Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Miller falling block (Read 33735 times)
jtimouri
Ex Member

Miller falling block
Jan 24th, 2006 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Has anyone had any experience with the Miller falling blocks now part of Dakota?  They don't seem to have the elegant minimal external beauty of the Dakota model 10 action. But I understand they are stronger, more accurate, better triggers, better ignition, simpler (fewer parts).

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Ex Member

Re: Miller falling block
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
The Miller is considered the Cadillac/Rolls Royce of falling blocks.
It is by far the action most often used by the top competitors in the Schuetzen game.
It is reknowned as having the fastest lock time.
Extremely high precision machining and very well designed.
Only problem is if you ever spill powder into the action in the middle of a competiton you will wish you had an old 1885 highwall.
It is simply one of the best if not the best single shot falling block actions out there. 
I will never part with mine and most other owners will never part with theirs. So be prepared to wait in line to purchase a new one. Unfortunately prices seem to have escalated with the buy out by Dakota.

IP Logged

jtimouri
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
I was just at the SCI convention in Reno, and I was shown how an F type Miller action could be dissassembled and reassembled in seconds!  I was told it has 17 pieces.  Not too long ago I read an article by SDH in which he dissected a Hagn action (it is on the Hagn website) - he was impressed with what could be done with 32 or so pieces.  Apparently the actions and barrelled actions are also available, although that is not clear from the Dakota website.

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Miller receiver and lever could use some external contouring.  Not a handsome action.

IP Logged

jtimouri
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
The 'F' version is a more pleasant looking action, but I agree
the lever needs work.

IP Logged

singleshotom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 11:47am
Print Post  
I spoke to a fellow on the bench rest forum and he is from SD he claims rumors are that the "miller action" is going to make a return .......  Has anyone heard if their going to make the old miller available once again?????
sst

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
A very dear and close friend of mine Rick MacHale and a local competitor set a new bench rest record with a CPA action and a Ron Smith Barrel chambered in 32-40 at last years ISSA National event in Raton New Mexico so is the Miller really a Rolls Royce or does it ultimately come down to ones capabilities?

One cannot buy ones way to the top of the shooting list by spending money on a Rolls Royce or a Cadillac he or she needs to just get out and practice with what they have in the safe.

Is the Miller action really better than a Highwall, Ballard, Borchardt Stevens, Ruger etc. I trully think not as Rick has proved otherwise.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

singleshotom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Well I got to know Dean at Golden when his actions were well lets say cheap. Of course none of us had any money but Dean was a true gentlemen and for that Ill always have a fond memory of the Millers. As far as the action being the holy grail. Well I think all single shot actions have their place whether they be winners or not. It was a shame  what happened to the Miller action and all the work Dean and Sherry did to get it built, and how they made so many people happy. I just hate seeing anything disappear from manufacturing that was developed with the millers passion for this sport. I would like to think its not dead or forgotten.
sst

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #8 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 8:50am
Print Post  
The Miller / deHaas action was / is a good simple action. The Miller F action is an updated version of the Farrow action. The weak point for both these actions is the trigger. I remember seeing a beautiful Miller F on display when Miller was just bringing them out. When I tried the traditional push-pull double set on the action it wouldn't work none of the Millers could get it to work either that was the last time the rifle was handled at that show. I know others who have endless problems with the triggers on the Miller / deHaas action. 
Personally of the newer made actions I always thought that the Peregrine was every bit as good an action and they had excellent triggers to boot. Unfortunately they are no longer made either.
Ya pays your money Ya takes your chances.

40 Rod

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 9:48am
Print Post  
They are good actions for a modern style bench rest single shot.  Lots of matches won with them, in the hands of good shooters.

I had one on order for years number came up when Dean was still making them. By that time I was exposed to more single shot rifles set up as Schuetzens and passed on the Miller. Too box looking and the trigger did not suit me.  They are good no doubt about it but not the Action for everybody.

My eye High Wall Ballard or Stevens in that order builds a more desirable rifle.

Boats

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 9:51am
Print Post  
The rifle action refered to is a Frank deHaas action, made by Miller, the early actions were marked as D-M actions and after de Haas died they  no longer gave him credit for designing the action.  I'm sure this is useless info to most of us but  it is a de Haas action.   ledball

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Who cares about looks ( to a point), its the enternals that make an action. Locktime, easy takedown. I like the CPA but some I,ve seen are almost to glitzy with the color case hardening.
Am curious you miller owners, could these actions be compatable for A quick switch barrel? Inquiring minds want to know......Pete

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Yes, Both the DM and the Hoch can be switch rifles. I agree with Ledball about the credit. Frank Dehass spent many years reseaching ALL single shots and came up with his design.

I have a Hoch, they look a bit like the boxy DM's and for that matter the Borchardts (haven't heard anyone say they are ugly). Regardless of what a rifle looks like, you learn to love it if it's accurate. I've had it since '87 and it has a excellet trigger if kept clean and oiled (Not hard to do because they are enclosed). I'm sure Joe would agree.

But, Like J louis says, you gotta do your home work to make any gun shoot.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #13 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
The triggers give trouble in some Miller actions. Cant dump powder in um. the extractor is a poor six oclock design. It's not an attractive action.  Over the years I would have to say the Miller action has the most failures on the line at matches. Either the trigger wont work or it wont close.   

If you're careful with them and when they work they are the best for BR and OH shooting.  If I never own one it wont bother me. They have always been way over priced.   

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Need to be careful here every body's baby is pretty to it's mother Not prejudice against new ones either Peregrines are very attractive actions

Looks are important to me, not everybody is concerned.  If a boxy modern style shot better I could perhaps see it, but don't see anything about the new style actions that is an advantage over a High Wall. 

Modern scopes flat forearm bench rest stocks short stiff barrels are an advantage but the action is not that big a deal as long as it's stiff center hammer and fairly fast lock time. In fact shooting offhand like I do the Trigger is the most important component of all action parts. 

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint