyses w/o too much difficulty.

Brent

IP Logged

aross007
Participating Member

Reply #27 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Brent,

Thank you for sharing, and as my contribution to your royalties when we meet, I'll buy you a tall cool one after the shooting is done for the day.  One question, which maybe I missed, is there a satistical reason for choosing 12 as the number of targets?

For any of the rest of you who took one look at the big words and formulas on Brent's web page and clicked it off, if you have the Excell program, skip all of that stuff and go to the procedure he describes at the bottom - he has done the hard part, and Excell will do all the math work for you.  You will end up with a number that tells you how confident you can be that there is a difference between your two candidate ammunition sets.

Thanks again Brent,

Alan

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Say, I'll take you up on that cool one.  Sounds mighty good after a long day of slinging lead.   

As for the number of targets, 10 or 12 is a "nice" number.  But what the heck does that mean?  Well, it is a little tricky to describe and in fact, the description of statistical power - which is what is involved here - is lengthy.  But in a nutshell, I think I can make it sort of intuitively logical, if not exactly precise.

Suppose you have a 2 moa rifle.  Not especially good - maybe you are in early load development or the first stages of .22 ammo selection or whatever.  Realistically, you really expect to be to shoot 1 moa or better.  Well, you all know that cutting that 2 moa average down to 1.5 moa is pretty easy and it won't take many tricks to do it.  When you are looking for and expecting fairly large improvements in accuracy, then you will not need many targets.   

However, when you get it down to 1 moa and then get to feeling greedy and want to see if you can shave it down a little more,  - well a small improvement will be very hard to detect with the same level of minimial confidence that you had when you found the big changes earlier.  So, separating the CCI hv ammo from the top of the line Lapua and Ely flavors might be pretty easy - 5-6 targets.  But separating the Lapua from the Ely might be quite a bit more difficult, requiring more targets.   

There are mathematical functions that more precisely predict the number of samples required, but it gets a bit hairier.  So, 10-12 seems like a good number for most purposes.  But keep in mind if you are looking for really subtle differences - say between two batches of primers for instance, or two batches of the same top-grade ammo - then expect to shoot a lot more.   

Brent

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Brent

There are 3 weak points in the Rifle/Ammo test I have seen at club ranges. Test taken outdoors, weather conditions masking validity of data collected. Rifle hand held allowing inconsistency.  Number of Rounds fired inadequate to draw conclusions. 

This is a key point. Re-entry matches allow throwing out flyer targets. Matches that include long strings and record every shot have another standard. Small-bore prone shooters cannot afford flyers.  The number of rounds tested need to take into consideration what’s required of the chosen ammo.

If those variables can be controlled I would agree statistical testing methods could show something useful about ammo selection. If they cannot be controlled statistics will not overcome the basic inconsistencies.

Another way to make a decision on what ammo to use is to consult match results.  The best combinations will be naturally selected. This in my opinion is the best test of all.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint