Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fixed ammo for Schuetzen (Read 5200 times)
PETE
Ex Member

Fixed ammo for Schuetzen
Sep 11th, 2005 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Froggie,

I'll start a new thread on this as I'd sure be interested in finding a fixed ammo load that will work for the upcoming WSU Election Day Match. Breech seating a 100 rounds makes me tired just thinking about it.

I've been trying, without a whole lot of success, to come up with fixed ammo rounds in my .25/20SS, .28/30, and .32/40. As it stands right now making the best of a bad situation, I'll proably use the .32/40.

Altho the .32/40 was specially throated for breech seating it will shoot fixed ammo better than the other two which have standard throats.

Possibly I'm expecting more accuracy than I have a right to expect, since all guns will shoot very well if breech seated.

I've tried 4227, AA#9, & 4759, plus at least two bullets, and two primers in each gun without a lot of success.

The .32, with fixed ammo, will give me about 1 1/4", on average, at 100 yds., and the other two are lucky to keep them inside 1 1/2" at the same distance with their best groups. I'd like to come up with something that will consistently shoot at least an 1" at 100 yds. as this will far exceed my offhand capabilities.

Am I expecting to much? I'm sure open to ideas on what others have come up with.

PETE

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Re: Fixed ammo for Schuetzen
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Pete, I have a Winchester 38-55 original and not rethroated or anything. When I first got it I did not have any bullets that would breech seat. So I worked up a load using the 375248 bullet. it was cast from an early Ideal Mold and is nose pour. I shot it fixed and found that it needed to be crimped. BAH!  But thats what it needed. And it was a really fine shooter with that load. 18 grs 4759, CCI #300, 25/1 Alloy, 50/50 Bee's Wax and Yellow Petroladum (Yellow Vaseline) Now that Bullet and load shot loose or breech seated does not work at all. So I guess the message is. For fixed ammo you may want to try crimping the load. I hated doing that as it was hard on the cases and after about 50 or more firings the shells started to generate small splits right at the mouth from being worked so much. It was canadian brass as 38-55 brass was out of production at that time. Got so frustrated I put the rifle away for many years until I was able to come up with a good breech seating bullet. HTH.
Regards, FITZ.

FITZ

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
As I mentioned on the other thread, I have a Ruger #1 that has been rebarreled to .32-40 by Douglas.  When I purchased it, the previous owner had included some loads he apparently made for it, supposedly composed of a Bud Welch bullet of 190 gr in front of a load of 14 gr of 4227 in original Winchester Western brass and using BR-2 primers.  Like a Dummy, I started blasting away with it to "see what the rifle would do." When I saw how well they shot, I was smart enough to keep the last couple to measure and break down for exact weights of powder, etc. so I SHOULD be able to exactly duplicate everything but the alloy and the lube.  One of my projects for the Winter.

My first high-wall restoration was also in .32-40 with an original Winchester barrel.  Since I didn't have a breech seater for it at the time and since some of the events in which I was shooting demanded that fixed ammo must be used. (Ram Bash, etc.)  Where smokeless is allowed I got pretty good results with the original 165 gr bullet design (Ideal 319247) and with a couple of the 185 to 200 grainers as well using about 13.6 gr or a little more of 4759 in whatever brass (mostly W-W Duke) I could find, lubing with Frog Guano and lighting it off with W-W LR primers.

As with all reloading ventures, YMMV, but these are both fairly conservative loads and should be safe in any rifle made for this caliber and in good condition. I would NOT suggest nor trust either of these loads in the Stevens 44 or low-wall Winchester rifles that sometimes show up in this chambering.

Yours for accurate fixed ammo,
the Green Frog

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Pete,

For Fixed ammo cast bullet standards have a look at CBA match results.  Long runs of 1 moa are pretty rare and would put most rifles in the winners circle.  When I say long runs they generaly shoot 4 - 5 shot groups.   

That includes pure bench rifles and shooters with a whole lot of experence.  To develop 1 moa fixed ammo cast bullet loads in several barrels & calibers with the varrous brass and loading dies required would take a very long time.

If you are getting under1 1/2 moa the curve to improve would be pretty steep.

If I was going to work on improving the under 1 1/2 moa figure I think I would spend all my time on neck pull and the way the bullets are seated.  Once the load shoots to that level powder and primer varables are not key.

Boats

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 9:25am
Print Post  
For fixed schuetzen ammo I would start by talking to Marlin Basset. He has done extenseve work with bench rest rifles and fixed ammo. You could save yourself a lot of work.

40 Rod

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Fitz,

YES! I should have remembered that about crimping for fixed ammo. I will try that.

I've found with the smaller calibers (under .30) that crimping is mandatory but hadn't thought this would be necessary for the .38/55, and maybe even the .32/40. The over .40 calibers don't seem to need this. What's your take on why?

Froggie,

One of these days I'm gonna find a gun that likes 4759 better than 4227 or AA#9. Several shooters on here swear by it but I haven't been able to get good results with it.

Boats,

I'm fairly familiar with CBA shooting having done it for a coupla years. Gave it up because I like Schuetzen better.

I'll admit that finding a consistent 1 MOA fixed ammo load might be more than I can do. But, it just sticks in my mind that if the guns I'm trying to get this level of accuracy out of will all shoot under 1 MOA then I ought to be able to at least get fixed ammo to come reasonably close. As I mentioned above, and you hint at, maybe I'm expecting to much.

Actually I'm not trying to get several guns to shoot fixed ammo well. Just trying to find one in the arsenal that will do so.  Angry

40_Rod,

I thought Marlin was on here? If so I wish he'd pipe up cuz I'd sure be listening.

PETE

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
When I started shooting high-walls fairly heavily several years ago I began using 4759 in them almost exclusively because I read in Charlie and Waynes' book that the least likely powder to ring a barrel was 4759.  I initially was able to get good results with both my original barrel on my sporter and the Green Mtn bbl on my take-down schuetzen using this powder both in fixed and breech seated loads.  My dear friend leadball became convinced that I would never be able to beat him as long as I used 4759 so he even went so far as to give me several pounds of it  Grin .  While 4759 is not the be-all and end-all of powders, I am still very happy with it in fixed rounds of modest velocity like I use in my sporter.  The jury is still out on the breech seating in the schuetzen rifle, but now that the Ruger is getting shot in offhand I use 4759 for breech and 4227 for fixed.  Works for me, but YMMV!   8)

Froggie

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Froggie,

Well, I didn't have much luck using 4759 in fixed ammo in my .28/30 last week. Of course none of the powders I mentioned earlier in this thread worked very well either.

But now that I've tried FITZ's idea of crimping I might have to go back and give it a try. Started out where I thought I should be with MV but the smallest charge turned out to be just a little high, so will have to go lower tomorrow. Really amazing how much you have to reduce the charge in order to get the same MV as an uncrimped load.

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint