Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Reading Mirages   (Read 19827 times)
Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Re: Reading Mirages  
Reply #15 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
No one can tell you how to shoot in mirage or read the wind!!!!! Can tell you what to look for!!!!! Just have to go to the range and shoot and write down what was going on with each shoot and keep doing this over and over. The BIG thing is being able to recognize the condition over and over. Practive is the only way there is no short cut, have to put in the time to get the benefit. Wink
Undecided SORRY NO SHORT CUTS 

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
If you can write it down in words, then you can teach it as well.  That's not to say that practice is unnecessary - anything physical requires practice, and that includes all forms of shooting competition.  However, practice does not exclude the utility of books or discussion.   

From what I've learned here, mirage has nothing to do with reading wind apparently.  It's all about judging the target's shift in apparent position.  Whereas reading the wind requires weighting the data that flags provide as a function of the distance between the muzzle and flag and flag and target, reading the mirage appears to ignore this for the  most part.  And in fact, probably weights mirage down range, near the target, more than mirage up close to the shooter.  The exact opposite of wind flags.   

Brent

IP Logged

Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

Reply #17 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
"READING" is our word for it! What you are doing when you write it down is what the flag is doing (direction, velocity) you can`t tell someone "HOW" because it`s never them same day to day, hour to hour, relay to relay!!! You have to use the practice target to keep track of conditions. What all the HOW TO stories are telling is what to lloks for but can not tell you were the bullet is going to strike

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Brent; 

That is contrary to my understanding..
I think there are two DIFFERENT definitions of "mirage" going on in this discussion...
One refers to how air movement shifts the IMAGE of a target, and the other being how a short-focused spotting scope can allow a shooter to "see" the wind conditions.

The shooter I referred to uses her spotting scope to see the wind conditions, and gets better results than watching wind flags.
This is my understanding of what many Highpower competitors do also.

No doubt that the target shifting mirage effect ALSO makes significant changes, but seeing the difference between a 7mph breeze from 6 o'clock and a 10mph breeze from 8 o'clock, or being able to SEE a fishtail coming from 9 o'clock before the flags react to it is the more valuable way to "read" mirage.

As I said, I'm slowly learning how to see the wind for 100 yard smallbore prone.
I won't say that it's eliminated all my 9's.. but it's eliminated most of my 8's!

Paul F.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Paul,
How, using mirage, do you tell an 11 o'clock wind from a 7 o'clock wind or a 9 o'clock wind for that matter?   

If you are using it instead of wind flags, then does not the distance of the mirage from the target matter?  How do you judge that - especially where the wind may be doing different things at different distances.

Brent

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
If I knew those answers well enough to explain 'em, my Smallbore classification card would say "Master" not "Expert" Cheesy

However, focused properly, in the right conditions, I can "see" a change in direction... mostly I can see a stopping, then a swirling, AS the direction changes..

As for where to focus it... I pick the further 1/3 of the distance..
Am I right in doing so? Dunno.

Paul F.

IP Logged

vbull

Reply #21 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Gentelmen,
There is no better way to learn reading mirage then pairing up with an experienced shooter and listening to his/her vocal calls while you are looking thru the scope too.  It does not matter if it is high power, smallbore or LR black powder.  You can get some of it from reading what others describe but there is no substitute for range / trigger time.

Once you are "in tune" with reading mirage, it really helps your scores as the distance gets longer.  But, it is a two edged sword.  If you don't couple it with reading flags and the "feel" of the air around you it can leave you high and dry.  The U.S. BP long range team lost the team event at Bisley in 2003 because up to the 1000 yd line we had readable mirage.  Once we started the 1000 yd event, the wind picked up to 20+ and it started raining.  No more mirage, only wet flags.  The Germans were used to shooting in these conditions and took home the Gold.  A year later at Raton in a "friendly" match held after the Nationals, they did it to us again under almost the same conditions.  As a note, their best finisher in the individual championship finished 11th.  Our team was made up with the best 8 out of 100+ that competed at the nationals that year.  And we still lost.
This spring in South Africa, we won the team event by a very small margin.  The South Africans on their home court were used to a near gale wind condition at the 900 meter line and made up so many points that they almost won the team event.  The heavy wind flatlined the mirage we had been using to that point.   
Mirage is a great tool amongst many other tools to gage probable bullet impact, but I also find it easier to explain one on one as opposed to writing a how to.  Good topic.  Frank Monikowski

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
VBull, thanks for the match information that never makes the record books.  Most interesting and was enjoyable reading your post.

Sharps, your starter post put me in the search mode for information on the topic that I can glean from when next season arrives with them squigley lines looking down range at that 600yd target.  This range is the longest I have close to home here in south Jersey.

Here's some more Internet words after pounding the browser (emphasis is me) ...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

For that long shot that we have to hurry up, get into position and then are put on hold. Most people in the business have experienced this more than once. While on hold, conditions in the wind have to be monitored. A dominant condition must be determined. Dominant condition is simply that condition that prevails most of the time.

Then we look for variations in the conditions. The best way to do this and any other wind analysis is by looking at mirage through a spotting scope. 

Mirage is simply heat waves reflecting from an object. The warmer the day the more mirage you will see. Anyone who has watched a fire has noticed the distortion that develops from the heat. This distortion is what we look for in the scope. When these waves are observed, movement will be identified. The direction of that movement is the way the wind is blowing at that specific place, at that specific time. 

Mirage is best captured by focusing on the object you are reading and then turning the scope slightly out of focus. Your ability to see the distortion will improve. You're looking for movement in the heat waves themselves. Watch the waves bend, to see the affects of the wind and read the wind direction. 

The best place to read mirage is where you can. Ideally you want to be halfway between you and your target directly in the path the bullet will travel. However, ideal is not what is always available. You may have to improvise, at a different distance, look for a sand box, automobile, pavement, window sills, basically anything that is in the sunlight.

Watch the waves and observe the changes. Remember that wind is rarely constant. This brings up a critical point. When you dope the wind, you have to shoot the wind. Don't dope for a ten mile an hour wind and then wait for a lull in the breeze to shoot. Guess what? You are going to miss. You must be observant to change and change with the conditions. A marksman who stays in position for an extended period will change sight settings several times. It is not uncommon for competitive shooters, at six hundred yards, to make adjustments four or five times in a twenty minute string of fire. 

If the mirage is moving vertically, it is called boiling. This is an indication the wind is moving very slowly or is non-existent. Many people think that this is the time to deliver a shot, it isn't. This vertical distortion makes the target elongate, appearing higher than it is. This perception increases at greater distances. Most competitive shooters will not launch a round in this condition and to them there is only an X-ring at stake. I would say if competition shooters shy away from this shot it certainly warrants our consideration. 

Another thing to consider about a boiling mirage is this. If you look at your target and see right to left or left to right movement but can't really decern wind direction, turn your scope right or left until you see a boiling mirage. That will be the direction the wind is blowing.

Watching the mirage move from right to left or left to right is what the marksman is looking for when doping for windage. Generally, when we consider doping for wind, it has to do with moving the bullet from off center, to center. The slant of the mirage's waves will provide information about velocity as well as direction. The greater the slant the faster the wind. 

When you see the lines of the mirage horizontal and straight you have a really good wind, usually twenty plus miles per hour. This is an extremely poor condition to deliver a shot in. Also keep in mind that when you have this type of wind, even of lesser velocity, the target will be distorted in the direction the wind is moving. The target will be left, or right, of where you think it is.

Example

If you have a bright, sunny, day and distortion surrounds your target, watch the mirage. You will see it elongate the target. If the wind is blowing from left to right you will see the right side of the target get bigger. This area of the target will appear to swell in the direction the mirage is moving. If the swelling of the area appears to pulsate, that means the wind is intermittent. Again, these effects increase with distance. 

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #23 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
In regards to reading the wind or mirage. The U.S.Army Marksmanship Program, AMU, puts out a very good reference book on the subject. However, the best reference book that I have come across in 40+ years of shooting is "The Accurate Rifle" by Warren Page. Published in 1973 and since reprinted several times. (ISBN0-87691-102-5 Chapter 14 "Shooting through the Swimming Pool" is one of, if not the best on this subject. It is out of print but you can still find it at shows etc.

I agree with Jim B. though, the best way to learn how to read the wind/mirage is to spend time on the range watching and shooting. It's like learning to ride a bike, you gotta do it your self!. Try reading the wind with a pair of binoc. at 600yds with 6 shooters at a time in 60 sec. (Infantry Trophy Match) (Rattle Battle). 
Get the book, read it, read it again, go to the range. Read the book again!. It's not something you will learn overnight.  4227 Wink

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
I also am a  old hp shooter, 35 years +.  To read mirage , I use a a Kowa TSN-1 w/ zoom  eye piece.  Too old to buy one of the newer 821 or 822. The higher powered eye piece permits you to pick up mirage on a cooler day.  I generally focus on the target at a given yard line then back the focus up until I can see the target but more importantly see the mirage. Shooting 600 yards focus at 300 or 400 yds.I watch the edges of number board or the edges of the target frame in the outer perimeter of the spotting scope, much the same as a mirage board.  The same can be done with a rifle scope. Smallbore prone at a 100yds is good training.   The higher the amplitude on the waves, the slower the mirage ( hence slower the wind).  The smaller the amplitude the faster the mirage ( faster the wind). The true direction of the wind can be determined by rotating your spotting scope until you loose the mirage at that time your scope should be parallel to the mirage.  The velocity of the wind ( the amount of correction required ) can only be determined by experience.  Flags help at this point to determine velocity. The flag angle divided by 4 = velocity.   Still you must put your best guess on and shoot. Sometimes you are rewarded.  Watch the the boils!  A fun experiment is to set a a rifle scope on a fixed object (post or rest ) focused on a target in the morning.  Don't move it but during the day periodically, observe how the mirage displaces the target in relation to the crosshair.  

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Kurt_701 wrote on Dec 20th, 2006 at 12:06pm:
 A fun experiment is to set a a rifle scope on a fixed object (post or rest ) focused on a target in the morning.  Don't move it but during the day periodically, observe how the mirage displaces the target in relation to the crosshair.  

This works well IF both the scope and the target are in the shade, otherwise the heat of the sun will cause any metal to 'draw' (move) and thus give a false impression of the mirage. As the sun moves during the day, so will fhe metal and thus also the position of the crosshairs in relation to the target. Found this out the hard way when using a theodolite to set points on the steel Containment wall of a nuke plant, the instrument crosshairs would appear to move as much as 1"-2" at a range of ~100-200 feet over the course of the day. Of course we ended up checking the points in several differing ways to find the real deal, but it was somewhat perplexing for a day or two. Found that some of the movement was in the steel wall while there was also some movement in the instrument itself. Ended up doing most of the controls-setting-&-checking work late at night to avoid this problem. Interesting.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Jimofatl

Reply #26 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
To all,

The attached has helped me a lot.....FWIW.........JimK

IP Logged

Jimofatl

Reply #27 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Let's try it again.... Wink.......JimK

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 49 KB | Downloads )
IP Logged

Michael Rix
Participating Member

Reply #28 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 1:45am
Print Post  
Gentelmen,

If you want to put all this mirage reading wisdom into play, come to the American Creedmoor Cup (ACC) long-range match in Phoenix Arizona in March ’07. It is a NO COACHING black powder LR match at 800,900 &1000yds held before the Regional Creedmoor weekend. This is an un-sanctioned match.

This is a chance to watch the flags, feel the hair on the back of your neck, watch the mirage if it’s there and blend as needed. Then twist the sight knobs, get on the rifle and make the shot. Then hope nothing changed much. Wait for the target to come up and see how well you can “read”. This is also known as “on the job training” for most of us.

The ACC is a one-day match in the four-day shooting event.
The prize for this match will be a very large old Shooting Cup (trophy) rebuilt for the ACC
Anyone brave enough to compete with paper-patch bullets will have a chance at a high pp award. (sub-category) 

I hope to see some of you mirage readers there! 
Michael Rix          (this kind of topic is great-not enough on it)

M. Rix

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
I suspect the advantage reading wind with mirage vs wind flags is controled by match rules.   

For example in team high power.  The coach reads mirage, has a sacrifical shooter or uses a shooters sighters to hold dead center and looks at the result. Thats how he figures out MOA to allow for wind.  He is not making any complicated calucations but has real time data from observing the strike. The big thing he needs to watch mirage for after the sighters is major changes or shifts.   

In Schuetzen you are allowed personal flags but no coaching. Thats why Schetzen shooters don't read mirage in offhand matches. There is no pratical way to do it. The wind flags tell you the story quickly and can be read while in positon waiting out adverse conditons.

In bench rest It's possable to use wind flags and Mirage, I would guess that mirage to signal major shifts is pretty effective. Under the rules  bench shooters can always go to the sighter to figure out the effect wind is having on his bullet in the major conditon. Not need to make any calculations, observing the strike gives real time data.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint