Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rifle Recipe (Read 17370 times)
38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Rifle Recipe
Reply #15 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
I'm working now with a Ruger No. 3 and a Peabody Martini with the secondary sear, but for several years I shot a Martini 12/15 in .357 Max with breechseated bullets.  I think the small action would work just as well with .32 Miller, or the cartridge I'm trying with the Ruger, .30 caliber 32-20.  Send a message with your email and I'll get back at you with photos.   

I breechseat both Martini rifles by means of a lug on  the side of the action and  a plate with a linked lever pushing a plugged case.

David 
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Glenn,

These are  rare - but they can be found.  However, usually even the seller isn't really aware of this.  And David Kaiser (38-cal) has also already answered with what he is using, so....  I also do believe that for breechseating, a 12/15 action would be amply suffcient in the case of the .32 Miller, and the action itself would have no problems whatsoever to cope with the pressure.
Then again, there is what is commonly called "rocking horse sh*t", but if you're lucky...
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

And an action picture:

This is a Francotte action with a set-trigger, the 'setting' trigger reversed.  Used by a Swiss 'smith to make up a rifle in - of all calibers - 38-40.  But he also used a nice piece of timber...

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Martini Belgian,
Those are both gorgeous Martinis! I bet they shoot as good as they look too!

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 5:21am
Print Post  
Marlinguy, 
as usual, it is above all a 'nut behind' issue...  But at least I look good on the range!

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Martini Belgian

I used to shoot smallbore with a Sydney Australia Club. Because of Aussie Firearms regulations they had to store club rifles disabled.

They kept the rimfire  BSA Martinis in a safe and the trigger groups in a seperate safe. What I thought was strange was they did not match up the triggers with any particular gun. Just put one in and shot a match.

This alway gave me a little negative feel about the rifles and actions. But I guess it all depends on the specific. Yours have real nice looking triggers.

Boats

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Boats,

Maybe I should give the innards a try in either the .30-20 or .22 Hornet BSA's...  Also CF small-action Martini's.  I do know, however, that on the Martini-Enfield I can interchange breechblocks without any problem whatsoever (I have 2, so...).
Who knows, maybe the Francotte will fit in the BSA receiver.  Mind you, externally, there are subtle difference though, with the Francotte receiver being a more complex shape.  And those Francotte innards - really a joy to look at!  I wish modern rifles were alse finished the same way...
Also, unset the trigger is quite nice already.  And set, well - it shoots like a decent set trigger.  Mind you, it isn't a 4-lever one, but more than nice enough as such.
Only the rifle is a bit of a mistery - schuetzen buttplate, but quite slim wood - and very lightweight indeed, with a long and skinny barrel.  Open sights too, non-windage adjustable, with a step-type elevator.  Maybe it used to be a hunting rifle?  I do have to size the bullets to .394, as a standard .40 is too big.  But the little rifle is worth the effort.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
It's a real nice set up and has the advantage of not being just like all the others on the firing line.

Boats

IP Logged

Ed_Tilford
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Cyle can be reached through Paulette Kok at 605-347-4686 ext. 301.  I am the guy who has waited over two years for a Model F.  I shot one (Jim Luke's) at a match in Wis.  Only took ten shots because I had just had my knee replaced and it was difficult to focus.  Shot a 242.

Ed Tilford

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Boats,
exactly my opinion - I actually do most (if not all) of my shooting with Martini's, with a preference for the special ones - like the little rifle.  Put another way, my limited funds don't allow me to expand the collecting  - but every rifle I purchase, will be shot - like this Swinburn african hunting rifle. (Yes, the Swinburn is a Martini variant, so it belongs in the collection - or so I keep telling myself Grin)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint