Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic ASSRA/ISSA target (Read 4588 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA/ISSA target
Sep 14th, 2005 at 8:49am
Print Post  
I was looking at the ISSA scores vs the Etna Green scores.Direct comparison on Hudson scores is not possable due to ISSA requiring Any and Iron sights in the 100 shots scored offhand. But still it's intresting to see what the top shooters post.

Anyone know if the targets are the same ?  I think there is some difference in how much is red but the actual scoring rings are identical.

Also how about the rules.  All shots count vs holes in the targer. and last how about outside the rings on the paper how does ISSA count that ?

Thanks

Boats

IP Logged

coolhd
Ex Member

Re: ASSRA/ISSA target
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Boats, the ISSA targets have the same amount of red as the ASSRA targets--out to the 22 ring for scopes and the 18 ring for irons.  The scoring rings are identical.

Shots on the target are counted, not the number of shots fired.  In scoring, the ISSA has a jig that shows the scoring rings out to the edge of the paper.  So, if the shot is just outside the 15 ring, it scores a 14 and then continues down.

One unique feature of the ISSA target is it has a red line very near the edge of the paper all around.  If the shot is a nipper and does not touch the red line, it does not count as a shot.

The whole target paper is almost the same size as the ASSRA target.

Don't know if you've seen the WSU target, but it is easier to see with iron sights since the red is a deep red and the target is big--25 x 25--with the white being real white, not a buff color.  This contrast helps in SEEING the target.  Steve Garbe and Co. did a great job designing it.  The only downside is when there is a lot of mirage, it is difficult to see the shots in the red.

Coolhd

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
coolhd;
          This new ISSA target is interesting,  I propose we move that red line into the 22 ring--now we can all shoot 2300's and won't have to score any bad shots.  leadball

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
So I guess we can say ASSRA and ISSA scores are comparable.  There is no target or scoring method advantage to consider.

Only real difference I can see is ISSA shoots 50 iron and 50 scope.  While ASSRA's Hudson match is 100 shots any sight.

The top 5 100 shot offhand scores recently are very close either club which got me to wondering about the rules and what the effect was.

Boats

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
The main difference is in scoring shots out side of the 15 ring any shot on paper in the ASSRA is a 10 and the paper is smaller. The ISSA scores go out to 8 I think if you nip a corner but shots need to be touching the red border to count the border is a great help as it can be hard to see a shot the just touches the paper. All of this means little as long as you stay in the 15 ring. The top shooters have no problem unless a shot goes bad. When looking at the top scores I don't think there is much difference.
Personaly I prefer the ASSRA rule as it is easy to score with out having an overlay. For a while the ISSA had the outer rings printed lightly on the targets but that was a few years ago.
fallingblock

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
The ISSA target WAS accepted a  by ASSRA a couple years ago--I suspect this latest target will make their scores not acceptable for record targets. Just my opinion---leadball

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Boats:
<<<<<Only real difference I can see is ISSA shoots 50 iron and 50 scope.  While ASSRA's Hudson match is 100 shots any sight>>>

There is another very important difference.  The ASSRA Hudson match can be shot over several relays of even several days while the ISSA 50 shots IS and 50 shots AS are shot in a specified relay.  i.e. if the wind blows tuff luck whereas if the wind blows during a Hudson match just sit it out till the next relay or next day
ms

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Martin,

That is a signifigant difference.  Thanks tto all for the input

Boats

IP Logged