Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Of 100 shot matches, re-entry's, etc. (Read 16673 times)
dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Of 100 shot matches, re-entry's, etc.
Sep 8th, 2005 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
By way of qualification I have never shot a 100 shot Hudson match in a single day. (I've shot no more than 15 Hudsons in total) Usually shoot say 60 shots one morning and finish the next. Shot or sat out relays  relative to conditions.

But I've come to feel that the Hudson match should be fired as it was in the early days. When you fire that 100 shots in a day you may experience changes in conditions. You compensate. You will experience changes in energy level. So did those before us. These various factors are challenging to your mental and physical condition. But that's what a sport is all about! We can't make everything easy and attainable to all persons. (Does any body still get to the hunting grounds on foot or horseback or do they use an ATV?). Those of us who shot in the early Coors matches and the continuation of same via the ISSA, shoot a 50 shot offhand match in 2.5 hours. Personally, I do not want any advantage over what was done in Golden Era of Schuetzen. 

Re-entry targets. Wonderful, have to have them. There are so
many who enjoy shooting them and they are such a fine source of revenue. And for folks with ailments or are simply getting old, yours truly included, the re-entry matches are paramount. I recall a re-entry across-the-log muzzleloading shoot some years ago near Richmond, VA. Only six targets but you could reenter. Heard a chap say, "I may be outshot at first but I will not be outfinanced"!

Dick

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Re: Of 100 shot matches, re-entry's, etc.
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Forgot to mention that I'm sure Jim Feren shot a couple or all of his 2300+ Hudson scores in a single day.

Dick

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Dick:
     I think they should make the Hudson a reentry match so that I would have something to shoot for each day.   
mes

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Nothing wrong with that idea at all. I'm guessing that in certain parts of the country circa 1900 you could shoot that 100 shot match every weekend. I'll probably try to shoot the Hays/Hudson challenge match out of the Wyoming Schuetzen Union on back to back days. Maybe more if my $20.00 bills don't run out.

Dick

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Dick

I came to Schuetzen from Silouette were you have 2.5 minutes for 5 shots. I found it plenty of time to get the shots off.  If you read the books, "The Russian Book or "Tubbs "Rifle" Etc they all say your hold and sight picture is the best in the first few seconds. Tubb in particular gets his shot off right away or puts it down and re-mounts. Several years ago I was forced by working overseas to shoot Small bore prone for competition, Members of the club were very good shooters some ex Australian Olympic team. They all said once the sight picture is aquired get the shot off.  We had 20 minutes for 20 shots but all the good shooters finished in half that time

Of course you have to load a Schuetzen in a more leinghy process but I still think it's an advantage to work your way through it with some dispatch.  I find 2 10 shot targets in a 45 minute relay is easy to do. 3 targets pushes me and perhaps is a disavantage.  I could use extra time after a break and in particular if eating lunch should wait some time before getting back to it.  I get around that by drinking water and eating something simple like peanuts all day long.

You do see people taking much longer. One competitor I see  that shoots very good scores and takes two days for the Hudson spends his off time resting quietly and not interacting much with anyone, Focusing.  Thats a big advantage but Shooting offhand then going to bench rest, discussing politics, or some other thing then going back to the offhand targets is a clear disavantage. The other thing is if you are truily fatigued from shooting its best to rest before resumeing the match.

About the only disavantage to single day I can see if if you get a real big conditon change. Nice weather one day and terrible the next. That is surely a disadvantage but you can almost always tell from Forecast if thats going to be the case.

Boats

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Boats, you are right about getting the shots off quickly. As you hold blood pressure, heart rate, etc. are increasing. Schuetzen does have an elaborate loading procedure that simply requires a bit more time. I think 100 shots in 7 hours of shooting time is plenty. By the way, the airguners, pistol and offhand rifle, have 145 minutes for sighters and 60 record shots.

Dick

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Well tomorrow we that is the Eau Claire Rifle Club Schuetzen Committee will be doing our Fall 100 shot match. It generaly takes about 3 to 4 hours. If we feel up to it we may shoot a few bench matches if someone is up to it.
fallingblock

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Boats & Dick,

Personally when shooting an offhand CF match I use fixed ammo. Altho I haven't been able to find such a load as accurate as breech seating they are far more accurate than I can hold. Doing such I can get in two targets in our 30 minute relays.

PETE

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 10:42am
Print Post  
The idea of using fixed ammo for schuetzen is not all that wild assuming that the chamber/throat is appropriate for it.  I am wondering what charge weight works well and "gently" for people who shoot 4227 in a barrel modern steel for .32-40.  Somewhere on this or the old Shooter's.com board we had a thread going about just the topic of fixed rounds for schuetzen.  Is there any interest in revisiting the topic on a new thread (besides my own interest?  Roll Eyes )

Froggie

PS  My Ruger #1 offhand rifle has a Douglas barrel in .32-40 and seems to like a 4227 load behind a 195gr Welch bullet, so the question is not merely academic!   Grin

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Azure Amphibian,
I am in the first stages of getting an original high wall .32-40 to shoot to a credible degree of accuracy with fixed ammunition.  I would welcome such a discussion.

Richard

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 8:39am
Print Post  
Pete,

In my 38/55 so far fixed is just as good as breech seated ammo.  I used to shoot it BPCS and spent a lot of time developing loads and brass.  And so far I don't have the right Breech seated bullet.

In my 32/40 barrel the reverse is true. Breech seated loads are much better probably because that's about all I have ever done with it.  I did load it fixed some time ago for the ASSRA 100 yard postal and results were pretty ordanary. I also have a very good fixed Squib load for indoors.

The real reason I breech seat is it's so much easier than all the brass manuplation required to produce good loads with cast bullets.  Every case is a different problem and potential variable.  And neck pull is a major issue, too much and you deform the bullet too little and ignition is inconsistent.

It's usefull to have some fixed loads for matches that are short duration or range, Gallery squibs are a lot of fun too. Indoors with a dark firing line you can't breech seat.  For short range pratice not carrying all the stuff normaly required for breech seating and using fixed is not a bad idea either.

For a long time I resisted it, But for the general run of Schuetzen matches I think Breech is the way go.

Boats

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Here are the results for the Eau Claire Fall 100 shot from Saturday. It was a bit hot and humid with lots of wind.
We are looking into holding a spring and fall 100 shot next year.

Laurie Gapko          2007-7
Frank Zika        1743-2
Bill Flanagan              1706-2
Mike McGinnley 1666
Stan Krogman        1282

All American Match

Laurie Gapko         1009-4
Bill Flanagan               870-1
Frank Zika                  858-1
Mike McGinnley       840
Stan Krogman         681

fallingblock

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Boats,

I agree with what you say 100%. The only reason I use fixed ammo for offhand shooting is there is enuf fatique in shooting a 100 rd. match without having to deal with doing all the work necessary for breech seating added on top. Fixed ammo also allows you to catch a condition and maybe get a coupla shots off before things change. At our range this only happens during the first relay, and sometimes the second. Then the wind picks up and swirls around the berms on the left side, and you spend the rest of the day holding off or changing sights for every shot. So mostly fixed ammo is more a convenience that anything else.

For short... 10 shot offhand matches..... I'll more than likely breech seat, and of course do that for all bench matches. So far I've never seen a gun that didn't shoot better when breech seated.

PETE

P.S. Fallinblock..... What's that All American match consist of. From the scores it doesn't look easy.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Pete,

You do have a point. Couple of weeks ago I speculated Steve Garbes excelent Hudson score fired with a .22 lr full range was helped by the ablity to get them off quickly.

I guess there are several ways to approach it.

I was looking over the weekend at the Etna Green and ISSA results.  While ISSA is not exactly like the Hudson match it is 100 shots offhand. Either match the top shooters were high 2100's  That's a long way from Dr Hudsons 2301 or Hays irorn sight 2211.

We have a lot to re-learn

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Boats,

Amen! Plus I think Steve has mentioned that using the .22 for the Hudson Challenge cuts down the fatique quite a bit over the length of the match. This is something many don't figure on. If you're not used to it a 12# gun gets pretty heavy, and then you add on top of that the fatique created from shooting a 100 rounds of the over .30 caliber CF's and most people will be wore out at the end, and their scores will show it. A .22 is definitely the way to go if you're looking for the highest score possible. But, I like to compare my scores with what they shot in the old days, and most shot .32 calibers back then.

Yeah! I hate reading those offhand scores at the various matches. I figure for the Election Day Match if I can put up a score in the 1800 range I'll consider it a job well done on my part. Don't figure I'll scare anybody with that either.

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint