Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Off-hand shooting - principles of (Read 35945 times)
Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Re: Off-hand shooting - principles of
Reply #60 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Another pair of questions.

Am I right in my assumption that heavier up front is better than ballanced around the action AND that holding it close to the action is better than out front on the forend?

Also, is there a weight of the rifle (6-8-10-12 pounds) where off-hand shooting generally becomes futile?  I.e.: do the folks that shoot very well use lighter or heavier rifles?

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #61 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 10:05am
Print Post  

If you look at the WSU Winter League scores you will find a few rifle weights posted.  The six shooters in Cody WY shot rifles as light as 12# and one as heavy as 24#.   
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

You will also see that they shot considerably better than the average among all people participating.   

While my .22 offhand rifle weights in around 10+# (thus on the light side), it nonetheless balances far forward of the action.  Even though it has a back bored barrel.  I cannot imagine shooting  a rifle that balances at the action - at least not on targets.  I would not want to hunt with such a rifle either.   

From my limited experience will say that my 10# rifle that I use now is far better for me than my 14# former .22 rifle. But the weight is not the issue.  Fit is far better with the lighter rifle, and fit beats mass every time in my book.

Brent

IP Logged

chrisj

Reply #62 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 10:55am
Print Post  
My opinion is a bit different from Brent's.  There's a lot of room for personal preference in offhand.

My rifle and scope (about 13 lbs) are balanced very close to the palm rest which is right under the action for my rifle.  I think the relation of the palm rest (or where you hold the rifle) to the center of mass would be more important than mass related to the action.  With this set up I get all of the weight above my left arm and through bones.  My right wing only has to gently steady and align the rifle, and it keeps to a minimum any pressure from the hook of the butt-plate on the pulse point under your right arm (for a right handed shooter).  My thought is to minimize what the right arm is doing because any thing the right arm does interferes with isolating the action of the trigger finger.  Keeping the weight balanced above the left arm minimizes what the right arm has to do.

It might be different If I shot something larger than a 22, but with the set-up I have it works for me.

Chris Jens

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #63 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 11:02am
Print Post  
If more weight and more weight up front is better, is it legal to add a weight to the barrel of a lighter rifle?  Or would one have to re-barrel it?

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 11:33am
Print Post  
I add a little weight by leaving the pope muzzle sled that I use for bench, on the barrel while shooting offhand.   

Available from Buffalo Arms
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I have another much nicer one that will be going on my Borchardt as soon as it is done. 

Brent

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #65 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Cat here is my take on the weights.   

Different rifles work best with different weights. For example

My Hunter class NRA rules smallbore silouette rifle weighs 7 1/2 lbs. The new rule allows 8 I think but 7 1/2 was the rule when I set that rifle up. It ballances nice thumb and forefingers on the trigger gard. No hook at all allowed on the buttplate.  I shoot scores with it comprable to my full Schuetzen .22 when praticing I use a lot of cheek preasure and keep the rifle in a "pocket" formed my my sholder.

On the other side of the scale my CPA 44 1/2 fitted with it's rimfire barrel and with a Pope type stock and scope weighs over 14 lbs. It balances on the palm rest. Since the buttplate is hooked it rides between bicep and deltoid muscle, on your arm not in the "pocket" formed by your sholder. 

In the middle the Walther 10m air rifle weighs about 10 lbs  and has no hook to it's buttplate. It's completly adjustable, you can add weights on the muzzle and I have when shooting it with a palm rest.  Throws me completly off balance. Weight forward needs something Aft to keep things steerable. Lack of a hooked plate is the problem. The only way I can shoot it offhand is to mount the rifle thumb and forefingers balancing on the trigger guard.

The best way to play with balance vs weight is a "free rifle" like the Anschutz 54's you can set them any way you want weight ballance hook/flat plate. Palm rest or not, cheek piece height too. What you will find is it's not heavy or light but ballance that makes the rifle shoot offhand.

So you can see it "depends"

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint