Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stevens 44 with double sets, questions! (Read 1924 times)
moodyholler
Oldtimer

Stevens 44 with double sets, questions!
Dec 10th, 2006 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
I have a 44 with double sets in 22lr, 30" #2 barrel, and in #45 config. Serial number on trigger tang is 180, and barrel serial number is 30,xxx. Front of the action is marled "0" and 45, with the 5 struck over the 4. It is a 6 oclock extractor. Bore is also interesting as it is bright and shiny, but rifling is tapered from the throat to about 4" from the throat and goes to full depth. Barrel had recently been recrowned when I got it. No info to be found under the forearm. Barrel has Stevens rollmark. Would you guys say this rifle was sent back and built into the config it is in now? Thanks, moodyholler
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Stevens 44 with double sets, questions!
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2006 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Hard to say James. It could be I suppose, but Stevens was usually pretty good about making sure everything matched. Even non-Stevens Win. or Ballard rifles that were worked on by Stevens were meticulously serial numbered so barrels would match numbers with existing receivers. They even marked the barrels as rebarreld, or rebored by Stevens.
Sounds like the trigger group may have been changed or barrel changed, but I'd bet it was always a DST gun, as regular 44 Stevens didn't have removable lower tangs, like the set trigger guns did. The 44 1/2 all had removable lower tangs though. That low serial number on the tang sounds typical of a 6 o'clock extractor.
I don't have any info on what Stevens might have done if they converted a regular 44 to a 45, or how it might have been marked.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint