Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Off-hand shooting - principles of (Read 35988 times)
bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Off-hand shooting - principles of
Reply #45 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
I agree to the forget the bad shots. I've taught juniors for 17+ years and one thing I always tell them is that a good shot can blow the next shot as well as a bad shot. You need to forget the last shot (good or bad)and keep focused on the present. Focus is the key to all good shooting! It doesn't matter if it is prone, bench or offhand.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
jfeldman wrote on Apr 2nd, 2007 at 12:22am:
The ASSRA 200 yd target for iron sights has a 12 inch bull that extends to the 18 ring, so ten shots in the bull will usually result in a score of 200 or better.  The bull for the scoped or anysight target is 6 inches and extends to the 22 ring.  Ten shots in this bull is a dream of mine! Ha!
   The targets used for .22RF at 100 yds are scaled down for this range and offhand scores for a given shooter seem to be very close at both ranges.  The ammo for offhand .22RF shooting is pretty inexpensive and is, IMO some of the best practise.   FWIW
Regards, Joe

Ned Roberts, in his book The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle, quotes his shooting uncle Alvaro as saying that a good rifleman should be able to keep all his shots inside an 8-inch circle at 40 rods (220 yards), offhand, with peep rear and pinhead front iron sights, if his rifle was accurate. I gather from the tone of the narrative that this level of performance was enough to make a respectable showing but not necessarily enough to win every time.

I can only dream..............
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #47 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 7:12am
Print Post  
Joe -

That's consistant with the rule of thumb for the AVERAGE infantryman being able to off-hand keep rounds in an 8" circle at 100 yards.  Different shootin' irons and speed of shooting of course.

I'm playing with several .22's (until I get the .375 bore stuff on-line) and comparing how well I CAN do with different weights of rifle - from the Winchester 52D (14 lbs) on down.

Bnice - 

I agree, discipline (in focusing in this case) is often the key to success in a wide range of activities.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 8:10am
Print Post  
On offhand pratice

I agree 100% that pratice should be focused and re-enforce good habits not bad ones. It's probably best to end a session thats not going well. If you do however find out why the session was going wrong and try to fix it.

As far as match vs pratice.  It depends.

When I shot a lot of Smallbore Silouette 4 matches each month were avalable and each match ran two types of rifles two matches of each. I was able to shoot over a hundred matches per year. Same with Smallbore prone when I had 250 schudled matches per year in a club 2 miles from my house. No problem to shoot a Hundred of them,  Both I only shot outside of formal matches to fix something on the rifle or solve some positon problem.

Schuetzen is another story.  I only shoot  4 matches per year, 3 Outdoor Hudson matches and one indoor gallery match.  It's due to the distance and with outdoor Schuetzen 3 day format.  I have to pratice, othewise performance will be not up to my expectations. 

If you are located near an active club with a full slate of competition avalable you will be a much better shooter than working isolated. I read often about the Wyoming shooters and amount of competition they have, with very good shooters too.  It's going to be hard to beat that kind of match experence.

I should not paraphrase Tubb, again it's best to read his book, He has shot a lot of diffrent disiplines and refers often to pratice and methods.  No doubt when he was winning all the Sillouette matches match shooting was all he did. When on a college team pratice was his primary shooting.

Boats

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #49 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 7:39am
Print Post  
More questions:

In off-hand competition I ASSUME that a plam rest is allowed.

What about the use of a) slings and b) "shooting stick(s)"?

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #50 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 10:40am
Print Post  
AFAIK, in ASSRA competition, 
a) No
b) No

You are correct that palm rests are allowed and may be of virtually any conventional configuration, and both adjustable and fixed designs are allowed.

At E-G and some other venues, there are special matches, usually for the over-40 cal. crowd, where cross sticks are used.  I am not aware of ANY use of slings in any ASSRA sanctioned matches, but I don't have my rule book handy.

On a related but slightly different note, it is not uncommon for OH shooters to utilize a rifle rest, as seen in other disciplines, to rest the rifle WHILE the shooter is standing and preparing for a shot.  The rifle is then lifted off the rest only at the last moment as the shooter assumes his actual firing position.  This lift may be quite minimal, but the rifle and the shooter's hand (an all other parts) must be clear of the support.  I have made a pipe-clamp device that holds my spotting scope, this rest and even a bar for my powder measure so that I can clamp one thing to the bench top and get all of those jobs accomplished at once.

HTH, Froggie

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #51 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Froggie;
   How about a picture of the said bench clamping device? Would help get the creative juices flowing in this cold weather. Thanks.

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #52 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
I'll work on it, Flatlander.  Only problem, it's cold in the foothills of VA as well!  Undecided

The general idea, which is used by MANY shooters and has been for a long time, is to buy one of those clamp sets that uses a piece of black iron pipe.  One part threads onto the end of the pipe, the other can be slid up and down to approximate position, then there is a crank to do your final tightening...every tool seller from "Horrible Freight" to "Rears and Sawbuck" has about the same unit.   Cool

The pipe is clamped to the table with about 3 or more feet sticking up above the table, then whatever you need to support is attached to this upright pipe.  I took a T-fitting and reamed out the threads so it would slide on the pipe, then cut extra long threads on a short section to screw into the short leg of the T and tighten against the upright.  Singleshot turned me on to the idea of using some insulating foam around the pipe to protect the rifle finish.  My scope mount is a flat bar of aluminum about 4" long with a hole to slide on the pipe (secured in place with a set screw) and another hole for an old Freeland's scope stand mounting piece. The powder measure clamps to or goes through a similar plate located down close to the surface of the table where it's convenient.  All of this is instantly adjustable for different benches at different ranges.  Lots of folks use wood instead of aluminum or other variations on the theme...it comes down to whatever you have available that will work for you!  Cheesy 

I'll try to get some pix and post them when Global Warming reaches Central VA!  Our weatherman doesn't know about it yet!!  Roll Eyes

Froggie

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #53 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
It`s called a "BAR CLAMP"

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #54 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Jim, the box mine came in says "pipe clamp," and I've always considered the term "bar clamp" limited to those flat bar things that do the same thing using the bar that comes with the clamping mechanism rather than fitting on a piece of black iron pipe that the customer supplies.  As you know however, I'm a Biologist by trade, so if my technical terminology is confused, just blame it on my raisin'!  Wink

BTW, for those with deeper pockets than a retired Biology teacher, Sinclair makes a Jim Dandy unit with solid steel rods, some sort of synthetic clamp plates, etc, etc.  I saw one being used by (I believe) el Presidente for the last season or two and it looks mighty spiffy.  Now where did I put that hammer and my piggy bank...  Roll Eyes 

Froggie

PS  I'm gathering up the parts of my XXXX clamp unit and will try to get pix posted by Mon or Tues.  GF

IP Logged

breecher
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Apr 8th, 2007 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Regarding Ned Robert's Uncle Alvaro, he actually stated that a good rifleman should keep his shots in a 8" circle SHOOTING FROM A REST.

(page 44, "The Breech-Loading Single Shot Rifle")

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Apr 8th, 2007 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Regarding Ned Robert's Uncle Alvaro, he actually stated that a good rifleman should keep his shots in a 8" circle SHOOTING FROM A REST.

(page 44, "The Breech-Loading Single Shot Rifle")

Sir, my copy of Robert's The Breech-Loading Single Shot Rifle contains no such statement on page 44, the contents of which deal with the Maynard rifle and have some small reference to the groups obtained by particular shooters at a mere 200 yards. I refer you to the source I cited earlier, Roberts' The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle, the Stackpole NRA edition, page 121. He states an 8" circle with iron sights offhand, 4" with iron sights and a rest, and 2 1/2" with a scope and a rest, all at 40 rods which is a full 220 yards.

Like the man said earlier in another thread, don't make me tell you again. Your intentions were undoubtedly good but your facts were a little weak sorry.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 6:20am
Print Post  
[/quote]
Sir, my copy of Robert's The Breech-Loading Single Shot Rifle contains no such statement on page 44, the contents of which deal with the Maynard rifle and have some small reference to the groups obtained by particular shooters at a mere 200 yards. I refer you to the source I cited earlier, Roberts' The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle, the Stackpole NRA edition, page 121. He states an 8" circle with iron sights offhand, 4" with iron sights and a rest, and 2 1/2" with a scope and a rest, all at 40 rods which is a full 220 yards.

Like the man said earlier in another thread, don't make me tell you again. Your intentions were undoubtedly good but your facts were a little weak sorry.
Good luck, Joe [/quote]
I think that Roberts and his uncle are wrong here, Roberts has several errors in his book-proving, I suppose, that he was human.
The Winter League match at Old Colony is 20 shots at 200 yards, offhand, at a target with a 13" black (9 and 10) and a 7" 10 ring. In the over 20 years that I shot the match, a score of 200 = 20 shots in 7" at 200 yards was a rare event. We had a visitor from the north do it a few times, perhaps a couple of others. Rare. Thus, keeping the shots in an 8" black at 220 yards, a similar feat, is not what a "real" rifleman can do, but what a "rare" rifleman can do.
More puzzling is Roberts's discussion of the 77 power draw-tube spotting scope in "Accessories and Equipment", pg 124-125 of the NRA 1996 edition. Either draw-tube spotting scopes have some magic, or the 77 power business and being able to see the head of a pin at 40 rods just ain't true.
joe brennan

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 10:33am
Print Post  
I don't know about the draw-tube scope, but the group sizes quoted in Roberts' book seem eminently doable to me. I personally have never been even an adequate offhand shooter but can usually match or beat the 'with rest' group sizes he mentioned. I would expect that's true of most of us on this board.

JoeB, you gotta remember that most folks can't shoot nearly as well in a shoulder-to-shoulder match as they can in practice, so the match group sizes are almost always larger. Also, the precise definition and abilities of "real" vs "rare" riflemen may have undergone some changes over the years (VBG).
Cheers, Joe

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
I got to thinkin' (always dangerous) about this accuracy thing, and especially the 200-yard 'from rest' quotes and opinions. 8" or 4", from a rest, with iron sights, at 200 yds?

An 8" group at 200 yds with iron sights from a rest is indeed considered to be good-to-excellent accuracy.............for a revolver. My own S&W Stainless Magna Classic will do slightly better than this, and so will my friend Richard K's blue one. With open sights, no peeps, and with me doing the shooting. My ancient 1903NM with Lyman 17 & 48 will do the 2 1/2" groups all day long and usually much better with Sierras, I'm not quite as good with the Lyman 311284s but still manage the 2 MOA that equals a 4" 200-yd group.

So I gotta figure that Roberts' figures for offhand are as realistic as his figures for a rest, IOW quite realistic, and that means an 8" offhand group at 220 yards with iron sights.

That also means that I ain't no real rifleman, 'cause I jest cain't do it.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint