Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Reading Mirages   (Read 19812 times)
Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reading Mirages  
Dec 18th, 2006 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
I’m sure that I’m not alone, and that others would like to know how to read mirages when were out on the range or on a hunt. I know that this is not something new, yet it’s an old topic and concern. 

I did search to find other postings on this topic; I found postings that had one or more of the words, yet no topic specific on Reading Mirages. I know that It’s an issue that we all have experienced.

I’ve also done my research on the internet on Reading Mirages. Not much good stuff out there. I’m sure there are books on the topic, yet trying to find one that is actually worth buying and reading is another story. That would be a story I would like to read. Any suggestions on one or two quality books. I’m not looking at creating some kind of a library on this topic. Just keeping it small.   

Whether it’s looking through your spotting scope, or with your open sights trying to read the ripples from the heat mirages. I know that there has been plenty of research in this area. Making it possible for the shooter to read the mirage and determine thinks like wind conditions, and I’m not sure what else.  I’m sure that in understanding these conditions and knowing how to read them should improve a shooters accuracy. How do you determine where on the range the mirage is occurring? Does it matter if it is occurring near your target or if it’s somewhere between you and your target? 

I’m sure we have many experts here that could lend their thoughts on Reading Mirages. I’m sure I’m not the only one that would like to know.   

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Re: Reading Mirages  
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
I sure don't know how to read mirage.  However, I have been considering doing some research on the issue so your note prompted me to start by typing these three words into google: reading mirage shooting

There are lots of hits that look pretty useful, so I'll have to read them this evening.

Some of the questions I have are - what does mirage tell you that a series of windflags can't?  

Isn't most of the mirage down at the target pretty inconsequential - just like wind flags, so shouldn't you ignore it?  

How do measure and prorate mirage at different distances in a practical fashion?  Yes, I know you can fiddle around with the focus on your spotting scope but that is time consuming when conditions are constantly changing.

Mirage from heat off my barrel is the one thing that really gives me fits in some fast-firing competitions.  I have no idea how to work with that at all.  In my opinion, that is the mirage that is really important to follow.

Looking forward to an interesting discussion.  

Brent

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Brent,

Wow, you did better then I had done. Instead of putting “Reading Mirage Shooting”, I had tried “shooting reading mirage” and “reading mirage”. I like your choice as well. I am also going to check out the same results from the search you used, thanks. 

All of what you have mentioned are the things that I am also interested in learning about. I have a friend that has done allot of research on the topic, yet he has yet to get back to me on the one book he found to be the best. Perhaps between the two of us and others that join in, we can find the information and share it. Thanks for the input. 

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Almost all of what I know about using mirage to read the wind comes from others.
I have used it in Highpower at 600 yards, but as my local range is 100/200 yds, I have only seldom had the opportunity to practice this skill at "full distance" matches.

I also have some second hand information from what I consider a "reliable source".

One of our club members (who actually lives in another state, but that's a long story), is a smallbore and 300 Meter competitor, and she done us proud a few months ago at the World Shooting Championships in Zagreb, Croatia as a member of the US Womens Team that brought home the Gold medal in one team event (either smallbore or 300 meter, I don't recall which).

This young lady is a terrific shooter!
At one point in Croatia, the US Womens team was sitting in the spectator stands with their spotting scopes and notebooks, watching the Mens teams fire the 300 meter event.   
Now, almost no European shooters use spotting scopes, since most european ranges have electronic scoring (you don't need to see your shot holes at 300 meters).
The US shooters DO, since most of US do not have such fancy electronic scoring at our ranges.

Our US team was watching the conditions through their scopes... watching the mirage caused by the breeze, by focusing their spotting scopes short of the target.
They were practicing watching wind/mirage, and seeing how it affected the shooters shots.

At one point, the mirage started to shift... radically...
THE WIND FLAGS ON THE RANGE STAYED CONSTANT for 10-15-20 seconds..
In that time, several shooters took their shots. And those shots were EXACTLY where our US womens team predicted based on the mirage!
FLAG LIE! Or rather, they do not keep up with wind changes as fast as the mirage.. they lag behind changing conditions.

The US team all looked at each other, and immediately compared the notes they were taking.  ALL of our team "saw" the change, and NONE of the firing shooters did until it was too late.

Our Team USA went on to medal, and ALL of our team members were in the top 15 IN THE WORLD in the Individual standings.  These ladies are not so much "shooters" as they are Jedi Knights...using the Force to guide their bullets.  (you're probably getting the idea that I'm very impressed with the world class level of skill they have...).

I have heard, from Highpower AND Smallbore shooters far FAR better than I am likely to ever be, the very same thing... Mirage is more accurate than flags.  It reacts faster, and you can see direction changes more accurately. 

I have also read that it is very difficult to put into words WHAT you are seeing in the mirage that clues you in... the best way to learn is to have a spotting scope and sit behind a really good shooter while HE fires, and observe the mirage and its effect.

I am only starting to get a handle on what "one ring's worth" of wind looks like in my Smallbore Prone shooting... I haven't even bothered to try yet with my Schuetzen shooting... I have a lot of "hold and squeeze" issues to sort out first.

Hope this helps!
Paul F.

IP Logged

feather
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Sharps1874,

I'm not an expert on mirage but I've seen enough of it shooting at silhouettes that I can offer some observations.

Mirage is caused by water vapor in the air and just like water, it refracts light.  I wear bifocals and when spotting for a shooter I'm able to tip my eyes upward and look through the bottom lens and see any mirage in my spotting scope because the scope lens has a long eye relief.

When mirage is moving from left to right, (it appears to be bending with the top of the mirage farther to the right than the bottom of the mirage) the target will actually be slightly to the left of where you see it.  How far to the left depends on how violently the mirage is moving.  Slight movement will have little change of the target location; hard movement can be enough to cause a miss if not compensated for with the sights.  Suffice to say that if the mirage is moving hard from left to right, hold slightly left of where you see the target.  If the mirage shifts and moves from right to left, then you will want to hold slightly right of the target.  Of course the mirage you have when zeroing your sight is also important.  If you hold dead on for one condition, you only have to hold slightly off the target when the other condition rears its ugly head.  If there was no mirage when you sighted-in, you may wind up going back and forth most of the day.

The one condition you don't want to shoot into (if possible) is a boiling mirage.  That is when the mirage appears to be steam boiling up from a pot.  It is straight upward and wavy.  Logic says that you should aim a little higher but it often doesn't work.  Many of the shooters I know refuse to take the shot in a boil.

I don't believe the distance of the mirage from the firing line is of any consequence.  You are seeing it wherever it is and its effect on your vision of the target is the same.

Brent,

One method I have used to control mirage from the barrel with iron sights is to place black masking tape along the top of my barrel.  It is easily removable yet it has a pebbled surface that tends to break up the mirage rising from the barrel.

I'm sure more knowledgeable shooters will offer additional advice and I'm curious to know what other shooters think as well.

feather

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
A very useful little book: Reading the Wind and Coaching Techniques by Jim Owens, USMC.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Darn ya all Sharps, I'm just getting a handle on wind vectors and ya have to throw in the effect of them squigley lines in my spotting scope - mirage! Wink

Here's a nice read ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I'll wait till next Summer to work on Mirage at the range, but I'll tell you a true one:  3 years ago, was testing a new recipe.  Had 5 rounds left after shooting @ 100.  Went over to the 600yd range, looked in the reference book and 153" looked close to raise the vernier.  Fired 5 quick shots with mirage so bad coudn't see past 300 in the spotting scope.

Drove down to the target ... 5 holes in the 7 ring.  Three were a clover (2.25"), the other 2 were respectively 3" to the left and 4" to the right of the clover.  A 2.5" x 7" group, I had a witness and have never been able to duplicate that group!  Angry

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Dec 18th, 2006 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
         One of the things I rarely see at a Schuetzen match is a mirage board on the target boards.  If I wanted to get serious about bench rest shooting I think I would have one made up for Etna Green.
     The board consists of a board painted with about 2 inch horizontal black and white stripes.  It makes the mirage more easily visible in you scope
     At the hunter rifle matches at the Van Dyne Sportsmen’s club every target has a mirage board next to it.  They all pay attention to the wind flags and I believe most of them also use the mirage boards.  At least I did when I was shooting hunter rifle.   

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

Sharps1874
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 6:04am
Print Post  
Paul_F,

I’m like you that in the begging learning about reading a mirage, wind and other conditions starts with the people that you shoot with. Yet later you can learn more from a few good books that concentrate on the topics, and yes from forums. 

I know how hard it has been over the years with my hunting rifles trying to shoot a nice buck when I had to have my riflescope kicked up. The mirage made it harder to judge the shot, and a bit difficult to get a good picture of the buck. However, while shooting open sights…you don’t have the advantage to see the mirage as clearly. Those Soule sights just don’t show the mirage magnified. On a hunt you don’t always have the time to look through and make the adjustment. And during competition, you don’t always have a spotter that can do that for you. 

You mentioned that when you have used it in High-power at 600 yards, you’ve experienced it, at what magnification are you using at 600 yards? 

I must say, that I’m learning more about things that I’ve taken for granted in the past, until I started shooting my Sharps with the Soule sights. If you cannot depend on the flags as you can on the mirage on real time wind directions, I guess all the wind flags can actually do is show a delayed direction and if the wind has had drastic velocity changes, that’s just a guess on my part. 

I would agree at this time, that it is very difficult to put into words what you are seeing in the mirage that clues you in... the best way to learn is to have a spotting scope and sit behind a really good shooter while the shooter fires, and observe the mirage and its effect. 

I have over 37 years of shooting rifles and shotguns, yes just over a year of shooting my Sharps 45-70, that’s a whole different thing to learn to shoot. Some carry over, yet with the low MVs, it’s a whole different ball of wax. 

feather, 

I am right there with you as not being an expert in the area, more like a beginner/novice in this area. Yet I’m will to listen, to read and to learn and improve my knowledge and skill in my shooting. I hear that a shooting events like the Quigley and the BPCR Silhouette shoots reading the mirage can go a long ways on how well you shoot. 

In most cased I would agree that a mirage is often caused by water vapor, yet that is not always true. I would agree that as it pertains to shooting on a range or out during a hunt this is true. The mirage you see while driving on asphalt is not necessarily from water. The resign in that is in the asphalt produces that mirage on a hot day. I’ve worked many years with asphalt and I know this for a fact. So road mirage in most conditions is created from something other then water. 

That was interesting on how you have been able to use your bifocals when spotting. 

A mirage can be a real pain in the butt, when it changes after you have already sighted in your rifle. That can be a real headache. Your explanation is simple enough on reading it. it now takes time to practice this before one can get good at it. 

I agree that a boiling mirage is a hard one to adjust to. I have not taken it into my shooting yet on how to adjust to it. During competition when you’re on a clock to shoot, you don’t have the luxury to wait until the boil is gone. That would be the time you take your best-calculated guess. 

You stated that you did not believe that the distance of the mirage from the firing line is of any consequence. It would make sence that a mirage is much like the wind, you have several laver of it from the ground up, and it changes per the terrain and can very between the shooter and the target depending on the ground surface and much more the farther your target. I could be completely wrong in this area, yet I don’t think that I am.  

feather,

interesting use of black masking tape to overcompensation for the mirage created from barrel heat. 

Joe,

A good friend of mine has also recommended  Reading the Wind and Coaching Techniques by Jim Owens, USMC. He said it was the one book that beat all in this area. I have it on my families suggestion list for a Christmas list or my birthday gift in January. 

Mes,

I’ve never seen of or heard of a mirage board. How far are they shooting at Etna Green? 

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 8:26am
Print Post  
I never had much sucess reading Mirage at shorter distances. The smallbore prone I shot was the "English" match which is entirely at 50 meters.  In Schuetzen at 200 yards I need my spotting scope focused on the target in order to spot so backing it off and on would be a fair amount of trouble.

Years ago when I shot Service rifle we used to focus the spotting scope on the target number board and back off until the mirage was real obvious. Of course the range had pits and pulled targets. No need to spot your shot with the scope since the hole is marked.  Also in Service rifle personal wind flags are not allowed on the range. 

I have never seen anyone use Mirage in a Schuetzen match. Not to say it would not be usefull but everyone I see relys on wind flags.

Boats

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Sharps 1874
Hunter rifle at Van Dyne is shot at 100 yards and 200 yards, mirage boards between every target.
Etna Green is shot at 200 yards for the centerfire matches and 100 yards for the rimfire only matches.  I have never seen a mirage board at Etna Green, but maybe I was not looking hard enough.
Marty

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:

In most cased I would agree that a mirage is often caused by water vapor, yet that is not always true. I would agree that as it pertains to shooting on a range or out during a hunt this is true. The mirage you see while driving on asphalt is not necessarily from water. The resign in that is in the asphalt produces that mirage on a hot day. I’ve worked many years with asphalt and I know this for a fact. So road mirage in most conditions is created from something other then water. 

Yes, it's the warm vapor gases that are rising. Could be water or could be any other vapor.

You stated that you did not believe that the distance of the mirage from the firing line is of any consequence. It would make sence that a mirage is much like the wind, you have several laver of it from the ground up, and it changes per the terrain and can very between the shooter and the target depending on the ground surface and much more the farther your target. I could be completely wrong in this area, yet I don’t think that I am.  

I agree, distance is a big factor. Just focus your lens at the varying distances and see the differences for yourself. IMO the mirage is a function of the conditions at the particular range at which at appears.

feather,

interesting use of black masking tape to overcompensation for the mirage created from barrel heat. 

First saw this trick back in the '60s, it works fairly well when the bbl really heats up. 

My opinions are worth exactly what you paid, but they are based upon many years of shooting as well as looking through surveying instruments of 20-30 power and at varying ranges and conditions. I put myself thru college working as a land and route surveyor, plus many years of on-&-off surveying at work & for friends. IMO you ain't even SEEN REAL mirage 'til you've had the instrument set up in the middle of a 500-acre bean field in the MS Delta in Aug. An even more impressive sight is looking thru the instrument along a freshly-paved asphalt road, the temps are even higher than the bean field & the image moves an unbelievable amount!
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
For me, the thing about mirage is not so much the fact that it indicates what the wind is doing, but rather the fact that it does tend to move the target to an apparent location, which at LR can cause you to completely miss when aiming at the target!  That stuff really can throw me in utter confusion... Huh

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Paul_F,

You mentioned that when you have used it in High-power at 600 yards, you’ve experienced it, at what magnification are you using at 600 yards? 

Zero.. All iron sights in Highpower (well, in most of the sport... ).

The trick in HIghpower and Smallbore Prone (iron sight events) is to have your spotting scope up close to you, and be watching the mirage while you load and start getting in position... then when you're there, take a look, make a sight correction, get your face on the rifle, and you're only <5-6 seconds from breaking the shot, when hopefully the wind condition hasn't changed from what you saw.

That's the theory anyway Cheesy

Paul F.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Here's another read about mirage.  Re: the last paragraph about shooting at bull with a spotter, I'm thinking that 300yds would be ideal to learn the art of deciphering a mirage.  One could use their spotting scope - a mirage board and still see the POI of the bullet from the bench without a spotter.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint