Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Off-hand shooting - principles of (Read 35962 times)
Paul_F.
Ex Member

Re: Off-hand shooting - principles of
Reply #30 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
I agree with what Boats said...

There IS some natural talent involved... but a lot of what is often attributed to "lack of talent" is more "ingrained bad habits" than it is lack of talent.
And "talent" more often than not manifests itself in people who work very hard to train themselves to shoot, and they practice their butts off to get that "talent".

Dry fire.
Shoot.
Visualize.
Practice perfection.

"Perfect practice makes perfect"

Cheesy

Paul F.

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #31 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Folks there is one item missing in all this discussion. That is practice, practice and more practice. And then when you think you have mastered offhand you will all of a sudden learn some new very minor change in your procedure that will improve your scores. The other issue I feel strong about is bench shooting. bench shooting is wonderful for bench shooting and for finding the ultimate load for your rifle. IT DOES NOTHING FOR OFFHAND. In fact I feel it hurts offhand scores. It teaches you to look for that pefect standing still hold that we mortals cannot achieve. Yesterday I shot a .219 Imp Zipper from bench for about an hour and a half. Then said to myself, shoot the last twenty rounds offhand as I was zeroing the rifle for an offhand match. HAH! All over the place, I did keep them all in the black but not very well. Now I know I can shoot better than what I did, and I know the rifle was shooting good as the Bench shooting had proved that. I have for many years avoided bench shooting for just this reason but still need to show myself once in a while what happens. Well enough ranting for now. Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Fitz you are right about pratice, It's essential and good pratice is most important of all.

Let me say I am not the best offhand shooter, only turning in respectable scores at most matches, I do like the game have done it a long time and am a student of offhand.  I probably should not give anybody advice at my level however just to illustrate what we are saying.

Going back to my pratice target last week.  Analizing it at home focus on the off shots.  39 in the black, nothing much to be learned from them it's the 2 outside scoring rings and 9 outside the black that give me a chance to study and improve.

First lets look at the Rifle, Ammunition and ambient conditons

A well put together match rifle with good trigger and scope sight, it's capable of 1 MOA. No excueses there. I was using pratice ammo. 3 bucks a box and the same brand and velocity as my match ammo.  The thing with cheap ammo is it groups great untill you get a flyer, and the cheap stuff always gets a flyer.  Normaly I call and spot each shot so ammunation flyers are obvious. Since I was working on a particular thing this session did not spot and call. Could be one of my off shots was due to the ammo but I don't think so.  Ambient conditions would give me perhaps 1 moa of bullet drift, This borne out by my targets later. I need to focus on what I did to shoot off shots not my equipment.

2 shots outside the scoring rings have the same problem, Was just not thinking abojt the shot when pulling he triggger. How you can hold a rifle and think about whats for dinner when you pull the trigger I don't know but thats what happens.  The solution to that problem for me is use a "trigger" to lock focus before each shot. In a match I settle, lift my head and look at the target with my left eye, focus mentaly, then drop down and execute the shot. Could not use that method this session because I was training something else, and that's the reason for the 2 way off shots. I don't let this happen in a match.  

The signifigant error, 9 shots within the scoring rings but outside the black were poor trigger pulls. Not jerky or anything like that but pulling to slow or being too tenative on the trigger.  That's my siginfigant error and has been the thing I have worked on for years.  Someone else may be different but in my case seeing a good sight picture and not being able to execute the shot is the problem.  

The only cure and perhaps thats the wrong word, I have found is to work fast, get some pratice shots off quick not giving myself a chance to hesitate.   Before a match thats how I warm up. In a match will do this with dry fire which works just about as good. If it's a real problem during a match and the rules allow will go to the sighter target and shotgun some off just to mimimize the hesiatation.

The other side and problem with that method is not to waste a shot by pulling too quick. This is very common in Silouette were a miss is only counted as a miss. It's real easy to let one go with the only consequence 1 target lost.  In Schetzen with paper targets you cannnot afford to let anything go.  It's as hard not to shoot as it is to pull the trigger.  You cannot afford to break a shot thats outside the black. 

The accepted wisdom on this is to get your shot off within the first few seconds. If the sights won't settle lift your head re-group and settle again. I let my self do that 3 times maixmum. If I can't settle on the target by then will put the rifle down and begin my mount and settle sequence all over again.  However the essential thing is not to let a shot go thats outside the intended scoring area.  It's the black for me but could well be the entire paper for a beginner, or the 23 ring for a top level shooter.  As skills improve you can narrow the impact area. It's key to have one and make sure you use it as your standard for breaking shots.

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Fitz

On Bench shooting, I agree. It's a totaly different sport than offhand.  I know very good offhand shooters that have never done well in Agg matches because they have never learned to bench shoot. 

Boats

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #34 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 11:06am
Print Post  
When I shot M14's at Quantico, we'd shoot 200 yards standing unsupported (no sling), 300 yards sitting and 600 yards prone.  My course average was 93.  I made my money at 600 - iron sights too.

That's why I'm asking these questions about off-hand - because I know many of the principles, but it's a matter of getting it all together and good practice/coaching/reading/mind-set.

When I go to the range I practice at 100 yards standing - although NO ONE else at the range practices (for hunting) that way.  I've always wondered.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Cat_Whisperer wrote on Apr 3rd, 2007 at 11:06am:
When I go to the range I practice at 100 yards standing - although NO ONE else at the range practices (for hunting) that way.  I've always wondered.

Why?   

I can count on one hand the number of animals that I have shot at offhand while hunting (except for flying birds of course).  I think offhand shooting while hunting is quite an unlikely affair myself.  Knowing how to take a rested shot from an awkward angle - now THAT is something worth practicing, if only one can know which awkwardness will occur.

Brent

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Cat

David Tubb says Highpower is lost at 600 yards won at 200 offhand.  Reason is long range conditons can bite you, if everthing works right the target is not real hard to clean. But a Shift can make you lose major points.

Offhand if you are proficent it's possable to make gains on the competition. .30 cals hardly have any drift at that range and the rifles are pretty accurate, I suppose the .223's are too. The over the course 200 yard offhand target is not so hard either.

I only shot service rifle while in the Millitary and Reserve.  Never on an offical team always a pick up anybody can shoot team at unit level.  We had so-so M1's converted to .308 either accuate or dogs depending on the bedding mostly.  With my muzzleloader background offhand was the better leg. Rapid and Prone not so good. Tubb says most of his high power pratice is offhand and I think he is right.

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
One more thing about offhand

I should not quote Tubbs book, its worth reading yourself. but I did pick up signifigant advice on offhand shooting from him.

He advocates shooting approach.  Settle off the bull slightly and break the shot as the sights swing into allignment.  Tubb claims it's impossable to hold the rifle steady, a repeatable and predictable approach is better than frustrating yourself trying. He takes a patterned swing on every shot.

The swing is not as extreme as  Skeet howeve the same in principal. The settle off to swing in is only a few inches at 200 yards. Key is always approach in the same maner and direction.  If you think about it some very good shooting is done swinging the gun. Shotguns mostly. while the pattern is larger than a rifles it's still very demanding to hit a flying target. It would not be possable without a smooth repeatable swing.

This is not so far off prone shooting. We were always trained to settle slightly higher than the bull and exhale, holding and breaking the shot when sights come into allignment. Always the same 12/0Clock to centered.

It made a big difference for me

Boats

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
I have always read, and taken to heart that "Highpower matches are won in standing, and lost in slow prone".

If you're a good solid standing shooter, and just "don't screw up" in slow prone, you'll come out on top.

Also, a general truism I have observed is that you'll generally get your new classification card when your standing scores average the bottom of the class you're in NOW. (in other words, when you're shooting expert scores in offhand, you're probably gonna be getting your Master card in the mail pretty soon).

When I was shooting highpower, I practiced 80% of my time in offhand, 20% "everything else".   
It served me pretty well... 

Paul F.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #39 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Cat_Whisperer wrote on Apr 3rd, 2007 at 11:06am:
When I go to the range I practice at 100 yards standing - although NO ONE else at the range practices (for hunting) that way.  I've always wondered.

Why?  
I can count on one hand the number of animals that I have shot at offhand while hunting (except for flying birds of course).  I think offhand shooting while hunting is quite an unlikely affair myself.  Knowing how to take a rested shot from an awkward angle - now THAT is something worth practicing, if only one can know which awkwardness will occur.
Brent

Why - most of my hunting has been off-hand.  (Exception being woodchucks.)  Rabbits, jack-rabbits, squirrels (ok - some convoluted rests to steady) pheasants (not with rifle though).   I agree taking a rest from whatever is available would be excellent practice - or setting up a shooting bench out in the woods.   Roll Eyes

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #40 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Paul, Boats -

Good comments.  It's going to be fun going through this thread listing the principles and building a routine.  Haven't shot competition for at least 15 years.  Building the prototype breechseater (for the .375H&H) and will start shooting that and the .375 win when I get the right mould/sizer issues in tow.   

It's cool to toss out a few questions and get ALL KINDS of good responses!

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
assra #9885
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 9:08pm
Print Post  

Brent,

Offhand hunting depends very much on were you are.  In our area high power rifles are limited to West of the Blue Ridge, or if East from an elevated stand. Sitting is the way most hunting is done in those areas.

However East Shotguns with Buckshot or Muzzleloader rifles are the rule and hunting with Dogs is the sport.  Short range, heavy cover, and fast shots. Offhand is the only way anyone shoots.  If you sit your butt gets wet in the swamp and you can't see over the briars.  Early season .22 Squrrel Hunting we walk with a treeing dog. All offhand.

Boats

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I use trees, my knees, cross sticks, etc.  I have shot a few deer offhand but darned rare.  I shot an elk offhand once too.  35 yds.  Practice really wasn't a big issue there.   

As for Tubbs and practice, I could swear I read an article of his on the web about how he very very rarely practices.  In fact, he does a lot of "practicing" in his head, but not with his hands.   

A lot of practice might be a good idea to a point, but it had best be good practice.  There is a tacky saying to the effect that "Practice does not make perfect.  Perfect practice may make perfect".  (I think its supposed to be a catchier jingle than that though).  Be that as it may, I find some quality practice (generally short bouts) and a lot of pre and post mental analyses sure helps.  Shooting the WSU winter league really helps with my confidence as well.  Confidence is 90%, at least for me.

Brent

IP Logged

J.C.PEELE
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Just been lucky all my life. Never practice but do lie a little,never cheat.

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #44 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
     I believe I read in one of my books on shooting that Jack Writer used to schedule a certain amount of time for a practice session.  If he was shooting badly he would quit well before the session was over.  If he was shooting well he would shoot beyond the scheduled time.  He wanted the good shooting to become instinctive.  He did not want to ingrain the bad shooting.
     Lanny Bassham says to never think about a bad shoot. Get it out of your mind.  If you want to think about what you did on any particular shot think about the one that was perfect and what you did to get that shot.

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint