Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) mid-range vs. longrange sight??? (Read 6052 times)
bluesteel45
Ex Member

mid-range vs. longrange sight???
Sep 15th, 2005 at 12:42am
Print Post  
ok here's a question maybe one of you can assist me on. what kind of distance can i expect to be able to compete at with a midrange steve baldwin or parts unknown 'mega soule' sight, when mated to an original 1885 winchester highwall. i've been told that the winchester nets you some yardage over some other actions due to less drop, but to what extent?? 600yds/?700yds?? the caliber is .45-70, the twist is 1:18 and operating velocities are 1100 to 1150 fps m.v.. i know the midrange suffices  for all my sillouette needs, but perhaps not my longrange ones. i'm guessing that 1000 yard performance is out of the question with the midrange sight on a highwall but some of the guys say .45-70 is 'marginal' for the longrange stuff anyway. what's the concensus of the readers????.....as usual, all comments are welcome....blue

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Re: mid-range vs. longrange sight???
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 7:36am
Print Post  
OK, quick & dirty here..........

Short range = ~ up to 40 rods or 220 yds

Mid-Range = ~ up to 600-700 yds

Long Range = ~ up to 1100-1200 yds

These distances are descriptiive of the sights' limited capacities as well as the ranges of the matches. The 45-70 cartridge with BP is perfectly adequate for Long Range shooting in a practical sense, but certain uninformed governing bodies (NRA I believe) have made rules against it so I don't suggest using it. My own wall is chambered for the 45-90, for instance, although I love the 45-70 and the longest local range is a private one with only 500 yds. But I just wanted to make sure I would be legal if ever the chance for a local Long Range match presented itself.

Yeah the higher Long Range sight is somewhat of a pain to manage, but the shorter Mid-Range sight just isn't guaranteed to be tall enough IMO.

But I've never fired my wall at a full 1000 yds so who knows? YMMV.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
hi ho bs 45,

one factor to consider is bbl length, a 25" bbl will require a much shorter site than a 34". and with a shorter site you don't have to stick your neck up like a stork. much more comfortable.

don't worry about the short bbl and velocity. it will do the job nicely.

..ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

choken
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
I shot (not well) a Baldwin Midrange on a 30" barrel Highwall at last years Creedmore at Raton. You have to have your load chronographed to meet Whittington Center's "power factor." My load was doing 1240 fps with a 540 grain Paul Jones Creedmore. The midrange sight won't work on a Sharps at 1000 yards but will on a highwall. On of my shooting partners placed VERY high in this years long range at Raton with a 45-70, although it seems that everyone agrees that a 45-90 is better suited. I'm currently using a Baldwin Schutzen on a 32" 45-70 highwall and it works great out to the 600 yard midrange targets ( as well as silhouette rams).

IP Logged

iowa
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Bluesteel45:  I routinely shoot both a 1885 Browning and a 74 Shiloh in 45-70 to 1000 yds.  Regardless of the rifle, brand of sight, thickness of the barrel, centerline bore front sight height, tang drop, barrel length, etc. etc.  for a normal 30" barrel  BPCR   Here is a simple answer:   In checking my records, it appears that from a 200 yd zero , you will need somewhere around  an additional 145 to 151.5 MOA to reach 1000 yds.  If you are only going to shoot to say 800 yds. subtract about 42-43 MOA from the 1000 numbers.  If you only have a 100 yd zero add an additional 12 MOA.  This should tell you if you have enough travel on the mid range sight to reach 1000yds and be in the ball park. You of course would need additional movement upward to accomodate any headwind problems.   As to your load of 1100-1140.fps  This load should reach 800 ok but will be challenged to reach 1000 yds with consistancey.  I would suggest a minimum 75 gr. Swiss 1 1/2 compressed powder load for serious 1000yd work.   If I can be of any furthr help let me know.  Best regards steve witt, Waterloo, Ia.

IP Logged

bluesteel45
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
mucho gracias steve. i will work up a stiffer load to attain the greater distance. my barrel length is 32 inches, this should be no problem. i've heard that swiss powder dosen't react well to compression....i take it no problem with it compressed in your rifle????....i'll keep you posted as to my results....thanks....blue

IP Logged

vbull
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
BS45,
I shot a LR match 2 weeks ago at Quantico, VA using a hiwall.  It was a 45-90 with a midrange Hoke sight.  Jones 545 bullet at 1366 fps. I had enough elevation with about 20 moa to spare.  A midrange sight will run out of staff using a 45-70 with the lower velocity.  I started out with a Sharps LRE in 45-70 about 15 years ago and had to purchase a LR staff for it when my midrange sight ran out of staff at 900 yds.  My LR rifles all have 34" barrels.  Frank M.

IP Logged

bluesteel45
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2005 at 8:12am
Print Post  
thanks frank. i'm going to bump my velocitys to something over 1200 fps with a leeth "gordon' 550 gr. bullet. hopefully the added velocity along with the highwall configuration will net me enough to get to the "grand' distance. if not, my hepburn 40-65 that's under construction will get this sight and i'll purchase the tall staffed longrange sight. we'll se....many thanks....blue

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2005 at 8:36am
Print Post  
BS45,

I'm not sure where this idea of not compressing Swiss comes from. Altho I don't use it in fixed ammo I have found when breech seating I have to compress it at least .100 for best accuracy. A firend has had good luck compressing Swiss in fixed ammo as high as .300.

Like any other BP you have to play with the compression to see what works the best for your load in your rifle.

PETE

IP Logged

bluesteel45
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 18th, 2005 at 10:48am
Print Post  
pete, two of my bpcr 'cronies' were playing with 1 1/2 swiss and 2f swiss and were not terribly sucessful where compression was concerned. this was in a number of 40-65 win., 45-70's, and 2 45-90's. don't get me wrong, they LOVE swiss powder. i'm certainly going to try  compression on my 45-70 with my swiss 1/12, it's just what i've personally witnessed from their experiences has been swiss and compression haven't exactly gone hand in hand thus far.,guess this is what makes this game so much fun!!..thanks......blue

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 18th, 2005 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
With an appropriate bullet, it is not all that hard to get 75grs of Swiss in a 45-70 cases with a moderate amount of compression - just use WW brass, and a borerider having most of the bullet out of the case.  I load a 526gr bullet (actual weight) with 74grs 1 1/2Fg without any problems.  I can get more in there if I want to...
I would suggest getting the LR sight, BTW - you can always use it for midrange events, but the reverse could sometimes be a problem...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint