Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Reading Mirages   (Read 19822 times)
hst
Oldtimer

Re: Reading Mirages  
Reply #30 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Quote:

The ACC is a one-day match in the four-day shooting event.

Mr. Rix:

Good to hear from you!

What are events of the other three days?

Glenn Fewless

IP Logged

vbull

Reply #31 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 7:23am
Print Post  
Glenn,
The next day is an open practice for the 2 day long range regional match held on Saturday and Sunday.
ACC Thursday, Practice Friday, NRA Regional Saturday + Sunday.
Frank M.

IP Logged

vbull

Reply #32 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 7:34am
Print Post  
Boats,
Your correct about the match rules governing the needs to learn mirage reading.  In general, the short distance of schuetzen will not see the same effect of mirage as the long range shooters experience.  It is common for a reversal to cause a LR BP shooter to miss the target frame completely even if his last shot was a center hit.  At 1000 yards the frame is only 3 moa from center to air.  When it happens, you can pan your scope up and down the target line and note how many missed the reversal.  Another rule in the NRA matches: personal wind flags ahead of the firing line are not allowed.  With rare exception, all of the matches I've attended have had range flags.  Some not so good, but present.  Frank M.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Vbull

For Schuetzen offhand matches I gave up on personal wind flags. My experence was too much time worrying about them, how they are set etc.  It detracted from my focus. 

I think it's more important to watch the weather match day carefully.  What's it doing, switching direction, increasing and falling off whatever.  Best way is to observe natural conditions.  Trees, clouds, smoke rising, the conditons around the range. Most places There are only a couple of normal weather conditons to see. Here it's stong NE backing off ligher and going back strong, direction changing little. S/E light and varable with major changes in direction. Storms and squalls are another thing. They present a real oppotunity to improve your match standing if not personal score. Waiting out the gust is the way to go there, and watch other shooters get angry or give up. The primary thing to watch if shooting a 3 day match is what each day is likely to present. Sometimes It's best to wait a day out or get going and shoot the whole match in the best conditon.

When sighting in I shoot a few in the most adverse conditon held center to see what the strike is. That gives me the paramaters of what I can expect. Lets say center to 3 Moa right in the major conditon. and of course if sighted for the major conditon thats 3 moa left if the wind goes flat. That gives me the spread I can expect a well held shot to strike.

When shooting you need to watch something.  I may try to get a mirage read while waiting out a conditon or cease fire.  Dust from the backstop is a real good indicator. And I look at other shooters wind flags, certanly plenty of them out there. However once the match begins I am fairly sure what the wind will do to my bullet and only have to watch for signifigant shifts. and pay attention to my sight settings.  Most of the valaditon of sight adjustment choices is spotting each shot compared to call. If puzzled by something there is always the sighter to go back to

Thats what I do anyway

Boats

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Talking about smoke and trees ...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) I also read somewhere, that grass blades move in a 5 MPH wind

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Dec 22nd, 2006 at 8:24am:

If puzzled by something there is always the sighter to go back to

Boats

Sorta depends on what sort of match you are shooting of course.  

A lot of matches do not allow a return to the sighter - and some may not even allow an initial sighter.   Generally, elk, deer, etc also have a habit of not allowing sighters. Wink

Brent

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Brent I understand WSU is shooting without sighters once the record string starts. and counting all shots fired.  That to me is a good idea as it's much harder. Schuetzen is sort of watered down from what it  once was. WSU is going in the right direction in my opinion.

I used to shoot a fair amount of Service rifle and sighters were not allowed once the record relay started. High power silouette too. Coaching is allowed in both and worth more than sighters if you have the right coach. In fact I would say in BPCS the spotter is worth at least as much as the shooter. You can't compete sucessfully without a good one.

Each match has it's own rules and the best advice is to figure out a way to compete under the rules sucessfully. It is a mistake however to carry over methods that work well for one and not for another. Since they are allowed in ASSRA Schuetzen it's well worth using the sighter target to check changes in wind conditons. I  am not so sure Mirage is usefull, and you don't see any top offhand shooters using it.

Game is another matter. Around here we don't get much for long shots and holding dead center is the way to go with any sort of high velocity rifle.   

Still the basic advice is the same figure out the base conditon and watch for changes.

Boats

IP Logged

Michael Rix
Participating Member

Reply #37 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Hi Glenn,
Yup. That is the schedule. This NO Coaching format match was added to the front of the South West Regional LR this year to see if there was much interest in this kind of match. 

As you know, in the BPCR silhouette, mid-range and long-range matches with coaching, it is a team event. Winners’ coaches get little official notice. More, if you don’t have your regular spotter with you at a match far from home, the going can be tough. 

I was talking this over with Mr. Steve Rhoades last summer in Raton after the LR Nationals and he offered to find a spot for this “No Coaching” match in AZ to see how it would be received.  I welcome BPCR matches where a single rifleman, as in most other shooting disciplines can come by them self to do there best. So hopefully we will have some takers from far away places, as this is also the Regional. His match is well attended anyway as most western stated are represented. He runs a very good match!

To stay on topic I should say I have found that some days are wind flag days and other days are more of a mirage day. I just have to see what is working best each time I get to the line or behind a scope. Most days I use a blend of both but there are times when one or the other will lie to you. I like to use mirage if I can as I fine it is easiest for me to make accurate corrections. Errr… that is when I do make accurate corrections.

I can mail entry’s for the ACC….
Michael Rix

M. Rix

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Last December I started this post. I received allot of great input on what to look for, how to read it, and that it’s just a matter of spending time out on the range. I agree with that. I do appreciate everyone’s input it has been of great help over the last year. 

J.D.Steele
                Thanks for the name of the book “Reading the Wind and Coaching Techniques” by Jim Owens, USMC. 

This post has a lot of great advice on what to look for and what to do with it. Thanks to all of you that contributed to the post. 

At this time I have just have one more request from all of you. Does anyone have what they would consider a must have book that covers “Reading Mirages”. Granted, the real work is on the range. Yet I believe that it does not hurt knowing what you need to look for and what to do when you can read it. Books are a great source of reference knowledge; they will not replace the experts, or your time on the range. I really don’t wish to be besieged with a number of books that say the same thing; perhaps one or two that pretty much say it all would be just fine with me. 

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #39 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
"At this time I have just have one more request from all of you. Does anyone have what they would consider a must have book that covers “Reading Mirages”. "

The Accurate Rifle by Warren Page.   The BEST    Grin  as far as I am concerned.   4227    Kiss Kiss

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
what 4227 said. Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint