Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 1885 hi wall in 22 short (Read 24235 times)
rafter-7
Ex Member

1885 hi wall in 22 short
Sep 10th, 2005 at 12:57am
Print Post  
i thought i would share pics of my new purchase with you guys
it cost me 2 86s and a little to boot  Embarrassed but i have never been more satisfied in one trade in my life 
it will be handed down to my children
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
the gun letters to a tea.
and in a 22 short how cool is that!!!!

rafter-7

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Re: 1885 hi wall in 22 short
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 9:04am
Print Post  
The rest of us can only dream...........
Congratulations, Joe

IP Logged

rafter-7
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 10:52am
Print Post  
well,
i have owned those 86s for many years so i am not into this gun too bad i have had many offers to sell but i wanted to trade for somthing like this 
When ever i pull out a lever gun a screaming single shot comes home the only problem i have is that there is only two levers left and thier both marlins one 93 38-55 and a 94 25-20 both case frames and i only take them out to oil them so i think this will end my fun......maybe!

rafter-7

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Ever seen an amphibian DROOL?
Congratulations on a super find, you have every reason to be proud and your children do too!

With unrestrained envy,
the Green Frog

IP Logged

rafter-7
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
here is what the factory letter states;
september 25 1973

The winchester single shot serial 779xx  as a rifle, 22s,octagon barrel set trigger.schuetzen checked stock, pistol grip. cheekpiece. Scheutzen plate, no rear seat. Midrange and wind guage sights.12 1/2" pull. Shipped April 24, 1897, no other information listed.

Sincerely,
T.E. Hall
Curator

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Argh!!! 
I've short circuited my keyboard Chad! What a beauty! Gotta remember my kleenex when I look at neat guns!

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 1:15am
Print Post  
Beautiful!  I hope you have good luck with .22 Short ammo.  Is that a "Winchester Special Sporting" stock pattern?

Richard

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
BAH! HUMBUG!!!! What a beauty! How that Rifle missed me all these years I don't know. Congradulations on a really fine find. FITZ.

FITZ

IP Logged

rafter-7
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
i was looking at my pics and realized all i showded you was the left side 

so here is the right side

as for the special sporting stock i dont know but i can tell you this  with the 12 1/2 pull it was built for a guy a lot smaller than me but i will find a way to make it work!!!
It is very uncomfortable from the bench 
the gun weighs about 11 pounds 30" full octogon #3 barrel makes her kinda nose heavy but again i will deal with it
the checkering is even so sharp it actually bites in your hands you really can get a grip on this gun

rafter-7    The guy advertised it as 98% blue 96% case

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Rafter, that stock appears to me to be an all original and correct full Schuetzen stock. The only thing that could be considered out of line is the fact that it has no Palm rest. And seeing as how all the Schuetzens were special order anyhow it may have been that whoever ordered it did not want a Palm Rest. The #3 barrel was correct for Schuetzens. If you ordered one from Winchester and did not specify Barrel size you would get a #3 barrel. As far as bench shooting? You are absolutely correct in finding it difficult to shoot from rest. That stock and Butthook was designed for Offhand shooting and finding a bench arraingment that works will be difficult if not impossible. As far as .22 short ammo, it is my understanding that the best .22 Short ammo available is from Europe. Well it sure is a beauty, even from the right hand side. Damm!!!!!!!! Regards, FITZ.

FITZ

IP Logged

rafter-7
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 1:47am
Print Post  
i took the forearm off the day it was shipped to me to check for rebarrel marks or any proof marks from the factory to prove tampering there was nothing 
The only thing i found that was puzzling is the #3 barrel mark was just infront of the forarm like always and there was a extra #3 on the same plain about 1/4 inch in front of the reciever under the forarm it was the factory stamp but i have not come across that before but i have never got to inspect a 30" barrel before either
my father looked at the gun and he thinks its unfired but i think it has been not much though... the bore is perfect

rafter-7 
BTW i have found that older winnies like RWS ammo at least that is where i start R25 in this case. byron and i shoot a lot of rimfire between us we got close to 50,000 rounds so i am sure we will find somthing that works   
  My neighbor said it best "the gun aint no damn good with out any ammo

chad  rafter-7
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2005 at 1:55am by »  

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Rafter, I have seen a number of original Winchester barrels with the barrel size also marked just ahead of the reciever. Not all mind you but quite a few. In fact as I think about it I realize that I would just take it for granted and not be concerned if it had one stamping or two. FITZ.

FITZ

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 8:06am
Print Post  
Rafter,

FITZ is right. In fact I'm playing with a Win. H.W. in .32/40 right now that has the caliber marked in small letters on the top and larger letters on the bottom of the barrel. When I see these duplicate markings I just assume someone at the factory had a slow day.  Grin

PETE

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
My High Wall with #3 half octagon 30" barrel, has the barrel weight marked in front of the receiver under the forearm, and no weight marking in the usual spot.

IP Logged

rafter-7
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 17th, 2005 at 8:28am
Print Post  
last few days i have been tring to wrap up small grain harvest and last night at dark it hailed marbles for about 5 minutes  Angry at daylight i am going to asses the damage but on the bright side i am down to 70 acres af flax some beans and corn

i felt good about the second mark on my barrel and i shot it the other day all you here is the click of the hammer the slap of the bullet and a foot it is twice as quite over my pellet gun we did not shoot for groups there was no time

rafter-7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint