Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Swiss Butt Plates? (Read 13570 times)
plumloco

Swiss Butt Plates?
Oct 2nd, 2005 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Hello all,
   I'm a proud owner of a new (to Me!) Martini MKII .22
It is in great condition. I want to try to make this a Schuetzen style rifle to pratice and compete some. Is it also possible to shoot bench with this type of rifle?? Is there such thing as an convertable? Kind of a dual purpose rifle. I'm looking for a source for Swiss butts!!!     ( Plates Gentlemen!!)
Which is better Single or Double hook?  Thanks

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Swiss Butt Plates?
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2005 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
If you're not going to restock it, you might want to get the late style convertible buttplates, as used by competitive shooters. These are aluminum, and are adjustable for height, and angle. The hook is a single, and easily detached for benchrest use. 
I think you might try Brownells for this item. My Win. 52 has one of these plates, and it's very comfortable, and easy to use.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rafter-7
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2005 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
hey MM

YOU BEEN HOLDING OUT ON ME BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!  is that a freeland ball and plate?

nice 52

rafter-7

go with the under arm hook so you can shoot it from the bench as well as offhand.. just my opinion

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Nope rafter7, it's a Canjar ball and it fits into the mag well of the 52. It's adjustable for height and angle. This was my latest find at a local gun show! A whopping $20! I've got the original 52 stock also, but I like the custom better! Grin

IP Logged

plumloco

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys!
  That's a real nice 52!!! I like the butt plate on that rifle.
I couldn't find it on the Brownell's sight. Is there a name of the company on it. I'll still keep trying to find it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  Jesse

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 12:41am
Print Post  
I'll take it apart and see if I can find a maker. Or call a friend who shoots competitively, and see where he get's his.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
PlumLoco, from the photo this appears to be a Al Freeland adjustable butt plate. It is adjustable for length of pull, height of comb and angle of the butt plate. The single hook is probably the best for combination shooting offhand and off the benchor prone/position shooting. Over my shooting life I have had BSAMK!!, BSAMK!!!, BSA MK !V, as well as several others. I still have my BSA MK III. I have had is well over 45 years and it still shoots well. I still have a large supply of Win-Western Mk III ammo which it shoots well. 
Getting back to the butt plate, you can find this ocassionaly on e-Bay and at gun shows. They are not cheep. The Freeland #61 (As I recall) as also a good setup. Don't settel for a cheepie and wait untill you find what you want. I have a adjustable butt plate with a folding hook but I really think you would like the Freeland best. The MK II is a fine rifle and I'm sure you will be happy with it. Good Luck.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Thanks 4227! It is a Freeland. I had to remove it from the gun to find the marking. It wasn't on either plate, but under the adjustable base.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 7:07am
Print Post  
A good source of used adjustable butt plates is Neal Johnsons shop in Colorado springs.  He is the Anschutz factory service and gunsmith for the Olympic team. His on line catalog has a big selection of used free rifle stuff on consignment. I sold a Anschutz adjustable plate through him a couple of years ago.

I think it's listed under Gunsmithing inc.   

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 7:14am
Print Post  
Marlinguy

Any chance we could get some pics of that Canjar ball ?  detail of how it goes in and adjust etc. Ball shape too.

For some unknown reason I have been making a couple of new palm rest for my CPA.  I like CPA's Scoyen the best but have 3 or 4 different ones now. Hand shaped, turned etc. Firend of mine put a Billiard ball on one of my bases. Looks good but is pretty small for a heavy rifle.

In Brophys Springfield book there are a couple of 03's set up as free rifles. One has the palm rest attached through the magazine like your Canjar.

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 7:30am
Print Post  
Plum

Here is the link. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links); He does have a used hook plate. But it's 200 bucks, That is exactly like the one I sold through him, I had won it in a match. It's the latest Anschutz and probably sells for a lot more new.

For your rifle the most common plate and one that would work well is an older Anschutz. I bet Neil has some that he does not list on his web-site.   

My mid 60-s vintage Anschutz 54 has a plate that is leingth of pull and height adjustable.  It has 2 interchangable butts one with a hook for offhand and another flat for prone or bench. It will not cant which is why the modern guys replace them for the newer version.

I would phone him

Boats

IP Logged

rafter-7
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 7:44am
Print Post  

you say you got a lot of mark III ammo could you spare a brick? i am also a rimfire shooter 

welcome to ASSRA 

4227 would that be like IMR 4227 i try and change loads over to it because i like how clean it burns its wonderful in a 38-55 but not as accurate as 3031 but close

rafter-7

IP Logged

plumloco

Reply #12 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Thanks Again!

I always get real good info from y'all. I did find another source while surfing. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
He has a real nice looking sinlge hook. Now all I have to get is a nice schutzen style stock. Do any of you have access to or know of someone that has a nice pattern for the MkII?
I emailed the guy for the Martini Gallery. But he couldn't help.
Doesn't seem to be that many choices? Again!! Thanks to all for the help you're giving me!!  Jesse

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 11:10am
Print Post  

CPA makes a freeland style stock for the Martini International.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Marlinguy

Any chance we could get some pics of that Canjar ball ?  detail of how it goes in and adjust etc. Ball shape too.

For some unknown reason I have been making a couple of new palm rest for my CPA.  I like CPA's Scoyen the best but have 3 or 4 different ones now. Hand shaped, turned etc. Firend of mine put a Billiard ball on one of my bases. Looks good but is pretty small for a heavy rifle.

In Brophys Springfield book there are a couple of 03's set up as free rifles. One has the palm rest attached through the magazine like your Canjar.

Boats

Boats,
The Canjar goes into the mag well, just like a magazine would, or like my single shot adapter does. If you look at the small lever near the ball, that is the lock for screwing the height up and down. The small knob behind the staff at the base of the magazine adapter, turns in or out to tilt the ball's angle. Not much adjustment there. It's all the way in to get the angle you see, and all the way out for straight up. It wont go back farther than straight down. It has a pivot point in the center to allow this angled movement. 
Truly a really neat little palm rest, and very solid too. Doesn't have a bit of play in it.
Vall

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #15 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 10:23pm
Print Post  

you say you got a lot of mark III ammo could you spare a brick? i am also a rimfire shooter   

welcome to ASSRA   

4227 would that be like IMR 4227 i try and change loads over to it because i like how clean it burns its wonderful in a 38-55 but not as accurate as 3031 but close 
rafter-7    \Well I don't know if I want to get rid of any MK III or not but if you want to post your e-mail address I can contact you about the subject.
As far as :4227" goes, yes that would be IMR 4227 or the "Old Schuetzen" can etc. I have tried many powders over the yeards and have found that the "Old Timers" pretty well knew that they were doing and as long as we stick to trying to equal or pass what they were doing and in the manner they did it, IMR 4227 is the way to go. The "new" actions, stocking, methods etc. then all bets are off. It's TRADITION!!
As far as the .38-55 etc. goes, at the end of a long day shooting you will be whipped with the larger caliber unless your built like "Hugs & Kisses"! I shot a .38 M.L. Schuetzen because we discovered that any caliber below .38 presented too many other problems with fouling etc. You seldom see any M.L. schuetzens below .38 (>380) cal. 
In what pwrt of the country are you located?
Regards, 4227

IP Logged

rafter-7
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 9:08pm
Print Post  

i have been fighting a blizzard up here in north central north dakota we had a bout 20 inches of snow and it came with 50 mph. wind it just shut us down lost power what a mess!!! i left the house at 7:00 and just got home now it took that long just to feed my cows what a war!

as far as the ammo if you can spare a brick that would be great if you cant i understand i find it hard to part with good "lots" that shoot strait i have never had a chance to buy mark III so i was just courious. but like i said if you want to keep it to shoot thats fine i was just asking

cdness@srt.com

rafter-7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint