Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Info needed on Sharps Creedmoor (Read 3131 times)
dnovo1
Ex Member

Info needed on Sharps Creedmoor
Sep 22nd, 2005 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Wondering if anyone could provide information on a marking found on a very early Sharps Creedmoor (not a No.1 Long Range.)  Located a very early Harford production Creedmoor, with all of the 'right' characteristics of this very early model.  It has a name cut into the wood on the left side of the stock in what looks to be the way the factory may have marked a factory shooter's rifle or a demo rifle, in block letters, "E.G. Hull."

I recall seeing some reference to that name in the literature or on the Net.  A factory demo shooter?  A marksman?  Anyone with any information, I would appreciate a note posted here and to me at dnovo@ix.netcom.com    Thanks.  Dave

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Re: Info needed on Sharps Creedmoor
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
The current custodian of the Sharps factory records is:

Richard J. Labowskie, M.D.
4613 Osage Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19143
1-215-748-1376

For a fee he’ll look up the serial number & provide what ever information is available in the original factory records.

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
The last Sharps 'factory letter' that I got from the good doctor cost $75, but that was a couple of years ago & his price may have gone up. On a personal note, I sure do miss Dr. Moore, the prior owner of the records, he was indeed a fine man.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
The current fee is 150.00 I guess the good doctor is pricing the letters like his medical fees.

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 10:46am
Print Post  
From personal experience, I have found that the current 'good doctor' is not nearly as pleasant as the previous one. AAMOF I personally found him to be kinda churlish and much harder to deal with.

And I just THOUGHT the Colt letters were high-priced! Please be advised that the Winchester, Marlin & L.C.Smith 'factory letters' from the Cody Museum are much more reasonably priced, around $60 at my last check (probably $80 now), and they are sent out as UN-creased pages on a very attractive nicely-reproduced factory letterhead, suitable for framing. My last Sharps letter from Dr Labowskie came in a standard legal-size envelope complete with creases and was printed on a much cheaper and different-looking letterhead. Plus, it had a most egregious error in it (1878 model shown as an 1874) and had to be replaced, definitely not A Good Sign.

The earlier Sharps letters I have from Dr Moore (Philadelphia, MS) are much more attractive, similar in appearance to the Cody letters, and also included some reproductions of various Sharps documents such as stock certificates etc. Sometimes the previous good doctor even included a personal note or memo to me, it added a very nice personal touch and was much appreciated.

There appears to me to be a lotta difference between the doctor's manners displayed at present in Philadelphia, PA and the ones displayed previously in Philadelphia, MS. Not to mention the price!
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint