Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Slug Guns (Read 23335 times)
Sharpsman
Ex Member

Slug Guns
Jan 24th, 2006 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Anyone here know anything about Slug Guns? I've researched till I'm tired but don't find squat! I've heard that there are some folks that shoot these but man....they don't put much out over the airwaves about it!!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2006 at 8:57am by »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Slug Guns
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 9:56am
Print Post  
I used to shoot one many years ago, you want NMLRA

National Muzzleloading Rifle assocation

As far as I know they are the only group shooting these rifles. At one time they were very active and I bet they still are. They are very intresting Rifles

Boats

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
The NMLRA still has a very active slug gun contingent. Ed Stutz, who watches this board, is a serious slug gun guy. Perhaps he'll respond.

Dale53

IP Logged

cam0063
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
The term slug gun has been mis-used down here I think, for - shotguns firing slugs, rifled slugs and/or with rifled barrels. Also the Paradox shotguns have been called slug guns. So am wondering what is a true "slug gun" as you guys know them?

cheers,

Cam..

IP Logged

Sharpsman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
This to me...is a SLUG GUN!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

cam0063
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the clarification. I suspected it was not a slug gun as we loosely use the term here. It looks a neat rifle and I am about to sit down with coffee and read the info.

If your plane is fueled and you have some free time, we have a big fire 12-15kms north of me. Burnt out 37000 acs of nation park, burning on a 90 km front. With 80 bulldozers on site, planes and helicopters bombing it, and now thankfully it is drizzling rain, it has just slowed. I hope so, cause it is national park on the southern front, all the way to 400 meters from my ranch. After a quiet statrt to the fire season Down Under, we are copping it now. Keep comming rain...

cheers,

Cam...

ps: Boast thanks for the message, been a little busy, will email shortly

IP Logged

hubel458
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
I am new and visiting here,and a few of us over on
AR have developed hairy singleshot slug guns or
bore rifles as they were called in old days.
Here is picture of the brass case we deveoped next
to regular 12ga plastic case, which can also be fired
inour chambers.Cartridge named 12Ga From Hell...Ed.

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Ed;
If the size of the cartridge has any bearing on recoil, I don't think that I need one Grin. Heck, that Ruger #3 in 45/70 will give me all the pain that I need Roll Eyes.

Dale53
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2006 at 7:10pm by Dale53 »  

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen:

I think Ed's cartridge is ideal for offhand shooting. Remember, offhand is scored to the leaded edge...

Glenn

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Quote:
Anyone here know anything about Slug Guns? 
Thanks!

Marlin Bassett and Ken Bresein shot/shoot slug guns, along with other folks, at Fort Ticonderoga matches. The guns I saw had ~~??3"-4" diameter barrels, a unscrewable gizmo holding and firing a PRIMER, and were shot with BIG paper patched bullets and/or round balls. The groups were amazingly small, particularly for the round balls. A big surprise. If you want equipment, get a slug gun. (and a trailer)

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 8:54am
Print Post  
There are "deer slug" firing shotguns and there are proper bore (20 through 8 bore) rifles and Paradox guns (which are shotguns having a short length of rifling at the muzzle). The big heavy, often large caliber, bencrest slug guns described by joe33050 bear no resemblence to the guns mentioned above. That said, both the large-bore "bore rifles" firing conical bullets and the benchrest slug gun using heavy conical bullets and large doses of powder appear to require real men to shoot them!

IP Logged

screwloose
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 11:21am
Print Post  
You might want to see this.
Tom

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 10:53am
Print Post  
The "slug" guns are still shot at Friendship at the west end of the range - out to 500yds.  The picture posted looks good - these rifles generally weigh in around 80 lbs.  More of the shooters on the line at Friendship are George Mitchell of scope making fame and his wife.

rimfire

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #13 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
In the early 1970s I shot with a character named Milo Taylor, who owned many fine slug rifles. These rifles were made by N. Lewis, Norman Brockway, Horace Warner, H.V. Perry etc. These were black powder rifles that were fitted with a false muzzle and shot two piece lead and alloy bullets which had been slammed into a swage. The false muzzle was usually cut for two piece paper cross patches and had a muzzle starter. Contrary to popular belief, not all of these rifles were heavy. Depending on the pitch of the rifling, some rifles shot a heavy slug, some shot a picket bullet. Most of the Civil War sniper rifles were picket rifles. I remember one of Milo’s rifles was made by Norman Brockway and had a full length Stevens telescope. Milo use to shoot in our club schuetzen matches which at that time were black powder only, and he was very hard to beat off the bench. His slug rifles shot as accurately as any modern rifle at 100 and 200 yards, only that they were a lot more work. As I remember, Milo sold most of his rifles to Oley Olsen in Grants Pass, Oregon where they still have monthly slug matches.

Bob

IP Logged

EdStutz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 10:44am
Print Post  
A Slug Gun is a muzzle loading bench gun that shoots a paper patched elongated bullet from moderate powder charges, from 100 yards out to 500 yards at Friendship Ind (home of the NMLRA), I have shot these guns for twenty years.

They come in weights (historically) from 10 pounds to 100 pounds, the average today is around 35 to 40 pounds. Almost all have false muzzles. Calibers from .36 to .68, bullet weights from 250 grs to 1750 grs. Average today are .38 to 50 cal. most shoot .45 cal of about 520grs to 540grs. 

We use paper patching mostly strips, some use chase patches usually about .003" to .005". Lubricated with oils such a sperm, bear, mineral or what have you. 

Most use a sealed ignition using modern rifle primers (some pistol primers). We shoot Blackpowder usually 2f no pyrodex (yuck!)

They will shoot inside MOA. One must become an accomplished wind reader as well as other conditions such as light and mirage, and be aware of temperature and humidity changes. 

The bullet is custom made for each rifle and can be of one or two pieces, the two piece has a base of pure lead and the nose is of an alloy. Most shoot two piece but there are those who swear by the one piece and therein lies a raging controversy Smiley I shoot two piece.

We shoot with target scopes as they did in the 19th century and is one reason Slug shooting is called an old man's game. Most of the competetors have 15 or more years experience in other venues but have developed eye problems that make open sights invisible. In other words the Slug Gun Shooting at Friendship has some really tough competetion Wink

The Guns are a lot of work to shoot and maintain and takes a very dedicated shooter to enjoy them. Most do not like to make bullets and cut patches etc and fall by the wayside.

Hope this gives a better insight to what Slug Guns are about.

Ed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint