Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Of 100 shot matches, re-entry's, etc. (Read 16659 times)
coolhd
Ex Member

Re: Of 100 shot matches, re-entry's, etc.
Reply #15 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Boats, your comparison of the scores shot at the ISSA match this year and those shot by Hudson in 1903 need some qualification.  Weather.  By all accounts Dr. Hudson shot his 2301 on a dead calm day in November back East.  In contrast, the ISSA match conditions were some of the trickiest ever encountered at Raton, NM.  There were quartering winds from 10 to 2 o'clock with sudden fluctuations in velocity.  As a result, all the offhand scores were low.

Age.  Dr. Hudson, Harry Pope, and most of the active shooters in 1903 were young men.  Dr. Hudson was in his thirties.  Today the average age of the schuetzen shooter is 60+, and that may be conservative.  Most of today's shooters sit at the bench to shoot.  The amount of offhand shooting is miniscule in comparison.  In Hudson's day, offhand shooting was the norm.

Can anyone equal the Hudson record today? I don't know of anyone actively shooting our game who can do it.  Jim Feren is the best offhand shot I have ever seen, but his specialty is offhand scope.  And he has beat Hudson's record with a scope--I believe it was 2341.  Irons sights are a different matter.  Since most of our matches are any sight, shooters naturally choose a scope.

Remember, Hudson only shot a 2301 once.  He never equaled or exceeded that score again. 

coolhd

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Coolhand, as the late Duchess of Windsor put it "you can never be too rich, too young, or too thin". 

I think it's time to start talking about that "hot" topic of around 1989, the use of shooting jackets in our sport. I understand that several shooters at Etta Green are using them. The WSU has two classes, traditional and modern, the latter permits jackets, gloves, boots, whatever. I would think that the designation "J" should appear afters scores shoot with a jacket. Hey, I might be trying a jacket myself and promise to notify all in that event.

Dick

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #17 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 8:11am
Print Post  
Shooting Jackets I'm agin um. Shooting all tied up like a turkey on thanksgiving morning isn't my idea of fun. if it were up to me i'd outlaw um.

40 Rod

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 8:26am
Print Post  
coolhd,

I certainly agree with your assessment of the Hudson Match.

Just a coupla corrections. The Election Day Match that Hudson set his record was held on Oct. 1st, 1903. I've never read any account of what the weather was like but more than likely they shot out of a shooting house so would be protected from the wind/weather.

On the use of scopes then...... Altho Hudson did shoot his record with iron sights, scopes were allowed in that match. Several shooters showed up with them, including Pope, and after much arguing a vote was taken and they were allowed. There was quite a bit of hard feelings about this vote, so much so that the expected match winner, along with a few others, left without firing a shot.

PETE

IP Logged

coolhd
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Pete, thanks for correcting the date of Hudson's record score.  I have shot the Hudson match in October in Virginia.  The conditions were generally ideal.  Compare that to the windy,wide open spaces out West, and there isn't any way even an excellent shooter can shoot to his potential.

I don't know if shooting out of a buillding is a benefit or not.  I like to feel the wind on my body, besides watching the wind flags.  If the wind is bad, the shooting house would certainly serve to protect the shooter from being physically moved by the conditions.

My post last night was really not clear.  Been working too many hours of late.  I was trying to make the distinction between iron and scope sight shooting.  Iron sights were the primary sight system in 1903.  Scopes were just coming on.  So, the shooters of that day had been raised, so to speak, shooting iron sights.  I think that is why they were better at it.  Perhaps if a person were to concentrate on iron sight shooting, they could finally equal those fine scores shot 100 years ago.

I would like to read the account of the Hudson Match.  Where did you find your material?  Thanks.

coolhd

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
coolhd,

Again, I agree with you.

For myself I find it takes about two weeks of shooting almost every day with iron sights to get the "hang" of them again every Spring. Scopes of course have there own problems but, for me seem to be easier to get up to speed with.

Never having shot out of a shooting house I can't give an opinion on if it would be easier than shooting in the open or not. Like you I like to feel the air move around me as I feel that air movement closest to you has the greatest effect on the bullets flight. But I'll bet, like me, you've shot in conditions when you wished you had some protection from the wind.  Grin

As I mentioned in my last message scopes were still a controversial issue in 1903, but from what I read they had been in match use for a few years prior. Always with a lot of pro and con. Sometimes they were allowed, sometimes not. The problem as seen by it's detractors was that it gave an unfair advantage. The supporters felt that, like today, a scope allowed the older shooters to keep on shooting after their eyesight started to fail.

You might have trouble finding the source I used for the Hudson match. It was completely covered in the Nov. 12, 1903 issue of Shooting & Fishing. A very complete writeup with every shot fired by every competitor. There must have been quite a bit of interest in the gun and load Hudson used as a picture and description are in the Nov. 26 issue. If I recall right I posted the latter here a while back.

If you, or anyone else that's interested, can't obtain the article I can type it in as a message on here. It's kind of long, but very interesting. I can also enter in the individual shooters, where from, guns, loads, and total score, but think I'll pass on entering each individual shot. Probably gonna take two or three messages as it is!

One of the things that intriqued me, until I just re-read the article, was why was it called the Election Day match when it was shot in Oct. Apparently, from it's enception ten years previous to 1903, the match was held on Nov. 3rd at Armbruster's Greenville shooting Park in Jersey City. Due to a misunderstanding in 1902 the match was taken over by the Zettler Rifle Club in 1903.

PETE

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Pete, please post as much as you can regarding that famous match. Thanks.

Dick

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Dick

Here is my 2 cents worth on the points.

Shooting houses. They are a definite advantage offhand. The wind blows your body around and has more effect on your hold than it does to your bullet. The house is worth right many points on some days. 

Shooting coats. They are no advantage. I know Highpower shooters use them but  Highpower shooters often are slaves to fashion. You do need a coat for prone and I think they just leave them on without considering the effect. Offhand it's better to be able to steer the rifle and not inhibited by the coat.

Tubb says in his book they are not helpfull for good scores Offhand. He prefers the hip rest bone supported positon we use in Schuetzen. UIT rules don't allow a strapped in coat, 10 Meter Airgun shooters can't use them either. The coat they wear helps with it's sticky surfaces but we have hook butt plates that do the same thing.  By the rules no Silouette shooters use them and NRA rules Silouette has some of the best offhand shooters that exist today. 

Scopes, The advantage depends on your individual eyes but look at the ISSA Scope vs Iron scores just posted. about a 2 percent disavantage to Irons. Thats 50 points in the Hudson match for a top level shooter.

In the end the individual match rules don't make a whole lot of difference as long as you are shooting under the same ones as the rest of the competitors. It's a good idea to be somwhat flexable and able to adapt to local or match rules, You will always find some local quick to adapt to.

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
Dick,

Ok. Will see what I can come up with. I'll get to it tomorrow as it's a little late right now and I need my beauty sleep!

Boats,

Might have to disagree with some of what you've said. I normally don't wear a shooting coat for outdoor shooting but did one year for our indoor Schuetzen League. I used a UIT legal coat and it was a definite advantage and I could count on 5 to 10 points per target. And I'm not a particularly good shooter.

Possibly for world class shooters like Tubb they don't see the advantage as they are very good shooters without a coat. But, also seems to me that the pictures I've seen of him in the magazines he's wearing at least a coat. Maybe, like you say, he doesn't use it for offhand tho. It might be to that people who don't spend their lives shooting aren't conditioned to the point it doesn't make any difference, but for the rest of us it does.

All the top shooters we've had at our State air gun championships wore coats, pants, and shoes. And that's strictly offhand work. Plus the serious high power shooters around here also wear coats.... for all four positions.

I'll agree that scopes won't add a whole lot to your score, but if "any sights" are allowed then you're foolish not to use them. Same goes for a coat, etc.

Of course if you're there to just have fun then you sure can shoot any way you like. But, I've always found it's a whole lot more fun to win.  Grin

PETE

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Reply #24 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Jackets. Some years back I had the chance to try a variety of jackets at the 200 yard range. I did not shoot but dry-fired at the ASSRA target with my scoped Miller. I was shocked by the stability given by the use of the NRA approved jackets, appx. 8mm thickness. They tightened around your fanny and hips, it felt like I was enclosed in a steel pipe. The reduction in wobble was remarkable. Gary Anderson was on the scene and he commented that aside from offering protection while shooting prone, that the majority of highpower shooters would simply quit because they would become frustrated when shooting offhand. David Tubbs talks about shooting from the hip rest but what about those who because of arm-hip configuration can't acheive that position? Jim Luke and Jim Feren are among those shots, great shots, who can shoot with elbow on hip. Note that Tubbs in spite of touting the line that "jackets don't help offhand" always wore one where permitted!

Dick

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
You guys are right about Tubb. He does wear a coat but it's a UIT not a NRA coat.  I have a UIT coat  as I shot a fair amount of Smallbore prone were it is surely required. In 10 M airgun since you can't use a palm rest or Hook buttplate the sticky coat is an advantage too. I will put mine on when I shoot the airgun in the UIT rules mode and not using a palm rest.

With our palm rest, hook plate rifles the sticky pads are not required.

Offhand Tubb shoots with the coat unbuttoned and even the arm zippers undone. The only advantage it has are the sticky elbow and shoulder pads. Required because the rules don't allow hook buttplates or palm rest.

There are 2 schools of thought, One is hold tight and be strapped in. The other is bone supported and steerable without the restrictions of a tight coat.  The best offhand shooters we have today go for the Bone supported steerable position.

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
Boats,

I feel you're right about the bone supported hold. My problem, and by others I suspect, is that my elbow isn't long enuf to be supported by my hip.

Bone support must not be the norm for most people as when mentioning holds the different famous old time Schuetzen shooters used, it is always mentioned when a particular shooter was able to use it.

In regard to gun support one of the reasons for the "Perch Belly" stock was so the shooter could rest the stock on the protusion of their stomach. Being famous for their beer drinking this was a fairly common feature of most of them. We tend to forget that offhand shooting of old was done in quite a different manner than we do it today, being a more "across the body" style with the shooter facing at a more 90 degree angle to the target.

PETE

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Sep 17th, 2005 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Pete, Appreciate your comments.

I do know some top level Schuetzen shooters that cannot take the hip rest position as they age and account for the lower scores they are shooting to that problem exactly. It could be rifle fit is something to look at.

One thing I find with my Anschutz M 54 is I run the hook buttplate high which makes the rifle ride low. Then raise the cheek piece in order to give me something to rest my head on.  The palm rest and final rifle positon is about the same as on my Shuttleworth Pope model Schuetzen rifle. That set up while strange at first is to my mind about just right for offhand. Low rifle high sight line and totaly bone supported.   

Another thing to look at is the series of photographs in the Russian book, Competitive Shooting by A.A Yur Yev  He shows a series of photos of Russian shooters and the progression over the years. There is a definiate movement to more back lean, lower carriage of the rifle, and more reliance on the hip rest. This is the same postion that Tubb advocates and you see with the top shooters at the modern Sillouette national matches.

I am sort of jaded on the run of match highpower shooters. I shot across the course with a service rifle while in the Coast Guard and  CG Reserve. We had a pick-up unit level team. I found most shooters very tradition bound and strapped in to a NRA coat was the way most shot offhand

Comming from a Muzzle loader and Smallbore postion background since I was a kid I was never impressed with the across the course shooters offhand ablitys.  Not to say they were not very good at prone,  wind doping, rapid fire, etc but offhand they lost a lot of points.  Tubb upset all of them when he begain his run of championships. His UIT and Airgun experence coupled with Sillouette made him able to run away from the others and set a new level. He did it totaly on offhand.

Anyway we started this on Coats like them or hate them.  I am not very concerned that they are allowed in the rules since I don't think they are any advantage. If I thought I could get a few points out of one I would surely have one on.

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Sep 17th, 2005 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Boats,

I understand your thoughts on modern gun hip rest shooting and stocks adjustable to the point that you can do almost anything with them, and agree with them. But......

I'm mostly a traditonal Schuetzen shooter, both in gun design and caliber, so this doesn't leave a lot of room for adjusting things.

I do have two gun designed for offhand work..... A German rilfe and the Schoyen-Ballard. But neither really allow me to assume a hip rest. As mentioned they were designed for a different method of holding the gun than we use today. Many, many years ago I could bend my body over enuf that I could put my elbow on my hip bone, but even then it was very uncomfortable. Wouldn't even try and attempt it today. Might not be able to straighten up.  Grin I assume many in the old days had the same problem as they got older and it's why guns were designed then to take that into account.

You're right about modern across the course shooters. If I recall right you win those type matches by being a better offhand shot. Seems I've read about the same thing for BP Shilouette shooting to.

As for coats..... As I mentioned I tried them one Winter in our indoor .22 league and did find they added point to your score. I only used the coat but can imagine with a full outfit it would have added even more points. But I haven't used one since just because I like the challenge of doing it like the old timers did.

Not to disparge anyone personally, but in the upcoming Election Day Match at our club I'll probably be the only one using a CF gun just as all the shooters did in the 1903 match Hudson set his record in. Seems kinda like cheating to use a .22 to try and beat his record. Of course the reply is..... It was legal to use it at that match, so......

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint