Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Shooting rests fro bench shooters (Read 5529 times)
Bruce P

Shooting rests fro bench shooters
Apr 3rd, 2007 at 8:12am
Print Post  
I am going to buy a shooting rest for bench shooting, and have narrowed my choices down to the following two Caldwell models.

Rock BR for competitive shooting..........$169.00

Rock deluxe............................................$79.00

The BR model is heavier, it has more adjusting dials, and will accomodate a wider bag than the deluxe model.

For our type of shooting am I justified to spend the extra $90.00 & purchase the BR, or will the deluxe satisfy my needs???

Bruce

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Shooting rests fro bench shooters
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
I was pretty underwhelmed by  the quality and fit of the Caldwell rests.  there are two sizes of the deluxe one, and I have been told that the larger is OK, but I remain to be convinced.  I bought the smaller of the two through regular channels for a review for SSR Journal about a year and a half ago.  I was not impressed.  I also bought the "Gibraltar" model which is now demoted to "Rock Deluxe."  If you are going to go with the Caldwells, that one is pretty light and has none of the "bells and whistles," but is an OK basic rest.  I personally wouldn't buy the higher priced one...if I wanted better than basic I would go with one of the better ones from somebody else.  JMHO, YMMV!

Green Frog

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Remember that the big one from Caldwell (Midway) is a ripoff of the Bald Eagle design.  I use a Wichita.  Wish I had a BE, but finances don't allow it at the moment.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
I have a basic Sinclair model and have never regretted buying it. Quality and made right outside of Ft Wayne Indiana.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 9:27am
Print Post  
As the thread is drifting away from the original question, if I were to buy a basic rest just to keep the fore end from resting on the bench, I would either get the cheapest Caldwell, or the old, ever popular Hoppe's unit.  If I were going for a good one, with price being of little or no concern, I would buy the Mountain Specialties (see my review in SSR J about a year ago.)  Since I am "financially embarrassed" (as usual) I am using a jury rigged version of a bencrest that is a pale copy of the M-S unit's better features.  FWIW, the Hohne (sp?) top is as good as or better than the other windage tops and can be retrofitted to your good heavy base if you have one.  I suggest perusal of a copy of "Precision Shooting" might give you some good ideas, as it is a Bench Rest specialty mag.

Froggie

IP Logged

Lee_Stone
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
After reading Green Frogs review of the Mountain Specialties bench rest I contacted Scott and ordered one. When it arrived I found what I consider the best rest available. I highly recommend it. It is not inexpensive, but it is the best in my humble opinion. You can contact Scott at:

Scott Hamilton 
        T/A Mountain Specialties  
        8206 Dunlap Cr. Rd 
        Covington, VA 24426 

Phone (540) 962-9545 

I am quite sure that anyone who uses this rest will be more than satisfied with it.

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Bruce,
If those are your two choices I would go with the “BR”.   I caught them on sale one time and bought two, one for myself and a friend.  The windage slide adjustment part in the middle can lift out and break the base at the swivel point.  I put two tie-wraps on mine to keep this from happening after my friends broke.  I also removed most of the top stuff because I use a “Brick” bag and rest the barrel, not the forend. Many folks shoot off the forend so I’m not sure the best way to set it up for that.

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
You can not beat the Sinclair basic! You can up grade the top if and when you want to! And there all make the sameway except for the Big custom, high price ones!
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Sinclair all purpose rest $249. 50 
And you will never have to buy again!
They also have a light one for $147.00 or basic top for $119.00
They call it the light weight                                                                 Jim

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

Bruce P

Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks so much for the information.

Especially the details on all the other rests which are on the market.

Like a lot of other folks so often I have found myself buying equipment and later upgrading to better quality. I end up spending more than what I needed to if only I would have went out and bought quality to begin with.

For the money the Caldwell products look fine, but over the years I have come to learn that using the best you can afford does indeed improve your scores even if it only gives you that much more piece of mind when you reach for ther trigger.

I like the look of the basic Sinclair model. At $249.00 it's still within my wallet's range.

Regards,  Bruce

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
If, (and/or) when, you get serious about bench shooting, you will definitely want a windage adjustable top.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint