Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 1885 hi wall in 22 short (Read 24231 times)
JDSteele
Ex Member

Re: 1885 hi wall in 22 short
Reply #15 - Sep 17th, 2005 at 11:54am
Print Post  
I too have frequently encountered additional markings under the bbls of my walls. The additional bbl size mark appears to be fairly common, as is the caliber marking or a variation thereof. The under-forearm barrel size marking on most of mine is much larger than the mark in front of the forearm, and in one case the under-forearm caliber marking is in italics while the top marking is in block characters. Go figure.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

K38
Participating Member

Reply #16 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
I would try and find a good supply of .22 short ammo while you can, if you want to shoot it.  The ISSF has changed Rapid Fire Pistol to .22 Long Rifle which removes most of the reason RWS, Eley, and Lapua had to make short ammo.  It may become very thin on the ground.

Dwight

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
There are still many other disciplines that use the .22 short, so I'm sure it will continue to prosper awhile. Bullseye match, 2400 matches, and many indoor smallbore matches still use .22 short guns.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rafter-7
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jan 1st, 2006 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Shocked

that explains why ammo houses are either out,low but all are not back ordering match short ammo 

thanks for the heads up and i will get it where i can

rafter-7

IP Logged

rafter-7
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jan 1st, 2006 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
MM,

just picked up a 71 win short tang bolt peep and byron and i shot it today along with the 94 32-20 both shot exceptional and the 93 38-55 carbine did very well also.

but the guns we focased on today were the .338 700 rem. we got em going 3220 with 200 gr. ballistic tips  [we each have one] it was a good day sore shoulder but good day!

rafter-7

IP Logged

K38
Participating Member

Reply #20 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 12:43am
Print Post  
The hardware store here in Del Rio, TX has some Eley Rapid Fire match that has been on the shelves for a long time.  It may be too old (the lube may have gone bad)  One of the main reasons stated by the ISSF for changing Rapid Fire was the scarce ammo supply, as It was the only Olympic disipline using the short. The RF pistols and ammo had a reputation for being very finicky. I do not know of any bullseye, or other matches using the short, almost all .22 bullseye guns are autoloaders chambered in .22 LR.  There are of course exceptions, but most just use the .22 LR and .45 ACP.  I will check the Eley and Lapua sites to see whats, what.

Yours,

Dwight
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2006 at 1:00am by K38 »  

IP Logged

K38
Participating Member

Reply #21 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 12:58am
Print Post  
OK I did a Check of the following:

Lapua - No shorts
Eley - still catalogs RF Match and says they have a small 
         quantity on hand.

RWS - Has plain shorts and RF match cataloged

Fiocchi - Has RF match cataloged

Federal - Nothing

I would still expect supplys to dry up as the rule change took effect last summer as far as I know.  Just think of all the expensive RF target pistols that cannot be converted economically just gathering dust.

Dwight

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);  has Eley RF Match at 5.99 for 50, in stock.  I'd jump on it.
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2006 at 1:05am by K38 »  

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #22 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
100 years ago gallery shooting was a staple of schuetzen offhand shooting. Every eastern city had indoor gallery ranges where shooters could keep in practice regardless of the weather. I have a copy of “Shooting and Fishing” from Thursday March 2nd 1906 that lists various indoor gallery matches in the in the New York area. These were 50 ft. offhand matches that drew the best shooters from all over the eastern U.S. and all the competitor’s rifles were caliber 22 short. This is a small portion of an article on the “ Zettler Rifle Club Open Tournament” 

“Arthur Hubalek, finding himself in good form entered the match on Tuesday. His opening string counted 249, and he followed with a 250 for his third score. At the end of 50 shots he had an aggregate of 1236, an average of over 247. It was not his original intention to complete his 100 shots in one day, but after making four consecutive 74s on the ring target, he decided to “get it over with” as he expressed it, and his last 50 shots, finishing with a 248, counted 1232, giving him a grand total of 2468. This score equaling the record for the Zettler contests, made last year by L.P. Ittel, brought forth many congratulations. Mr. Hubalek of Brooklyn, N.Y., the winner of the 100 shot match, is a comparative new recruit to the ranks of the experts. The barrel of Mr. Hubalek’s rifle was made some years ago by the J. Stevens Arms and Tool Co. The barrel is 30 inches in length, is fitted to a Ballard action and mounted with a Stevens 6 power crosshair telescope, he uses Peters 22 short cartridges. As Mr. Hubalek adopts the palm rest, he believes in a heavy rifle, and a bar of metal attached to the underside of the barrel brings the total weight of the arm up to sixteen pounds.”

Other equipment listed;

Dr. W.G. Hudson of New York, a Zischang-Ballard rifle with a Stevens 5 power aperture telescope, and U.M.C. 22 short cartridges.

F.C. Ross of Springfield Mass., a Stevens rifle with a 3 power Stevens crosshair telescope, and Peters 22 short cartridges.

H.D. Muller of New York, a Winchester-Zettler rifle, Stevens 5 power pin-head telescope, and Peters 22 short cartridges.

Bob   

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #23 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
I’ve been doing some homework and have discovered that I made a mistake, the old gallery matches were shot at 75 ft., not 50 ft., which makes sense because that’s 25 yards. At that time, the Peters rimfire ammo was black powder, the UMC ammo was semi-smokeless and both were corrosive primed, which is probably why so few of these 22 short gallery rifles have survived. Most would have eventually rusted out and been relined, Arthur Hubalek later became renowned for his super-accurate 22 LR match liners, or they would have been morphed into center fire schuetzens or varmit rifles.

Bob

IP Logged

K38
Participating Member

Reply #24 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
I imagine that the .22 LR cartridge does not need to be as big as it is for it's powder charge.  The short case is probably more than big enough.

Dwight

IP Logged

rafter-7
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
UPDATE,

I went to the range last night at 50' this gun was unbelievable.
I started by shooting about 15 rounds to lay down lube powder and lead in the bore the first group was PMC shorts and 3 were in one hole and the fourth bullet was a half moon on the side. RWS 25 shot about 1/2 inch and the Aguila shorts were about an inch.; all from the bench
SO i stood up and did some offhand and i kept 3 out of 4 bullets in the black on two bulls shot 

We worked cattle all day yesterday and i was tried before i went so the gun and its weight tired me out fast. I did learn one thing that a palm ball on this gun would be a great option prefurrably somthing that would go all the way down to the floor!   Roll Eyes   Tongue

Thanks for the heads up on the ammo thing i was not aware of the Oylimpics thing and pistol shooters but i feel i have all he short ammo  i need.

rafter-7

IP Logged

Bert_H.

Reply #26 - Jan 18th, 2006 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Hello Rafter,

That is indeed a very nice First Model Schuetzen (and rare)! Congrats on owning it 8).

I read through all of the previous posts talking about the various barrel marks... and most especially the barrel size stamp. It seems that there is some confusion or misunderstanding concerning where the barrel size number stamp is located, so I though that I would take this opportunity to clarify it for those that are interested. 

The number "3" stamped right next to the punch mark (index mark) next to the frame is not the barrel size (weight), but is the frame size (according to John Campbell).  I too believe that to be the case.  The barrel size stamp in most cases is stamped between the flat-spring tenon and the forestock tenon, and in its normal location just forward of the forestock tip.  The caliber stamp (which should appear on all barrels), the "VP" (in an oval, again on all barrels), and other inspector marks are in most cases stamped under the flat-spring.  In some cases, the steel manufacturer's mark is also stamped, but not commonly.  On barrels that have been back to the factory, an order number is sometimes stamped under the forestock, and the intials "J.P.P." may also be present.  On the special order rifles (Special Sporting, Special Single Shot, and Schuetzens) assembly numbers can be found on any one of the lowere three barrel flats (the left lower barrel flat seeming to be the predominant).  I own an early made Special Sporting Rifle in 40-90 Ballard with such a marking (Ser. 7397).

The study of the Winchester Model 1885 has been my passion for a very long time, and I have been conducting dedicated research for several years now.

Regards,
Bert Hartman

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single Shot!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint