Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Off-hand shooting - principles of (Read 35972 times)
chrisj

Re: Off-hand shooting - principles of
Reply #15 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
To help judge what an excellent score is, following is a list of the Kings of the Central Sharpshooters Union.  These were all shot offhand, 10 shots on the 3/4 inch German Ring target at 200 yards. No re-entry, no time limit.

Year            King      Score
1897            J.D. Regennitter      225
1899            G E Schmidt      218
1901            F Steinbel      218
1903            J E Schmidt      217
1905            J M Schmidt      219
1907            E D Ekstedt      214
1909            Emil Berg      226
1911            A G Bitterly      230
1913            C T Westergaard      226
1915            S.A. Schindler      224
1917            Wm. Muhl      225
1919            C. T. Westergaard      226
1921            Albert Schlatter      227
1923            F Senn      228
1925            A Hubalek      231
1927            C. T. Westergaard      222
1929            A Hubalek, Sr      226

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #16 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 12:22am
Print Post  
The ASSRA 200 yd target for iron sights has a 12 inch bull that extends to the 18 ring, so ten shots in the bull will usually result in a score of 200 or better.  The bull for the scoped or anysight target is 6 inches and extends to the 22 ring.  Ten shots in this bull is a dream of mine! Ha!
    The targets used for .22RF at 100 yds are scaled down for this range and offhand scores for a given shooter seem to be very close at both ranges.  The ammo for offhand .22RF shooting is pretty inexpensive and is, IMO some of the best practise.   FWIW
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #17 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 6:59am
Print Post  
Ahhhhhhhhh, yes!

At 200 - 6"= 22 and 12= 18 ring - I can translate that to my 25 yard group!  (YEEECH Embarrassed )

Goals are important - since Christmas I've lost 25 lbs and lowerd blood pressure from 135/84 to 110/70.  Did not happen without goals AND using EXCEL to chart progress (that keeps it real-life and allows one to look at the trend).

Can I shoot 3 moa off-hand?  Not now, not this year.  But now we've defined it.

It's good to see a variety as well.  Thanks!

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Cat_Whisperer wrote on Apr 2nd, 2007 at 6:59am:
Ahhhhhhhhh, yes!

At 200 - 6"= 22 and 12= 18 ring - I can translate that to my 25 yard group!  (YEEECH Embarrassed )

Only if you can put the group in the middle.   

Brent

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Cat 

Good advice all. Not much to add but,

On Scores. Harry Pope said it's the absense of bad shots more than good ones that makes a score. He is sure right about that.  Years ago when shooting HP Silouette one of the better shooters told me most people could improve there scores considerably by not making mistakes.  A mistake would be a pulled shot x fire etc.

As far as scores.  220 is a very good mark for the 10 shot match. In the Hudson which is harder due to the number of shots 2000 sort of seperates the "men from the boys"  2200 in a Hundson would be a very good. score. 

After a lay off in cold weather I praticed last week. Have the target in front of me now. 50 shots 50 Yrds on the ASSRA targer .22 rimfire . I shot 25 on each bull at a fairly fast pace to work the kinks out. At that range there are no conditons to make any real difference.  Black or to the 18 ring is 3 inches or 6 moa.

First target 5 outside the black. 2nd target 6 outside the black but 2 of the 6 just outside the scoring rings which is a 10 under ASSRA rules.  Had I not pulled those shots, All 11 that is ,total score would have been probably 50 plus points higher or 100 plus points on a Hundson match.   

Streach it to a match and absense of error would have made the difference between also ran and a contender.  Look at it another way 6 moa will deliver a very good score if there is nothing outside 6 moa.  4 or 5 moa is no doubt better but even if the majority of shots land in 4 or 5 errors will ruin any chance of placing in most offhand matches.

Avoiding errors is all mental. you don't have to pull the trigger on a off shot. You do need to pull the trigger on all good shots.   

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Cat 2 more things 

All the books recomended are very good. I found David Tubbs High Power Rifle to be excelent. He has some very good methods for offhand shooting. Tubb may be the best living offhand shot. For sure the one with widest experence in all disiplines.

Other thing on centered up groups. Brent is right you need to keep the group centered up.  It's more like pistol shooting than rifle and bench zeros will not be the same as offhand.

I lay my fired target on the bench. It ought to have a lot of shots to make an adequate test. at least 25.  Omitting the off shots use a framing square to draw a box around the majority of holes. Height and width.  I note it in MOA. Say 3 moa high and 5 moa wide.  Then draw an X through the corners of the box.   the x should be in the X ring. If not measure it and note off center in MOA.   

Often times you will see windage drift due to conditons. Thats one thing to keep your eye on when shooting I do crank my sight left and right during a match if conditons are playing with impact. Elevation errors are more correctable before the match. If they are off note the sight setting for range/rifle/load and use it. Mine will be from 1 to 2 moa off bench settings, generaly lower offhand than when rest shooting. Less in rimfire more in centerfire as the rifle recoils more. 

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Last from me I promise

On my pratice target. Left bull fired first after a dozen or so shots on a sighter target. Nicely centered up.

I shot the Pratice-Record targets fast, Skeet shooting pace, and did not adjust sights during the string

2nd bull with 25 shots, Looking at it now a definate bias toward left. Measured using methods above, center of impact for 19 shots 1 moa left.   

Obviously I missed the let up.  If I moved all the holes in my 2nd target right 1 moa it would have improved scores, perhaps a point each.  Still the signifant error was the off shots outside the rings. 

Thats all Going fishing,

Boats

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 11:28am
Print Post  
There's an aspect of offhand shooting that nobody here has yet addressed, and that is talent. A friend and I shot at Old Colony for well over 20 years in a winter league offhand 200 yard match at a target with a 7" 10 ring and 13" 9 ring-the black. During that time we practiced a great deal, read a lot, and were coached by some very good shooters. Neither of us became adequate offhand shooters. My high score was a fluke 192, averages somewhere in the 180s. The better shooters could shoot averages in the 190s, and that 10 points is the difference between night and day. We also shot in the MSS matches at the German Ring Target, and other matches throughout the year. I shot tens of thousands of practice shots.
I recall Fitz returning after a ?2? year layoff and shooting in the 190s with his first target, others doing the same. 
Jim Feren is the best example of talent that I know of. He sort of appeared, shot the daylights out of everybody, and went away. I (with Rudi's help) started an article on Jim, but never finished it for some reason.
I think that it's fair to tell folks that study and practice and coaching ain't going to do it unless you have the talent, and I can testify to the frustration the untalented feel while attempting to become an offhand shooter.
On a more positive note, it appears that good offhand shooting doesn't worsen with age, and may get better. The old guys who shot good when younger seem to shoot as well as they age.
Thank God for bench rest.
joe brennan

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
joeb33050 wrote on Apr 2nd, 2007 at 11:28am:
There's an aspect of offhand shooting that nobody here has yet I think that it's fair to tell folks that study and practice and coaching ain't going to do it unless you have the talent, and I can testify to the frustration the untalented feel while attempting to become an offhand shooter.

That's true of anything from Olympic class swimming, to professional cycling, basketball, or even statistics.  Some folks got it, some never will.

Brent

IP Logged

chrisj

Reply #24 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Some have alluded to changing your sights between bench and standing.  I have to ask why?

It seems to me that if your sight picture is right, it does not matter whether you are off a bench, standing, sitting, or upside down, the rifle is pointed the same.  If you have to adjust from bench to standing, in at least one of the positions your sight picture is not right.  To me it seems better to change your position to correct the sight picture than to modify your sights to correct for a bad position.

The influence of one bad shot on your score is still much more than this either way.

Chris Jens

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
I find that I also have to adjust the sights when going from benchrest to offhand.  I think it is the way the rifle recoils differently from being on the bags in benchrest to being held when shooting offhand.  I am sure the difference in sight sdjustment varies from person to person also.
At 50 feet I find virtually no difference and at 200 yards it may be 4 or 5 clicks depending on which rifle I am shooting.

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
It's the way the rifle recoils. Even .22's shot prone with a tight sling will group different than off a bench.   

Best example I know if is shoot groups with a Goverment model 45. One holding the pistol tight with two hands centered on your body. Then another in the classic one hand sideways stance. It makes a large difference in point of impact.

Boats

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
What Boats said, and plenty of it.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Joe 

There is no doubt talent is part of sucess at the highest levels of any sport.  However with proper training and coaching any person with reasonable conditioning, reflexes, and determanation can learn to shoot a rifle offhand. In Schuetzen we have a few very talented people, Jim Feren was one (and also won a couple of Silouette National Championships) but generaly the level of competion allows the ordanary guy to compete respectably.

Offhand is not harder than casting a Fly rod, Golf or any other not too strenous sport that requires concetration.  As far as age, It's not a big factor, perhaps at the highest level but take the Golf example, lots of guys that are quite old shoot scores not far off the top younger players.  In percentage terms could be the old guys are 2-3% higher in scores. Rifles are no different I have been out shot handliy by guys much older than me. Only thing now is the number that are older is reducing.

I think one thing that happens to Shooters is lack of eary formal training  You cant' go to a rifle coach like you can a Golf Coach. If you could improvement would be much faster

We also have too much fixation on the mechanical aspects of shooting. In our sport once the rifle shoots under say, 2 moa, all effort ought to be put on physical and mental training. Not that a 1 moa rifle will not do better in the right hands it's just the effort vs gains are not reflected in scores.

Boats

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Chris,
When I shoot off the forearm from the bench, the gun will shoot the same with offhand.  But if I shoot off a muzzle sled, then it tends so shoot low offhand - sometimes about 4 clicks worth.  Not all of my rifles are like this but most are.

Brent

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint