Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic HWZ Mod 21 Martini (Read 3182 times)
martininut
Ex Member

HWZ Mod 21 Martini
Oct 31st, 2006 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
I just picked up a unique German martini made by Hermann Wierauch of Zella, Bavaria.  It has been lovingly restored and has a lovely dark charcoal case color on the receiver (didnt show up well in pics), and a 3/8 rail machined into the top of the barrel.  Ok, someone put a bogus rear sight on the rail, but that will soon be fixed:p 

Does anyone have any more info on the gunmaker?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: HWZ Mod 21 Martini
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2006 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Martininut,

I'm not much of a Martini expert, but I have some data for you.  The firm of Hermann Weirauch started in 1899, if my source is right, and started out making firearms, but their chief claim to fame is the precision air arms they made.  It looks as if they made .22 target/sporting rifles on Francotte Martini actions sometime in the pre WWII era.

You might not want to pitch that rear sight too quickly.   Subject to correction by the more knowledgable people here, I recall that there were some shooting matches in Germany that did not allow either telescope or diopter sights, only open ones.  Naturally, the keen competitor would want to slide the rear notch back and forth to achieve the best focus possible for his eyesight.

IP Logged

martininut
Ex Member

Re: HWZ Mod 21 Martini
Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 8:51am
Print Post  
I knew the rail was for scopes and a variety of iron sights, but the one that is on there is not original......I'll take a closer pic of it.  It appears to be a Williams or Novak adjustable pistol rear sight adapted to a Weaver type mount for attaching to the rail.  Now if I were able to find an original sight..........

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint