Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sharps Borchardt Reproductions by Al Story (Read 9174 times)
sakoman
Senior Forum Member

Sharps Borchardt Reproductions by Al Story
Jan 15th, 2007 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Borchardt reproductions ARE being made by Al Story, in Silver City, New Mexico.  I was in his shop Saturday and today looking at them and touching them.  Al was busy working on at least 75 to 80 actions in various stages of completion.  He is in the shop, located at his house,  7 days a week.   He can be reached at:  Borchardt Rifle Corp.  9732 Hwy 180, Silver City, New Mexico, 88061. The phone number on his brochure is 505-535-2923.   He did ask that you let it ring a while if you call. 

Al also showed me a write up in the 2006 edition of the Gun Digest on his Borchardt rifles and also on a single shot action rifle he makes for the Browning 50 cal round. I also saw a couple of those rifles in his shop.  It is a 32 pound monster for REAL MEN. 

Allen

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Re: Sharps Borchardt Reproductions by Al Story
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
We are well acquainted with Al Story's fine Sharps'-Borchardt reproduction. He donated a barreled action that was made into the first "Classic Rifle" for ASSRA. Ken Hurst engraved that rifle and Bernie Harrell stocked it. It was a WONDERFUL rifle, inside and out. We featured that rifle in a complete work-up complete with pictures including the cover shot.

Bernie later bought a couple of these actions and made rifles of them. For a using rifle, I would rather have one of these than the original action.

FWIW
Dale53

IP Logged

sakoman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
There was a comment posted a few months ago stating that they could not get in touch with Mr. Story and thought that he was not in business. 

That was why  I posted my comment after visiting his shop.

I don't know much about Borchardts since my interest is in Ballards and Winchesters.

Allen

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2007 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Allen;
I didn't intend to seem as if I were "putting you down" at all. That was not, in any way, my intention. In fact, I was just reinforcing your laudatory comments on the Story rifles.

Dale53

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2007 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Allen, 

My thanks as well for letting us know that Al is "alive and well."  He is a great guy who not only provided the action for a great prize rifle, but who came to help man the ASSRA booth at the NRA meeting that year and talk to folks about single shots and specifically the Borchardt.  He is a fine gentleman and his product takes a back seat to NO ONE!!  Sending his "test rifle" back after I wrote the review on it was a real heart break for me!  Cry  If I had any kids, I would have probably offered to trade him one of them for it!!!  Cheesy

Froggie

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Allen,
Does Mr. Story employ many people or is he doing this all on his own??

Bob

IP Logged

sakoman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 10:45am
Print Post  
I was there two different days and on one day there were two people in addition to Al working and on the second there was one other man working there.  I didn't ask what they were working on.  Al did have one CNC milling machine making levers, running unattended, when I was there.   

He said that the present lead time for an action or rifel was about 18 months at this time.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

zrifleman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
As to the rumor that Al Story is not running Borchardt Rifle Co.-----I talked to him this morning on the phone, in his shop. Brian Freeman is no longer employed by him! Possibly a disgruntled former employee. They are running behind on production---I couldn't talk him out of parts for one of my projects. He is always pleasant to deal with, prices are fair, and parts are well made.

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 6:12am
Print Post  
Al and I have been on a friendly basis for some years and we talk quite often ----  he is definitely in business !!!    Ken

IP Logged

CptCurl

Reply #9 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 11:15am
Print Post  
I am bringing this thread back to ask the current status of the Borchardt Rifle Company.  I found their website:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links), but I also found legal authority online indicating that their FFL was revoked in 2010:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).

Does anybody know if they still are in business making Borchardt rifle actions?

I am also wondering if anybody knows an approximate number of rifles and actions that they have made.

Thanks,
Curl

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Wasn't long ago that I believe a post was made here stating Al had components there to assemble 6-8 rifles. Of course BRC is very busy making barrels, and Al is still in business.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
I also recently purchased a barrel from him.........

JMH

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint