Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rifle Recipe (Read 17347 times)
joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Rifle Recipe
Oct 6th, 2005 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
The recipe for a winning single shot bench gun is
DeHaas Miller action
32 Miller Short cartridge
Ron Smith gain twist barrel(will call him)
Weaver T36 scope
Jones bullet mold (anybody got an address?)
AA#9 = H108 powder

I have no response for 2 e-mails to Cyle Miller
CPA can/will make the rifle with a Ron Smith barrel if I supply it.
Here's the question:
Which of these ingredients is critical? Will a CPA action with the rest of the ingredients make a competitive = has-a-chance-to-win gun? 
I think I may be too old to wait for a Miller action, or even to get a response. If the CPA action won't make a competitive gun, I guess I'll keep with my Martini 30/30.
How about some advice from you good bench shooters?
Thanks;
joe b.

IP Logged

coolhd
Ex Member

Re: Rifle Recipe
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Joe, Cyle Miller is now working as head of R&D with Dakota Arms.  I understand Dakota is going to start making the Miller action this coming year.  I have a friend who ordered a (Miller)Farrow action almost two years ago from Dakota.  He is due to get it this coming spring.  I don't know about the Miller, but the base price for a complete Farrow Rifle is $6,000.  I am quoting my friend who is having one built.

Of course, the CPA is more readily available.  As to whether one is more accurate than the other, I think it depends on the nut behind the wheel. One reason the Miller has such a great reputation is the shooters who use them are generally excellent shots. Also, when Dean and Cyle were making the Miller rifles, they did a fine job of chambering and throating for the .32 Miller Short.  So, the rifles are always accurate.

If I were going to build a CPA bench rifle, I would attach a thru bolt in the buttstock for rigidity.  With that I think the rifle is very competitive.  I watched Paul Sass, a Wisconsin shooter, post a 250 with a .32-40 CPA a few years ago at the ISSA Schuetzenfest in Raton.  I don't know what barrel he used.   

I have several Ron Smith barrels on rifles and they all shoot well. One, in particular, is a real barn burner in .32 MIller Short.

Coolhd

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
joe b., have no experience with the DeHaas Miller action. Have two CPA rifle's and one is a dedicated 32/40 bench rest rifle, it weighs 15 1/4 lbs W/out the scope. Has the #6 part octagon/round 26 inch gain twist barrel, {not made by Smith} with 1 turn in twenty four at breech to one turn in 12 at the muzzle, breech seat the Eagan MX32-2 mould bullet, they weigh 205gr out of 1 in 25 alloy lubed. It will shoot consistent 20 round ¾” groups at 100yds, I am surely not the greatest BR shooter. In CBA score competition at 100yds usually shoot 192+ and 5 to 6 X’s, never fair very well at 200yds as I’m a very poor wind judge. If I were to do it over again, only things I would change would be get a Smith barrel have it chambered for the 32 Miller Short, then get a mould cut for the rifles chamber. 

The question of scopes has been answered for me just last weekend. While at the range one of the club members was shooting a Sako BR rifle in 6ppc and had a very large scope on it, he let me look through it at his 100yd target. Conditions were the target in the deep shade with bright sunny sky, had been using my B&L 36x Target scope, which is one of the best target type scopes I’ve ever owned. After looking through his Leupold 35x 30mm BenchRest Competition Scope, wanted to clean the lenses on the B&L, the Leupold was that much brighter and clearer. Have to sell off some stuff and order one the 45x Leupold BR scopes, Bruno has them for a touch over $900 if you pay cash.

All the best in your quest for the winning combination,
MIKE-T
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2005 at 8:39pm by MIKE-T »  

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 6:11am
Print Post  
Or you could just put another barrel on that Martini, and be done with it...  Fast locktime, solid - and takes a lot less time than 2 years to get the rifle completed!

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 7:06am
Print Post  
coolhd nailed it - "the nut behind the wheel" or in other words, the nut behind the butt. I'm relatively new in the single shot game, but in no other shooting discipline have I seen winning scores gauranteed by using certain (or more expensive) equipment. A top shooter is such because of a number of things, not the least of which is plain hard work, and will still beat the rest of us even with somewhat lesser equipment. JMHO!

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 7:56am
Print Post  
I agree with your recipe except If you don't have it you can't shoot it.  CPA will turn out a rifle with little delay.  It's possable to go on forever about the merits of one action vs another.  But very few actions are avalable for building a rifle in a reasonable time.

To my mind the total set up is what makes it work.  Barrel Sights Stock Action Rest Bullet Loads everything.  Then it takes a good shooter to win.

A CPA action particulary if speed locked would not set you back at all.

Boats

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 9:33am
Print Post  
I gotta go with MartiniBelgian here, IMO the Martini will always be more accurate than the Stevens. Always.

Now, whether that extra accuracy can actually be utilized by the shooter, well, that's another can of worms entirely. As others have stated, it depends upon a lot of other things including how well the shooter LIKES his rifle and how well it fits him, especially in offhand shooting.

So my approach has always been to acquire the actions I like, and let the others go to someone else. For me this means no large forward-trigger-type Martinis (too ugly & awkward to manipulate) and no Stevens (too poorly finished & flimsy factory buttstock attachment). I don't mean to insult anyone's favorite rifle, that's JMOFWIW. Also FWIW I own three of the world's ugliest rifles, 1878 Sharps Borchardts, but the Borchardt action's other qualitites outweigh its ugliness IMO.

So my suggestion would be to borrow & try as many different rifles as possible, and eventually acquire the type you like the best. Or do like some of my friends, become a member of the Gun-of-the-Month Club and own them all until you figure it out!
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
The Estimable Mr. Steele:

I have to take exception with one of your comments. Fact of the matter is that a man who thinks that the '78 Sharps is the world's ugliest action obviously has not spent any quality time with a Peabody.

As for the Stevens,  the weak link is the stock fastening system, but this can be fixed.  While I agree that the inherent limitations of the hammer rifle leave it behind the striker fired Martini, I really don't see any reason that the Stevens design has less accuracy potential than any of its peers. 

Howsomever, I am casting about for the best action for a very heavy barreled bench rifle and had not got around to the Martini. The action bears looking at. What particular action might you recommend for such an enterprise? A Borchardt is also in consideration but that would require a set trigger design. The idea of a Martini intrigues me...

What about the mechanics of Breech Seating in a Martini?

Glenn

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Glen,

I have to respectfully disagree with your disagreement.  The Borchardt and the Peabody both don't even come close to the Hopkins and Allen large frame, and it's both inaccurate and weak to boot.   

Did you get my message on the ballard project?

dave

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Dave:

I did get your email and I will get back with you shortly.

Speaking of UGLY, I sure would like to build a rifle on a a Phoenix action...  Is there any out there?

Glenn

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Hey you can call the Borchardt, Peabody, and H&A large frame all ugly, but none of them is as ugly as my Comblain! Grin
At least you guys have regular looking triggers! Wink

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
I have owned a Phoenix, and it was mighty ugly. As is the H&A, Peabody et al.

But IMO I gotta go with the Comblain, it's ugly enough to make a freight train take a dirt road. AAMOF in the words of my friend Bubba, the Comblain is so ugly it'd knock a buzzard off a gutwagon!

As Fred G. Sanford might have said to Aunt Esther, "I bow to your superior ugliness!"
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #12 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Glen
Look at the Hall action. It has everything that anyone would want for a single shot bench rifle. A little pricy but extreamly well made.

40 Rod

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 10:08am
Print Post  
HST,
In order to breechseat a Martini action, one would need a stud on the outside of the action - or use a plugged case or something similar.  Just make sure it doesn't interfere with the scope (feasible, the action has little drop, so the scope can use higher rings).
The military martini has a direct trigger, which can be made into a quite respectable trigger, but there are also some 2-lever triggers around.   
If you want to build on a small action, a BSA 12/15 would be best - a large action?  Maybe a .303 Martini-Enfield, as the firing pin is already bushed.  I converted one of these to a  BPCR:
Originally a 45-70, it received a new buttstock and was rechambered to 500/450 #2 Musket.

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Mr. Belgian:

Thanks for the information. I reckon if I went the Martini route I would be looking a the small action. 

Thanks for the link to the two lever trigger!  Mr. Martini was a pretty clever guy. I still have to wade throught the text and figure out just how the trigger restes itself, but it I can see that the design would make for a fine trigger. 

While I am hardly an authority on martinis, I have never seen an action with such a trigger. I was not even aware they were made. 

Thanks! 

Glenn

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint