Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Slug Guns (Read 23326 times)
Dale53
Oldtimer

Re: Slug Guns
Reply #15 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Ed;
Thanks for checking in. It is nice to hear, direct, from an active competitor in the sport in question.

Dale53

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Ed - I would like to second what Dale said - I have stood behind the lines at Friendship and watched for many years but have never shot there.  Thanks again for your input.

rimfire

IP Logged

SPG
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Ed,
I talked to Larry Romano today; he informed me that the North/South Skirmish Association has formed and sanctioned a "sniper match" for their Civil War competitions. It seems that they will allow traditional-style slug rifles to compete. He thought the distance was to be 200 yards.

Larry didn't have all the details...if I hear more I'll let you know. I think it's a great idea; I'll have to fire up the .50 D.H. Hilliard!

Gut Ziel,

Steve Garbe

IP Logged

EdStutz
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Steve,

Thanks for the info, would likr to know more.

Ed

IP Logged

AJC44MAG
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Hello,there.
Is this what you were looking for? (Try Google for "stump gun" OR "chunk gun"...you won't get the "slug gun hits".)
I still can't break 1 MOA with my 40/65 Browning BPCR...1 1/2 in. at 100 yd.s is the best I can do so far.
The "false muzzle" concept seems kind of "Pope" like,don't you think?
Art

IP Logged

AJC44MAG
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
All that and nowhere to go.
Sorry
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Art

IP Logged

rimfire
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
AJC44MAG
at Friendship the way I understand it the "Slug Gun" and "Chunk Gun" are two different classes.
The traditional "chunk gun" match like is shot at the Sgt York match in Pall Mall, TN is shot across a "chunk" at a target 60yds away a round ball and open sights must be used and the butt of the rifle must be supported by the shooters shoulder.
Whereas the "slug gun" matches at Friendship, IN allow for a conical bullet, scopes and are shot from the bench.  There are a few more differences such as the type of targets.  will not go into detail unless requested.
u have a good day now,  rimfire

IP Logged

AJC44MAG
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Hi,Rimfire.
Thanks for the clarification."Chunk Gun" or "Stump Gun" being distinct from "Slug Gun" seems correct to me,though the terms seem to overlap.
The thing they seem to have in common is the focus on accuracy...gotta love that.
Art

IP Logged

Stacy
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
I have an old H.V. Perry.  Can anyone tell me more about the maker or point me to some info?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Doug_Nelson

Reply #24 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 9:33am
Print Post  
Quote:
I have an old H.V. Perry.  Can anyone tell me more about the maker or point me to some info?

Thanks!

You should try to buy or borrow a copy of "The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle" by Ned H. Roberts.  He has a page on H. V. Perry, of which this is an excerpt:

"There are abundant records to prove, beyond all doubt or question, that Perry was an unusually skillful marksman, and that he made some of the most accurate rifles that have ever been made--not excepting the modern high velocity rifles.  He was a very particular and skillful workman and his rifles were much better finished than the majority of the rifles of those times."

Perry spent most of his career in Jamestown in western New York state, where he died in 1897.  I just vacationed in that area, and visited the local gun shops on the chance that there might be a Perry rifle lurking about.  No luck, of course.  Perry's rifles have been dispersed to collectors and shooters all over the country.

Doug

IP Logged

sluggunner
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 9:56am
Print Post  
I used to own a Perry slug rifle. A 56 caliber of around 40 pounds. I sold it to a fellow in Florida and he still shoots it. Quite well I might add. My passion is the heavy percussion target rifles and I own a few. Mostly originals. If I can't shoot them I don't want them so they all get to the range. 
Outside Friendship there are only three locations in the country that I'm aware of where they are competed with on a regular basis. They are shot at the Blue Mountain club near Shartlesville, Pa, the Canal Fulton Ramrod club here in norhtern Ohio and Grant's Pass, Oregon. I shoot at Canal Fulton and Blue Mountain and would like to do Grant's Pass sometime but that's a long way from here. If you would like specific information on these rifles or matches contact me offline.
                                                          Rich

IP Logged

Bruce P

Reply #26 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Sharpsman,

If it is avaiable at your local library you might wish to check out Ned Robert's "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle" This book is an excellent resource. Reading the history of these rifles is almost as enjoyable as to actually shooting them

Robert's  manner of writing is most entertaining. The book covers the care, loading, and development of those very accurate target rifles.  Many first hand accounts of the matches of those days are featured as well as Robert's annecdotes, and interviews with those old builders.

Bruce

IP Logged

jeffer1942
Senior Forum Member
ASSRA Target Sales

Reply #27 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Ed:

Great primer about slug guns.  I shot with Ed for many years at Friendship as well and still have several slug guns.  The smallest caliber I have is .32 which shoots a 200 gr. slug.  The rifle weigh only about 15 lbs and is super accurate out to 300 yds or so.  Much as the ASSRA, the slug gun shooters at Friendship (NMLRA) are like an extended family with many of the usual colorful characters. Marlin Bassett is a legend at Friendship for his shooting as well as for his innovative slug guns.  Ed Stutz is a virtual encyclopedia of knowledge and a fierce competitor.  Goerge Mitchell occasionally fires the SS ILLINOIS in competition.  The rifle weigs 96 lgs and shoots, I believe, a 1000 gr. slug over lots of black powder.  The report is not unlike a "slaute cannon" and it is wonderfully accurate to 500 yds.  Slug guns require lots of TLC and total concentration to be successful.  It is also a good idea to have a strong back!...

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
About Ned Roberts, he's a good writer, however you will notice thru his books that EVERY gunsmith he is speaking about is "The most skillful, made the best, most accurate rifle, etc, etc." I guess Mr Roberts had no formal critial thinking, as it's impossable for every gunsmith to build the most accurate, best rifle, etc, etc. You rather get tired of him praising to the ceiling every Gunsmith you ever heard of, and many that you have not.

IP Logged

KenK
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Perhaps Robert's was not speaking literally.  For example, a "London Best", applies to a grade of gun, not necessarily THE very best gun in London.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint