Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ballard 40-50 SBN & Crescent Buttplate (Read 8109 times)
Mike_S.
Participating Member

Ballard 40-50 SBN & Crescent Buttplate
Apr 3rd, 2007 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
I bought a slightly used Ballard Model 5 Pacific in 40-50 Sharps Bottleneck and just shot it for the 1st time last Thursday.  It has real nice MVA target sights, so I shot it from the bench to dial in the sights and get a feel with my first loads.  I formed the cases from once used 45-70 Winchester brass, with 48 grs. FFg and a 362 gr. Saeco bullet.  I placed the barrel near the muzzle on sandbags and the crescent butt in my shoulder socket.  Boom, spike & ouch. Hmmm, let's try that again - just grip it tighter....same results.  Moved the butt to my bicep and turned my position 90* to the rifle....boom, smack, ouch.

Now I have been shooting BP since '64, when I made my 1st BP rifle and have never shot a BP or smokeless round that has beat me up like this rifle.  I realize that this is a huntin' stock and designed for off-hand shooting, but this is like shooting a 4 lb. 30-06!  I'm guessing the vicous recoil from the bench is due to the stock.

I have a Parker Hale '58 Enfield that I shoot 70 grs w/ a 540 gr mini that is a pussycat compared to this rifle.  And the Ballard is not a lightweight, I'm guessing it is 10-11 lb.  After 30 rounds things looked like this: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);  [I don't know how to attach a photo yet.]

I'm thinkin' I need to get a silhouette buttstock for this baby or I'll be crippled for life.  Any suggestions or am I a whimp?  I had more fun in 'Nam humpin' 5"-38's all day (38,500 lbs. on one fine afternoon!).  Mike (in recovery mode)

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Re: Ballard 40-50 SBN & Crescent Buttplate
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Mike, I have a Sharps in 40-70 SS and I once thought I wanted to shoot it with the original loading. 330 gr Bullet and casefull of Fg. Rifle is a Mid Range and is under 10 1/2 Lbs with loaded round in it. One session with that was all I needed. the recoil is SHARP. No push, just spike just like you described. I fixed it though. Don't do that anymore!
Shoot it with a nice easy load of Smokeless when I feel the need. FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 3:26am
Print Post  
Thar crescent buttplate is a real torture thing indeed...  my 1st 45-70 also had one of these abominations, and it really HURT!.  I put on another buttstock, and the problem had disappeared completely.  A nice, large, flat  shotgun-style buttplate with a red english recoil pad is my preference.  I'll go on to say that that 45-70 hurt me worse than my military martini in 577-450, steel buttplate, lighter weight and all.

IP Logged

Bruce P

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 7:15am
Print Post  
I agree with Martinti Belgium here. Replace the buttstock and you'll enjoy the rifle.

Strange though. I never considerd the .40-50 a round that would beat you up like that.

That's quite a raspberry you have on your arm. Save the photo for reference next time you get the urge to buy something with a crescent buttplate. It will serve as a reminder.

Bruce

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Mike, 
I'm the odd duck that likes a crescent buttplate for 67 different reasons.  If you want to dump that stock, I might be interested, if it is an original.  I have an original #5.

Brent

IP Logged

Mike_S.
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 10:48am
Print Post  
" I never considerd the .40-50 a round that would beat you up like that."

I bought the 40-50 SBN thinking it would be a good mid-range easy going cartridge.  I think that it had been used as a target round.  Anyway, my experience with BP is that the recoil is a heavy shove as compared to smokeless which is a sharp recoil.  This cartridge behaves more like a smokeless round, which I think maybe due to the stock drop.  I had the front band of the bullet engaging the rifling, but I have no idea if it would increase the recoil.

I have a Shiloh Sharps 1863 .54 rifle that kicks like a mule too when using a similar load in my 1858 Enfield, which is pleasant to shoot. Those Enfields have a straight stock & the Sharps (military) has more drop & has a narrow butt.  Nice shade of purple though on my arm, don't you think?  Mike

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
That hurts me just looking at that bruise! I've never fired a Ballard in that caliber, so can't compare it. I do however have two Ballards in .45-70, and one in .40-70SS. All have the crescent buttplate, and one is the earliest style with the deep curved crescent buttplate as used on the pre-Marlin style Ballards.
I've gotten bit by that early buttplate with it's extreme crescent, but the others have never beat me up like that .40 has done you!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

J.C.PEELE
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
The plate was used to garden with for yearsand then S&m

IP Logged

Mike_S.
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Sorry boys, I won't be selling the stock, it is numbered to the frame. But I will be ordering some blanks from Calico Hardwoods tomorrow (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) .  There doesn't seem to be much mystery to fitting a new butt, but we'll see.  I have a couple of wide buttplates waiting to be used.

I searched this forum and couldn't find anyone posting about this cartridge.  This is a Rifle Works & Armory version Ballard with gain twist - it's a keeper!
Got to go now, I think I'm coming down with 'Stockholm syndrome'.  Mike

IP Logged

Mike_S.
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2007 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
I have been working on a new stock for my Pacific Ballard.  First, a photo of the original butt-kicking buttstock... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) [I'll just do it from photobucket].  Now, the semi-finished version ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);   The stocks in both photos are not bolted on, just friction fitted.  The pachmyr rubber buttplate is not tightened either .. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links); And finally a shot of the new forearm...had to make one as the wood color was very different... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links); I have been using True Oil by Wahkon Bay, it doesn't build up quickly & there is no stain applied.   Smiley

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2007 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
for you recoil sensitive types  Cry Wink there are several options.  I was searching them out when I was shooting my Browning 45/70 "no-tang" sporter form the bench at EG, with a 500 gr bullet and 30+ grains of 5744.   I learned more than was comfortable about recoil wiht that'un.   I found thet getting 90 drgrees to the butt and sitting so my body had more give helped,  alos one of the PAST magnum shoulder pads helped.

There is another item out there that might help too.  Sims Limbsaver, the outfit that makes all the archery accessories makes a series of buttplate boots out of their NAVACOM material.  I picked up one a while back and gave it to the Frogster to test out for a product review but he got all wrapped up with Frogella I guess and it got sidelined,  however he tells me he will be getting it to the new editor soon.  In the meantime I try to track down a link through my archery sources and post it here.  I know the Filson makes a shooting vest/jacket for the sporting clays crowd that had built in pad pockets for NAVACOM recoil reducing pads.

here's the link,   
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
found it faster than I tought I would,  really ought to order one ofr myself anyway,  in spite of the recoil that 45-70 was REAL accurate,  and real good in the wind
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2007 at 8:28pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Mike_S.
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Jun 3rd, 2007 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Recoil sensitive???  I just don't want to bleed to death at the range with a hematoma like this again

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 3rd, 2007 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
yeah, and it get more colorful as a few days go by,  my light 45-70 beat me up like that too,  try the limbsaver boots.  they are pretty stretchy and might fit around that buttplate ok though they are mostly geared for modern heavy recoil rifles.

good luck,  what is your blood type just in case we need to start an ASSRA blood drive? Wink

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint